Notifications
Clear all

Petey crossed the Rainbow Bridge

18 Posts
12 Users
2 Likes
(@reardan-tom)
Topic starter

I've considered not posting this because there are so many others dealing with serious issues. But right now, I'll let it be known that my final sidecar co-pilot, my beloved 24/7 companion since March 2012 crossed the Rainbow bridge sometime overnight Tuesday into Wednesday. Peacefully in his sleep. Tuesday was a difficult day for him but nothing that indicated a vet visit was called for. I assisted him when his legs didn't work well. I've noticed for sometime that he was showing his age. He was two years old when I found him in the shelter after loosing Henry. Henry came after loosing Archie, my first sidecar co-pilot. This time I will not look for another. We are in the process of moving to town. Our grand daughter and husband will move in here on the farm. When we are settled in town, my plan is to volunteer at my favorite shelter. We'll soon see what the future holds.

Posted : April 19, 2024 4:19 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

I'm sorry for your loss, Tom. It is amazing how we become so attached to our four-legged friends; they really are our best friends. Would not want it any other way.Β 

Volunteering at a pet shelter sounds like a nice substitute to adoption, that way you can play with all of them and not have to buy feed for them all.

Posted : April 19, 2024 4:31 am
(@aceinsav)

Sorry to hear about Petey.Β 

Posted : April 19, 2024 4:35 am
(@prmurat1)

So sorry Tom for your loss; we loved Petey after we met him at the Sit, Stay, Ride reunion! He was the epitome of a sidecar dog and I can’t imagine how hard it must be for you… Dogs are such an important part of our life and they create such a big vacuum when they leave us! Take care of yourself my friend.

Posted : April 19, 2024 4:35 am
(@reardan-tom)
Topic starter

Ahhh.... the SSR reunion!! What a good time that was! It was like we'd known each other for years. Although that was the first time many of us had met. The only one of the group I'd met previously was Ned aka Drone here.Β  I'm so very grateful to Eric and Geneva for producing both the SSR videos. One who wasn't present at the SSR reunion at Lake Five is Gary McCluen but I've met him and become good friends with him as well in his own territory. Meeting Rhonda and Mooloo at the reunion was a real pleasure and she remained a real friend until her passing. That was very sad. And of course there is Ron, who I remain in pretty constant touch with through a mutual friend.Β  I often think now of Cher singing, "If I could turn back time...." or the Beatles- "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end." But, alas, the clock keeps ticking. Always.

Posted : April 19, 2024 5:26 am
(@big-tom)

Sorry for your loss. We sure do get attached to them, don't we?

Posted : April 19, 2024 5:44 am
(@scott-h)

Sorry to read about Petey.Β  A dog is a real gift.Β  Volunteering at the shelter sounds epic.Β  You'll have the opportunity to help make a lot of people and dogs happy.

Hold my keyboard and watch this! πŸ™ƒ

Posted : April 19, 2024 5:45 am
(@smitty901)

Β The loss of a love partner is serious. It leaves a place in the heart once filled empty.

Posted : April 19, 2024 6:36 am
(@joe-norris)

So sorry to hear of your loss.Β  It is hard when we lose our furry friends, but they will be waiting for us when we ourselves cross the bridge.Β  God bless our beloved pets.Β  All dogs to to heaven!!

Ride on!!
Joe

Posted : April 19, 2024 6:38 am
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

My thoughts are with you.Β  Just lost my fuzzy buddy too.Β 

He hated the car and thought the sidecar was a really bad idea but I loved him anyway.

The hard part is when you turn to do something (like throw him a bit of sandwich) and realize there is no one to catch it.

Posted : April 19, 2024 10:27 am
(@reardan-tom)
Topic starter

Sorry Drew. I know just what you mean. They become so engrained a part of our everyday habits, it's a different world without them. I've been through this many times but Petey and Archie have been the hardest. Although at the time, I thought Henry, Ralfy, Bubba, Jake, Toby, and a bunch of others were just as hard. Petey and Archie were primo sidecar sidekicks. The best of the best. 'Nuff said.Β 

Click here to view the video.Β Β 

And- Sit, Stay, Ride, the story of America's sidecar dogs. A documentary well worth watching.

Posted : April 19, 2024 11:27 am
(@ned)

Nice video, Tom.Β  I first met you and Petey at Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground in 2013.Β  He and Kirby were definitely tuned in to the same wavelength.Β  Here's a pic of Petey taking in the late afternoon rays --->

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : April 19, 2024 12:32 pm
 MGV8
(@mgv8)

Tis always a hard day when one of our loved ones passes. Alway a tad harder when that unconditional love, Β is not there any more. As you've known before but it never gets easier. Take care and spread that love a tad, I am sure the residents at the shelter will really appreciate it.Β 

I'll shed a silent tear for Petey. Not that it will really help but I will do it any waysΒ 

Posted : April 19, 2024 4:41 pm
(@reardan-tom)
Topic starter

Quote from DRONE on April 19, 2024, 5:32 pm

Nice video, Tom.Β  I first met you and Petey at Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground in 2013.Β  He and Kirby were definitely tuned in to the same wavelength.Β  Here's a pic of Petey taking in the late afternoon raysΒ 

Thank you Drone!! I appreciate the fine photo!! I have several of Kirby but won't do a search for those right now. Might have sent them to you via email in the past.

Posted : April 20, 2024 3:09 am
(@reardan-tom)
Topic starter

OK. Just one more for those who are still watching this thread... This is Petey at the shelter the day I found him. My wife was with me but hadn't seen him laying quietly on his cot. She'd passed by thinking it was an empty kennel. I said, "Hey look! Maybe this guy will work!" Yes he did. "Worked" extremely well for a little more than 12 years. He was 2 years when I got him. How could anyone resist these eyes? "Please take me home!"

Posted : April 20, 2024 5:16 am
MGV8 and SwampFox reacted
Page 1 / 2