Clear all

BMW R1100 GS Based Rig Project

54 Posts
10 Users
22 Likes
(@ned)

Quote from sheath on December 22, 2023, 4:53 pm

In the category of  "If it drives well don't worry about the measurements":

After installing the Dedome inspired parts, and going for a ride, I took measurements, as I did right before removing the DMC kit.   Interesting results, in that when the DMC kit was first installed and I checked trail it measured 3/4".  I used the same measuring tools and criteria, and got different results, that I don't believe this time.  The steering feels really nice, so I don't care.  But I find it interesting.  Maybe the cold has just frozen what few brain cells are left... lol

Scott--I've never really understood the DeDome drawings and measurements.  It seems like if you move one thing forward a bit and another thing backward by the same amount you should end up where you started.  But of course you don't.  Not with DeDome.  My lack of understanding has not stopped me from applying the DeDome mod to three different rigs I've owned.  All of which steered stupendously well!  Carry on.  --DRONE

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : December 22, 2023 6:56 pm
(@dirtydr)

I really prefer a motorcycle tire on a stock front end, or a LL since the camber changes and still affects the contact patch when you turn the front end. The only place I would prefer a car tire is with a Center hub setup where the contact patch stays mostly flat when turning.

Posted : December 23, 2023 1:29 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

Quote from DRONE on December 22, 2023, 11:56 pm
Quote from sheath on December 22, 2023, 4:53 pm

In the category of  "If it drives well don't worry about the measurements":

After installing the Dedome inspired parts, and going for a ride, I took measurements, as I did right before removing the DMC kit.   Interesting results, in that when the DMC kit was first installed and I checked trail it measured 3/4".  I used the same measuring tools and criteria, and got different results, that I don't believe this time.  The steering feels really nice, so I don't care.  But I find it interesting.  Maybe the cold has just frozen what few brain cells are left... lol

Scott--I've never really understood the DeDome drawings and measurements.  It seems like if you move one thing forward a bit and another thing backward by the same amount you should end up where you started.  But of course you don't.  Not with DeDome.  My lack of understanding has not stopped me from applying the DeDome mod to three different rigs I've owned.  All of which steered stupendously well!  Carry on.  --DRONE

That really is what it's about. 🙂 

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : December 23, 2023 5:27 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

Quote from DirtyDR on December 23, 2023, 6:29 am

I really prefer a motorcycle tire on a stock front end, or a LL since the camber changes and still affects the contact patch when you turn the front end. The only place I would prefer a car tire is with a Center hub setup where the contact patch stays mostly flat when turning.

New ADV tire is on the list of things for next riding season. 🙂  There have been a few great choices that are already time tested, so thinking about trying something different to add to the list of "naughty or nice."   Going to the USCA Rally in June (Woo Hoo!), then doing some mid west touring has me considering something on the more street oriented side though.  Then change it out for something aggressive when back home.  So that, and a special electronic upgrade is next on the list.  

Posted : December 23, 2023 5:35 am
(@davefran)

The liquid cooled BMWgs's use a wider front Rim and a larger front tire has anyone mounted one of them on the older GS narrow rims, otherwise sheath the 17" front wheel and a dual sport rear in front is a decent plan.

Dana you can have it anyway you want it but chs rigs at least most of them built here have a camber curve also, we can go on about tire patches forever larger is more braking. But if I where assembling a GS to use as an adv rig it would have a motorcycle tire and no LL .

Virtually every Euro NL or German builders build around auto tires , so whatever.

Posted : December 23, 2023 1:06 pm
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

Quote from davefran on December 23, 2023, 6:06 pm

The liquid cooled BMWgs's use a wider front Rim and a larger front tire has anyone mounted one of them on the older GS narrow rims, otherwise sheath the 17" front wheel and a dual sport rear in front is a decent plan.

Dana you can have it anyway you want it but chs rigs at least most of them built here have a camber curve also, we can go on about tire patches forever larger is more braking. But if I where assembling a GS to use as an adv rig it would have a motorcycle tire and no LL .

Virtually every Euro NL or German builders build around auto tires , so whatever.

Not looking at changing wheels, or tire size.  Been doing some Google searching, looking for tires that haven't been tried yet.  Something in the newer generation of tires that makes sense for sidecar use (load rating, stiff carcass, etc.).  I'd prefer it to wear correctly and be short lived (5K miles is plenty for me).  I'll be able to put enough mileage on the bike this year that whatever is chosen will get a good workout & review.   With a bit of good fortune, it will be worn out by the end of the riding season, and something new/different can be put on for '25. 🙂

Posted : December 23, 2023 1:53 pm
(@dirtydr)

I know that CHS front ends have camber changes, though not as pronounced. I put a lot of miles on my R1150GS rig, 60,000 +, and never altered the front end from stock. The GS rig was put together for ADV riding and I did a lot of off road and bad road traveling with it, I much preferred the motorcycle tire on the front. I always wondered about putting a motorcycle tire on the front of my EML rig but the car tires just wore forever. Euro rigs, for the most part anyway, are more street oriented and as you say designed around car tires. As with everything in life it just depends what you like and what you are comfortable with.

Posted : December 24, 2023 12:59 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

Quote from DirtyDR on December 24, 2023, 5:59 am

I know that CHS front ends have camber changes, though not as pronounced. I put a lot of miles on my R1150GS rig, 60,000 +, and never altered the front end from stock. The GS rig was put together for ADV riding and I did a lot of off road and bad road traveling with it, I much preferred the motorcycle tire on the front. I always wondered about putting a motorcycle tire on the front of my EML rig but the car tires just wore forever. Euro rigs, for the most part anyway, are more street oriented and as you say designed around car tires. As with everything in life it just depends what you like and what you are comfortable with.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the ME888 tire based on your and others positive reviews.  Seems like a very well sorted and liked tire for this rig, and type of riding.  🙂

Looking forward to see what comes of trying one of the new generation tires.

Posted : December 24, 2023 6:44 am
(@swampfox)

FWIW, on our former R1100GS/CSM rig with stock front wheel, we had satisfactory service with the sidecar tires from Duro, Heidenau or Metzler -- yes, tube tires.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : December 25, 2023 4:02 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

Quote from SwampFox on December 25, 2023, 9:02 am

FWIW, on our former R1100GS/CSM rig with stock front wheel, we had satisfactory service with the sidecar tires from Duro, Heidenau or Metzler -- yes, tube tires.

I was thinking about the Duro, Was all excited that I'd be the first to put it on a BMW GS rig.  But then ran across a post (I think from you) that you liked the Duro.  Imagine my disappointment... lol  I was sure that would have been a worthy discovery. 😉

In seriousness, Y'all have been doing a great job of trying tires, and giving excellent feedback on the plus/minus of them.  That is what really spurred me on to try something new, and then provide an objective review at the end of '24.

Posted : December 25, 2023 4:35 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

One of the things unique to my rig (or maybe not?)  In order to get the Telelever axle out, the intake manifold on the left side had to be unbolted and moved slightly.   The rubber boss for the spark plug clip was in the way.  Of course that meant that even with careful re-installation the seal doesn't make good contact all the way around.  So I just ordered a pair of manifolds (right and left).  Found a company in England that has the OEM units in stock at a good price.   Under $130 delivered. 🙂

Current manifolds show no signs of external deterioration, so I'll see if they can be salvaged (rejuvenate the seals & rubber), and then vacuum bag for the future.  Noticed not only are they spendy, but places are starting to show "out of stock".   Great opportunity to purchase a carb sync tool and ensure the throttle cables and bodies are adjusted correctly. 🙂

Posted : December 31, 2023 6:55 am
(@davefran)

Hmmm on the 1150 one has to just slide the throttle body off the manifold to get the telelever pivot pin out.DB

Posted : December 31, 2023 9:38 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

Quote from davefran on December 31, 2023, 2:38 pm

Hmmm on the 1150 one has to just slide the throttle body off the manifold to get the telelever pivot pin out.DB

To support your point, the repair manual makes no mention of moving any fuel system component.  Maybe the manifold is slightly different to the norm.  It was a whisker away from clearing the boss for the sparkplug lead clip (As measured by Fluffy the cat). 

If I was writing install instructions for a "kit", certainly wouldn't change from the info in the repair manual based on this singular event.  🙂

Posted : January 1, 2024 5:19 am
(@scott-h)
Topic starter

New intake manifolds showed up today. 🙂  Wow, the sealing surface is tiny. 🙁   I get Germans are proud of their engineering, and ability to build at very tight tolerances, but I'm not impressed.  Japanese can build just as tight, and yet tend to build a more robust product.   No wonder experienced BMW techs recommend replacing these if the mounting is disturbed. 

Posted : January 16, 2024 11:44 am
(@miles-ladue)

Ah yes.....the BMW parts are designed and manufactured to always be in need of replacement, whereas the Honda parts are designed and manufactured to have the original part last a lifetime.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : January 16, 2024 6:47 pm
Page 2 / 4