Notifications
Clear all

Well...Dang It !

82 Posts
20 Users
47 Likes
(@miles-ladue)
Topic starter

New thread, in which we each get an opportunity to unload a small bit of frustration over something that happened in your personal life....Not Politically inclined...PLEASE.

Example, and I shall start:

Today, one week before my wife and I were scheduled to leave on a 2 week trip to Europe...flying into Paris, then off to Prague, 2 days and nights in Prague, then down to Nuremberg, Germany, 2 days and nights in Nuremberg, then start our Christmas Markets cruise with Viking Cruise lines, up the Danube River, visiting several smaller villages and enjoying their Christmas Markets (hence the name of the cruise), with 2 days and nights in Vienna, Austria, and finally with 2 days and nights in Budapest, Hungary..............

As of this morning we had to CANCEL the entire trip.

My wife had to make the very hard decision that her health was just not up to it at this time, and I know that was a very difficult decision to make. I fully understand, and respect her decision. I have called Viking Cruise Lines, asked if we could transfer the entire trip over to December 2024, or December 2025, and the answer (very politely) was NO. 

This was a lesson learned, and we shall make things proper in the future, although, now that we have our own 60' Dutch Barge currently moored in Malahide, Ireland, there will most likely be no need to book a cruise with a commercial cruise line (possibly...but not likely)

Our error in all this is NOT purchasing the Trip Insurance. To save a few extra dollars on the cost of Trip Insurance, it cost us the entire price of this 2 week trip, which was all done at the high end, meaning, Business Class air all the way there and back, the Explorer Suite on the ship, of which there are only two of these cabins on the entire ship, plus the 2 days/nights in Prague, and the 2 days/nights in Nuremberg, so it was a pricey excursion.....that now we will not be taking.

When making an error of this magnitude, LEARN from it, and learn..I shall.

So, whoa is me.....have to stay home...on the ranch....(there might be a song in that), and endure Christmas here, alone, with my wife, that is not up to doing much at the moment. 

But ultimately her health is much more important than any silly cruise up the Danube River visiting Christmas Markets in olde European villages and towns.

I will end with......Well...Dang It !

Oh, for Sidecar and Motorcycle content.....both Steib sidecars and Zundapp motorcycles were founded and produced in Nuremberg, Germany, and I had hoped to locate, if possible, their original manufacturing locations, and snap a few photos.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : November 28, 2023 5:49 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Hard to "like" that, but as the mighty Harry Callahan once said "A person's got to know their limitations."  Glad that discretion has become the better part of valor because spending three weeks in a European hospital because an existing condition would be much more expensive than canceling a trip.  Sad that there is NO provision for cancellation or rebooking.  sigh.

My dang it came during my first full contract teaching position.  We made the decision to purchase a home in the small town.  Fully leveraged mind you.  The truly "dang it" happened because I accepted the position offered, even though I knew at the start that the school board had massacred the superintendent leaving the princpal to hire.  The board massacred the principal that spring.  They would have massacred me as well, but decided to lead me along for the ride. 

In 2008 the world melted down, the board threw me out and we walked away from a (still) fully leveraged house in a small town.  The only consolation was that we were amongst millions of others who had a foreclosure as a result of avarice on so many levels. 

I learned a lot from that.  I have multiple advanced degrees from the University of Hard Knocks.

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : November 28, 2023 6:25 am
Reardan Tom reacted
CCjon
(@jan-2)

There should be something in Life's Contract stipulating that you must buy the contingency insurance... after the age of 60!

Sorry for your lost trip FM, start planning for popcorn and hot cider (or a good Malbec wine) around the fireplace on Christmas eve.  Next year you two will be cruising the waterways of the old country.

Posted : November 28, 2023 11:02 am
Reardan Tom reacted
(@don)

Flying Monkeys, I've very sorry your wife is having health issues and that you had to bail on that wonderful trip.  I know my wife and I have far fewer days of travel ahead of us than we've had behind us.

Posted : November 28, 2023 12:02 pm
(@scott-h)

Wow!  I'm with Thane, hard to hit the "like" button, but glad she is going to be okay in time.   A nicely decorated home and tree on the ranch will make for a relaxing time.  One year we bought chestnuts and roasted them on an open fire (fireplace).  That's another one that should be a song.  😉  Was pretty fun.  Actually tasty too.

Any thoughts to lighting up Battlewing Galactica, and going for a "Sleigh Ride" if it isn't raining or snowing?

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : November 28, 2023 12:29 pm
(@kevin-huddy)

I’m going to offer a different perspective on something that was  a “Why me?” event in my life.  

I had cancer. It was discovered shortly after both Annie and I retired when I was 60. We had moved to Montana from Alaska and were planning on doing a great deal of riding.  And so it went for the first ten months, but then came the cancer.  I was fortunate in some regards.  First is that I had Annie by my side to support me and navigate the medical process.  Second, I had a type of throat cancer that has high survival rate, but a long and painful recovery process.  The radiation I received caused third degree burns in my throat.  I couldn’t swallow anything for over three months, not even my own spit, was in the hospital for three months and was so drugged up I was out for 6 weeks.  But what I did learn from this experience was how fortunate I was throughout my life.  While in the hospital on an oncology ward I was witness to people undergoing true heartache and sorrow. The very young with no chance of survival, their parents and the elderly with no one to care.  The perspective I gained about what is important and what ultimately does not matter, the meaning of complete love and friendship, and how tenuous is the life we lead. 

Posted : November 28, 2023 12:45 pm
(@sidewise)

FM, sorry to hear your wife is feeling poorly and trip plans were canceled, betcha you buy that trip insurance next time. I hope she recovers soon. Christmas at home can be just as enjoyable and then a summer cruise is much warmer.

Posted : November 28, 2023 12:48 pm
(@calvin-watson)

I hope the wifey gets to feeling better. Sorry your trip went to hell.

Posted : November 28, 2023 2:31 pm
 MGV8
(@mgv8)

Geesus, Sorry to hear about your wife's health. As with all things trips can come and go. Health is more important. And Kevin. Nasty story, I never would have figured when we met last.. My own Damnit tales don't even compare so I won't bore you all but our one chance to visit Oz went by the wayside cause I fussed too much about customers and employees.

Take care 

Posted : November 28, 2023 3:24 pm
(@miles-ladue)
Topic starter

Well, Dang It.....this past Tuesday my wife woke me up very early in the morning, for an emergency trip to the Urgent Care facility, that is only 22 miles away from us, and due to the info shared with her at that Urgent care visit, is why we decided to cancel our trip to Europe for 2 weeks that would have started next week.

Today I took her to the Kaiser Permanente' Medical Center in Olympia, and after being there for a little more than 5 hours, the diagnosis is not good.        She has a heart issue that cannot be remedied, only watched, and cared for as best as possible. Not terminal, just have to take things much easier.

Dang it !!!!!  Living with me is not easy, so..........how am I going to make things easier for her?

My wife lost her first husband (of 15 years) to Colon Cancer, and she was with him, by his side, until the end. She then spent the next 10 years alone, until I came along, and I secretly vowed to myself that I would never make her go through that again, and leave her as a widow a 2nd time.

Dang it !!!!!

The sun will come out...tomorrow !

Posted : December 1, 2023 12:17 pm
Brstr reacted
(@calvin-watson)

So sorry to hear about the wife. Prayers go out.

Posted : December 1, 2023 12:42 pm
(@miles-ladue)
Topic starter

Cal, thanks, but the best medicine  is for you to  go take  Sidecar  Willie out for a ride. 

Posted : December 1, 2023 2:24 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)

FM,  

You are already providing the most important medicine known to man, giving her the knowledge that you are there for her no matter what, now, tomorrow, always. Knowing that you have her back and will never let her down. That will give her the courage and hope to keep on.

Jan

Posted : December 1, 2023 2:54 pm
(@qwik)

Miles, after our conversations in Spirit lake I feel like I know the lady. I truly wish her (and you) the very best. Hopefully her heart heals or at least doesn’t degrade.  I have no doubt that you will stick by her side. Probably drive her a bit crazy. But that’s OK. You are one of the good guys. And I’m proud to be able to call you a friend

Posted : December 1, 2023 4:07 pm
Brstr reacted
(@ned)

Miles--plenty of guys standing by to lend whatever assistance might be needed.  Today, tomorrow, next week, next year. Don't be afraid to ask.  It's called a community.

I'll hit you up offline.

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : December 1, 2023 4:33 pm
Brstr reacted
Page 1 / 6