Camping with Wings

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Hay guys an Gals

Camping is something i intend to be doing and i wondered what items you have found it useful to carry? I know  for certain i will forget stuff  so what works for you. site books etc best places to go. Just me and pup =)

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 28, 2024 2:01 am
(@metalcarver)

If you're a geezer then no hesitation, a stand up tent, a cot, and a chair.  If you're comfortable, then you can deal with a lot. 

Posted : January 28, 2024 6:09 am
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Chuckling here =) I was thinking of a Tepee for that reason. One of my challenges is getting up off the floor when there are few supports around. I normally sleep in a chair because i find it much easier.

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 28, 2024 8:44 pm
(@swampfox)

Quote from metalcarver on January 28, 2024, 11:09 am

...a stand up tent, a cot, and a chair.  If you're comfortable, then you can deal with a lot. 

^^I concur^^

Quote from Steve Ives on January 29, 2024, 1:44 am

... I normally sleep in a chair because i find it much easier.

They're kinda big, so there may not sufficient be room to pack one of the patio chaise lounge chairs in your sidecar, but I've known a couple fellows that have slept well in such (including a young fellow in his 20's that, after one night in his brand-spanking new hammock tent thing, preferred the lounge chair):

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : January 29, 2024 1:22 am
(@scott-h)

Bring Fido website has been a great resource.  Looks like there might be a Bring Fido app now.  No idea how that works.  Some facilities can be very restrictive towards pets.  Knowing those restrictions before showing up was very helpful.  

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : January 29, 2024 5:42 am
(@metalcarver)

Posted : January 29, 2024 7:12 am
(@metalcarver)

Since the original question was about what not to forget, hell, don't ask me, I'm 75.  At last count I figured there are 2.3 gazillion gadgets made for camping.  So there are probably differing opinions.  So, some gadgets that I like playing with:

For a water I used to carry a 5 gallon jug for the desert which was awkward at best.  This  is a handy tough collapsible 1 gallon water bottle with a handle at both ends to make pouring easy. Six of them would be cheaper than a jerry can and easier to pack.  They sit on the bottom handle square like a milk jug   And they can be worked into odd packing places.  So far no leaks.  (two trips)

If I'm truck camping I'll take a full size camp cot but for on the road with the outfit I got one of those folding backpacking cots.  It's only a few inches off the ground but it's much more (IMHO) comfortable than an inflatable.  The advantage for a geezer is that you can roll off it onto your knees and use the chair to hand yourself up rather than doing an imitation of a beetle on its back.  It also fits easily into a two man backpacking tent.

The chair is a galumphy Browning camp chair with arms but it sags enough that it's comfortable to sleep in.  For colder country I use a stadium blanket,  waterproof on one side and a flannel flip side.  I put the flannel side down on the chair so the sleeping bag can slip around as I squirm and thrash.

Um, don't use a pee bottle with a snap on top.  Just sayin'

For camp light I really like string lights. More diffuse than a lantern so shadows are not as harsh.  String it over the area you are using or drape over the tent .  On low, the batteries (rechargeable) can last all night.  New moon in a rain forest is really dark.

And for the most difficult tasks ever to confront civilized man, in one word, or so

Huggies wipes

Especially in the desert.  For it's intended purpose as well as spit showers, doing dishes, and with a dab of sanitizing gel, will do a passable job of removing grease from hands.  Saves on water.

Jet Boil - in two minutes you can have good hot coffee.

For cooking I use a Trangia alcohol stove.  HEET works fine as a fuel.  In well ventilated areas.

Posted : January 29, 2024 11:43 am
(@brstr)

Marbles. 

Take em all.

Posted : January 31, 2024 12:38 pm
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Lots of good info there for me to mull over. Tepee hot tent i like not that i intend camping in the middle or winter but you never know; i like the front swinging out and up for a porch, being able to stand is a plus. Fishing in the UK i used to use an oval brolly, bit like your beach shelters but much stronger. You could tuck a cot right at the back and have the whole front open. Magic when you had a lake to yourself =) String lights mmm nice idea.

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 31, 2024 2:12 pm
(@ned)

As another member of the old campers club, I use a cot in my tent but not one of those cots that hug the ground.  I use a nice tall one that doubles as a place to sit.  But I also carry a chair.  And, again, not some camping chair that's 8 inches off the ground but a nice tall one that I can use as a reading chair or to pull on my socks.  It goes without saying that you need a tent big enough for the cot and the chair.

I have a "Trip Pack List" that I use when packing up for a camping trip (imaginative name, what?) that I could send to you if you PM me your email address (or anybody for that matter.) Has maybe about 75 items on it.

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : January 31, 2024 5:47 pm
 MGV8
(@mgv8)

Spent a lot of time, tripping and Camping.. I think it evolves every time.. Now that I have the sidecars my camp kit grew exponentially. Just about two of every thing.. LOL. I am seriously trying to pare it down.  My list of essentials.  Tent you can stand up in with a big enough vestibule to get your stuff out of the weather if rough camping and it turns nasty. Chair, your choice, I have a Kermit. Got to get those leg extensions. Cot, to get you off the ground, Insulated air mattress. Adds comfort and keeps the cold from creeping in from the air space below you. Sleeping bag, rated for a lot colder than you think you will be camping in. You can always sleep on top of it, but if it's cold and it's not good enough, you won't sleep well. Ask me how I know that!!. Some sort of stove, your choice, so you can boil water. I just replaced my Jet boil with another. To Make that all important Coffee, or even a freeze Dried Meal.. In Case you arrive at camp and there ain't a pub open or one around for miles. 🙂  I have a small selection of meals and supplies as a just in case measure.  A small Hatchet. Pounding tent pegs, splitting wood. Etc.  Some fire starting material. Some way to carry water, At least 2 litres. Head lamp or lantern.  I carry several of each so they are handy in different spots.  First aid kit. Those are the essentials that I carry in two Water Proof bags and basically the same kit as I use to carry when I two wheel traveled. size of tent has changed. From a Big Agnes Big house 4 to a Redverz Solo. The Solo actually packs smaller than the Big Agnes. 

Options I have added and am now in the process of deleting or changing them up.. Big tarp, poles for tarp,  Ground sheet, small carpet, Cooler, Big and small, Extra stoves, yes plural, Kitchen kit with various pots, pans etc. Mine got huge and is now getting smaller. Water carrying bottles, bags. Tables, I carry two now. Really handy and have become essential.  Battery banks for charging devices off the rig. Personal items, I always take too many clothes. Always arrive home with stuff I never have worn. Might be why people keep their distance towards the end of a camping trip. 🙂 Plus I always take hiking boots but never seem to use them. Best laid plans. But some comfortable shoes/sandals for when you get to camp as it is very nice to get out of the riding boots after a long day. A nice towel, if you ever find that shower while in the back woods.    What ever tools you think will make life more comfy while in camp or on the road. Axe, Saw, various ropes and Carabiners. You get the idea. Have fun. 

Posted : February 11, 2024 5:36 am
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Thanks for taking the time to scribble your thoughts and experience down. Charging battery banks off the rig? I am thinking of a portable power station, so can i actually charge that off the Wing? I wonder how much power an electric blanket would use, have to check that one out =) Is it safe to strap longer stuff between the bike and the chair?

Thanks again

Steve

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : February 11, 2024 5:52 am