Notifications
Clear all

why can't I reply to responses

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@mikem)
Topic starter

I can't reply to responses on a topic I posted.  I'm logged in but it keeps telling me to log in. When I try to log in it tells me I'm already logged in.

Posted : April 9, 2023 8:52 am
(@ned)

Nobody knows why this forum software does what it does.  Though our Administrator Jerry knows more than any of us. LOL

It might have something to do with your browser not playing nice with the forum software.  The first thing I'd do is to refresh the page when I'm looking at the thread, then try hitting "Reply."  Another thing to try is to click on "Quote" instead of "Reply" and see if that works.  If it doesn't, I'd restart my computer in order to clear all the caches, then try logging in all over again.

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : April 9, 2023 11:33 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

You’re not alone, Mike. It seems to behave somewhat randomly. One week’s error message is replaced by next week’s error message. Drone’s advice is best  refresh the browser after logging in  

The board are discussing it, but the solution isn’t simple or without risk of data loss.   

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : April 9, 2023 12:30 pm
(@reardan-tom)

I have the same problem. I find it easiest just to stay logged on once it realizes that I really am logged on. Been several days now but I expect one day soon to go through the process all again. When that happens, I'll view as a guest until I feel it's important to log in again.

Posted : April 9, 2023 12:35 pm
(@webmaster)
Admin

Yes, there is some kind of magic going on that I can't figure out. And errors are not even consistent. Some people can't log in, others are getting various 'locked out' or 'magic link' messages, and some can log in but only away from their homes. Which means their local wifi network or their ISP is blocking them. 

The forum application recently had an update, as did the authentication plugin, and WordPress itself (the website software). I have been communicating with the authentication plugin company now for over a week. Very frustrating. 

I have backups but if I reverted to a backup from a week or two ago all the changes and posts since then will be lost. Not good. 

At this point I can't even really define what the problem is. Can't state it clearly. It's more than just logins. The people who have emailed me have been very patient and polite but that won't last forever. I am working on some alternate solutions... 

For anyone reading these posts who can't log in to reply please send me an email directly to admin@sidecar.com. It would be very helpful if you could include a screenshot of your error screen, or even take a pic with your phone. 

Jerry M
Webmaster 

Jerry
I fly (and ride) to free my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted : April 9, 2023 2:01 pm
(@mikem)
Topic starter

Good information. I was able to reply yesterday but today same thing. I don't want people to think I'm not grateful for the feedback they've given. I tried posting a response yesterday to this topic and it would not  post after i hit "submit". 

Posted : April 10, 2023 7:16 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Quote from mike m on April 10, 2023, 12:16 pm

Good information. I was able to reply yesterday but today same thing. I don't want people to think I'm not grateful for the feedback they've given. I tried posting a response yesterday to this topic and it would not  post after i hit "submit". 

I often find that replies take a LONG time to complete. The progress bar is really small so it looks like it isn’t working. 

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : April 10, 2023 12:58 pm
(@ned)

Quote from Thane Lewis on April 10, 2023, 5:58 pm
Quote from mike m on April 10, 2023, 12:16 pm

I often find that replies take a LONG time to complete. The progress bar is really small so it looks like it isn’t working. 

Agree with Thane.  I find a longer post with a picture might take up to two minutes to appear, and you can't navigate away from the page while waiting.  You have to just wait, or go to a different tab on your browser.  On the other hand, a small edit (like fixing a typo) on an existing post will usually appear in under 20 seconds.  

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : April 10, 2023 1:26 pm
(@2FLTC)

I'm log in ever post except one I want to reply. It's in the for sale. It says to log in and when I try it does nothing.

Posted : July 7, 2023 2:29 am
(@miles-ladue)

Quote from 2FLTC on July 7, 2023, 7:29 am

I'm log in ever post except one I want to reply. It's in the for sale. It says to log in and when I try it does nothing.

@2FLTC, reset your modem. Actually turn the modem off that is in your house, or office, wherever you are using the computer...let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then restart it. That should make everything work well again.

That was the tip given to me by Jerry, our USCA website guy, and it worked for me, as I was having the same problem.

If the issue is with your hand held cell phone, that too receives and sends signals via the house modem....so Do It .....

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : July 7, 2023 3:29 am
(@webmaster)
Admin

Here is another thing to try, something I have noticed over time. Sometimes when I log in the forums menu bar doesn't reflect that I am logged in. The status doesn't change. If I navigate to another forum, like "General Discussion", then the menu bar shows I am logged in. And that means I can post or reply. 

By default after you log in it should take you to the "Activity" page where you see all the most recent posts. This is most useful as you can read and reply to recent posts. To navigate to another forum you click on the left-most 'button' labeled "Forum". Then you will see the long list of categories (blue bars) and forums. Scroll down and you will see the "General Discussion" forum. That is how you manually navigate around. 

So the next time you log in and it doesn't apparently do anything, see if this technique of going to another forum will fix that for you. 

Here are some snapshots of the menu bar. 

Here is what it looks like logged in: 

Jerry
I fly (and ride) to free my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted : July 7, 2023 4:05 am
(@aceinsav)

I find the above method works best when I get logged out and it doesn't look like my sign in is working 

however I have to say the original complaint of 2FLTC is a bit odd, can respond to one post but not another 

Posted : July 7, 2023 4:13 am
(@2FLTC)

Happening again, it is a bit odd I have to say.  Might be time to move on.

Posted : July 18, 2023 4:04 am
(@smitty901)

Hang in there  sight has issue some times.

Posted : July 18, 2023 4:43 am
(@peter-pan)

There were several weeks I was unable to log into the forum... 

Big Hurra for finally be able to log on today. Let's see for how long this "donkey joy" will stay.

I am now back for a month from a Europe (GB+IRE) trip with my son. He had just the right vehicle for those single lane roads. Royal Enfield 500 classic solo.

Posted : July 24, 2023 8:24 am
Page 1 / 2