Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

New Gen 3 Dream sidecar by Hannigan

PreviousPage 2 of 2

That hoist and shop is really nice.

CCjon and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeys

FM, we're jealous.

I'd have room for a hoist like that, but can't convince my better half that her car needs fresh air and should live outdoors... 24/7. 

Thane Lewis and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Thane LewisFlyinMonkeys

@CCjon, you know you want to live closer to DRONE, and live in The Great Pacific Northwest, where there are more sidecar owners than any other region of these United States, so............I will sell you my ranch 3 years from now...so you can move up here, and have ownership of my shop, and be able to store 20+ sidecar rigs under cover and inside garages.

I mean, if you are truly a Texan....what is a Texan without a RANCH.

My Ranch can be yours. By then all my critters will be long gone, so you and the missus can start your own herd of Scottish Highlander cattle.

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents
Quote from FlyinMonkeys on December 7, 2022, 11:26 pm

@CCjon, you know you want to live closer to DRONE, and live in The Great Pacific Northwest, where there are more sidecar owners than any other region of these United States, so............I will sell you my ranch 3 years from now...so you can move up here, and have ownership of my shop, and be able to store 20+ sidecar rigs under cover and inside garages.

I mean, if you are truly a Texan....what is a Texan without a RANCH.

My Ranch can be yours. By then all my critters will be long gone, so you and the missus can start your own herd of Scottish Highlander cattle.

I was going to ask if goats came with the sale.  Then again, I do have a source in the NOT FLAT state of Nebraska for miniature Scottish Highland cattle if that’s a deal maker.  Alternately we could give Orygun a run for its money and make the Sandhills of Nebraska a node of sidecar hoolignism!

FlyinMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeys

Thane, currently there are two olde goats that come with the ranch, plus 7 olde chickens. The plan is that once all the outdoor critters have gone to that big ranch in the sky, that is when we will sell................or...............if someone wanted to take over and care for our olde critters, then they could buy it now...........or............if (not likely) we decided to stay here for eternity, we might have to get some of those miniature Scottish Highland cattle via your connections. Would love to sell this ranch to a family that has kids in FFA or 4H, as it has all the barns and buildings to support that life.

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis

Now DONE with all the wanted/needed maintenance issues, and improvements to my new sidecar, these past 4 days I have slowly been making some changes/improvements to the rig, whilst I had it in the shop and on the car lift.

I removed the Kuryakyn windwings that were under the bikes' mirrors, and installed baker Built air wings, as they offer a larger surface area to divert air away from the upper torso and hands of the rider.

Also removed the Kuryakyn windwings that were on the lower sides of the fairing, for the same reason as stated above.

As most of us are aware, with a sidecar attached to a motorcycle, we now have created a funnel of air that channels between the bike and the sidecar, which is more noticeable when it is very cold out. Some riders divert that funnel of air by different means. I found that the Baker Built air wings...whilst they make look chunky and not as fashionable as the Kuryakyn products, do function better.

The bike already came with the Kuryakyn air wings on it, when I bought it, so there was no wasted money on my part.

Baker Built also has front/lower leg wings, to block the air even lower, so I installed those too.

All of the mid-fairing and upper air wings are adjustable, so a rider can divert the air according to needs, whether cold, or hot.

Additionally, since I previously cut down the windshield on the sidecar...cut 1.5" off the top...then installed the Saeng TA windshield trim (as previously noted in another post), this caused the original tonneau cover to be ever so slightly loose on the front sides. Didn't flop in the wind, but on the latest ride back from Eugene, where Ben Franklin was having a new Leading Link front end built for his 2021 Honda AT/AS-DCT by 54vintage, I found that in a pretty hard rain I got some of that rain driven past the edges of the tonneau cover, and into the sidecar. Maybe it was the 100+ mph that caused that rain to be pushed past the tonneau cover, or maybe...oh...who cares...all I know is that I got some rain inside the sidecar.

SO....I ordered a small SNAP installation kit, only 6 snaps and the small tools to install the snaps. Went through the process, and installed 4 new snaps onto/through the tonneau cover, and onto the sides of the sidecar. Looks good, fits better, and now I have to wait for it to rain, so I can go test to see if it works.

Also installed a short piece of rubber trim, only on the left side of the sidecar, where the rain and wind gets channeled between the bike and sidecar, and this new 9" piece of rubber trim is designed to stop any wind or rain that "might" creep under the newly tightened tonneau cover, and channel that creeping wind or rain along the side of the sidecar, and not allow it to creep into the sidecar interior.

All in, the snap kit, and the rubber trim cost me less than $ 18.00, and installation was a breeze.

Not great pictures, but...without pictures, it never happened.  It's a little hard to see, but I added 2 new snaps to each forward side of the tonneau cover.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Ben Franklin has reacted to this post.
Ben Franklin

Surprised you did not go with the twist fasteners.

FlyinMonkeys and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeysFlyingMonkeys

Dana, first...I'm Back.  Did nothing wrong, other than one ISP didn't like another ISP, and we had our own version of ISP World Wars.

But it appears that Whirled Peas have been served up, so all is well....let's hope.

Next, I went with the Snaps this time, as they are much easier for the home shop hobbyist to install. Still have a 2 to 1 ratio, of quarter turn fasteners to snaps.

As long as it works, I am happy.

Uploaded files:
CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon

Also, have had more than a few people ask me about that much wider front end on my bike. These newer Honda Goldwings...2018+ models, have a Hassock style front end on them, and when adding a sidecar to the bike, companies like Hannigan will give you a choice, trail reduction with a standard width front end, so you can still use the original front wheel and tire...130/70-18.....or the much wider front end, with trail reduction, but now with a custom made 16" front wheel, and a 180/55-16 Michelin Commander lll tire.

Here is a picture to show the difference. The silver colored Hassock fork is the OEM original front end. The Black powder-coated Hassock fork is the much wider front end.  I choose the much wider front end, so they moved my original front wheel and tire over to the sidecar.

Uploaded files:
SwampFox and CCjon have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCCjon

Boss Monkey (wife) and Grease Monkey (I), took the BattleWing Galactica out for a short ride today, as our New Years' Day ride.

'twas 46* out today, and that's not bad for living north of the 46th parallel.

Ride was a short 23 miles, out on the Tenino Proving Grounds, on the first day of 2023.

For those that are not familiar with the Tenino Proving Grounds, many famous and some infamous sidecar owners have driven the Tenino Proving Grounds, owners such as High Octane out of South Dakota, and DRONE out of Western Washington, and szurszewski , also out of Western Washington and Oregon. Only one place on Earth named Tenino, so it's easy to find.

Uploaded files:
MGV8, Dynamick and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
MGV8DynamickThane LewisBen Franklin

A couple of things, sorry if they aren't completely on topic.

• Just wait a centon, "BattleWing Galactica" is the best moto name I have seen in many yahrens, hands down. So Say We All! 
  • Glad to see rigs out on the road.
  • Miss you on ADV, I don't get over here as often as I should.

Happy new year.

-Dynamick

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys
United Sidecar Association Member #9953

Took BattleWing Galactica into my shop this morning, as I wanted to check the sidecar wheel for grease on the bearings, and I am expecting some new lettering decals to label the rig....BattleWing Galactica.

Before I took this "bike" to Hannigan in Kentucky, I make the intentional act of over greasing the OEM front wheel bearings and axle. I knew they were intending to move that OEM front wheel from the bike, over to the sidecar, as the new front wheel on the bike would be a 16" and super wide to accommodate the new 180/55-16 Michelin Commander lll tire.  I even thought about...like 100 times...of bringing a brand new tub of Timken Red...waterproof bearing grease with me, just to hand to their mechanics, and plead for them to smash as much grease into the new front wheel hub and bearings as they could.

Turns out, as they were attempting to machine my OEM front wheel to a large ID to allow larger diameter bearings to fit in that wheel, to go onto the new sidecar axle...they messed up that machining job, so they had to contribute a brand new Honda OEM wheel to my rig, machine it for the new bearings to fit the sidecar axle, blah, blah, blah.  I again, asked, PLEASE make sure you use as much grease as possible in putting that all together, and they even showed me their tun of Timken Red...waterproof bearing grease.

Home.....and about 5,000 miles on the new rig now, and I thought.....get off my lazy butt and check things over AGAIN on this new sidecar, because you all know....we think about this and that all the time, so there is always something to do.

BattleWing Galactica is in my shop, up on the car lift, and I start TRYING to remove the sidecar wheel/tire from the sidecar.

NOPE !!!!!

Turns out, they installed the new sidecar wheel/tire onto the sidecar frame, and then installed the sidecar body on top of the completed chassis. I find that the only way to remove the sidecar wheel/tire from the sidecar, is to unbolt the sidecar body from the frame, put 2x4 blocks in between the sidecar body and the frame, then there is enough room to slide the wheel/tire off the sidecar axle.

Yes...I did deflate the tire all the way.

Yes, I did have the ECC cranked all the way up, so it raised the sidecar frame/body away from the axle.

All the more reason to do 100% maintenance in the shop, and not be in a position to have to do something like this On The Road.

What I found in moving the sidecar wheel/tire front the axle, was that there was NO grease...as in ZERO....applied in the installation of that sidecar wheel to the axle. It was literally Bone Dry. Yes...they used "sealed bearings", but they could also use bearing grease/axle grease to lubricate metal parts, even if the "sealed bearings" manage 99% of the load.

I was NOT a happy camper. I called Hannigan, knowing well in advance that it was doing me no good to call them, because I am 2,500 miles away, and all they have to do is shrug their shoulders.

I installed Timken Red...Waterproof bearing grease.....almost like it was Franks Red Hot Sauce...I put that &^#@ on everything !

All back together now. Everything works as it should, and if for no other reason, my mind is satisfied that the sidecar axle/wheel bearings are well greased.

To me.....I believe MORE grease is better...and is 100% better than NO grease at all. Sure they used "sealed bearings", but most of us have seen or experienced "sealed bearings" having failed before at times. Extra grease on the axle is simply piece of mind, and added security.

Pics of NO grease on the axle.

Uploaded files:
DRONE and MGV8 have reacted to this post.
DRONEMGV8

Hey Grease Monkey dude,  Sorry to hear that little tale of woe.  Are you planning to do anything to make a field tire swap easier, for the hack wheel?  It is always something with trying to get a new hack dialed in.  I think you had it pretty good though...

I also got another unpleasant, Old DMC (on Jay's watch), surprise recently.

They had trashed the seals on the rear hub, during the build process and had the chain way too tight.  I found out about it early on while sorting out the mess with the front end, at about 250 miles (day after picking it up.)  I put a new seal in, and hoped for the best.

Evidently there was some damage/grit that got into the rear sprocket carrier bearing (think left outer wheel bearing of the 3 bearings on the axle.)  It failed catastrophically last weekend, with about 8000 miles on the hack conversion.  Unfortunately, the bearing came apart and destroyed the pricey Haan Hub that was in the center of the Woody's wheel.  Pic below:

Of course, the bearing failure allowed the sprocket carrier studs to cut a deep groove in the swing arm... sheesh.

Icing on the cake?  Well the Haan Hub actually uses a smaller bearing than the factory set, a 52 mm OD, 20mm ID bearing vs the Honda bearing that is 56mm OD x 22mm ID, and rides on a sleeve to be able to be a larger bearing.   The Haan Cush Drive is also significantly smaller and showing signs of rubber wear at only 8000 miles.  I suspect the Haan hub is underspec'd to be a pusher on a hack.  I will likely figure out a way to get a stout wheel built up for it in the near future, using the OEM hub and cush drive.  Comparison pic below, Haan hub on the left, OEM on the right:

The good news?  One of the few things Jay got right was that there was grease in the hack wheel hub, when I checked it while getting a decent Leading Link front end built up at Chuck's shop in Oregon!

Uploaded files:
FlyingMonkeys
Cheers, Dane AKA "Ben Franklin" on Adventure Riders Forums Why not?

Grasshopper.....er...Ben Franklin, remember that I read all of your posts on ADVRider, so I keep up with all the destruction that was done to your 2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports..."rig".

Regarding "On The Road" service to that sidecar wheel/tire, wife (Boss Monkey) asked me the same question this afternoon, and my reply to her was...all 3 of the tires on my sidecar rig are tubeless tires, and in fact all three of them are either tires designed for use on the rear of a motorcycle (tug front tire and sidecar tire) or car tire that is a run-flat (tug rear tire), so if I were to get a flat tire on any of them, I have a tire plug-gun kit with me, and an air compressor, and I have experience using both.

If the tire is damaged beyond the ability to plug it and go, then I would have to install a new tire anyway, so tow the rig back home and deal with it in my shop.

Uploaded files:
Dynamick has reacted to this post.
Dynamick

Oh, and yes...I am going to CHECK on whether or not they greased the new front axle, when they installed the new custom made 16" front wheel, new wheel bearings, etc. Since I already have it up on the car lift, it is all prepped for me to loosen the front axle pinch bolts, loosen the axle, remove the axle, and inspect...without having to actually remove the front wheel/tire off the bike. I have a roll-around cart that is nicely positioned immediately under that front tire, so it can support the weight of the front tire/wheel once the front axle is removed, so it doesn't need to actually be removed from the bike.

With the axle removed, I can inspect the front bearings, and grease the bejeesus out of it (that means put grease into it), then reinstall the front wheel axle, tighten the axle pinch bolts, and....waalaa....job done.

For those of you that only get 3k to 10k out of your tires, you have to remove those tires much more often that I do, but with my rig getting 30k+ out of each tire, and probably a lot more out of the sidecar tire, I have to make sure everything is well greased to last that duration.

Follow-up, after the work was done:  Good thing I checked this, and performed this work, as I found the front axle bolt to be less than finger tight.  Yes, the front axle does have the pinch bolts, and I do remember checking those when I got home from Kentucky last September, and I threw a wrench on them and made sure they were properly tightened down. But I did not check the actual axle bolt that screws in to the end of the very long axle. On checking it today, and just placing a socket on it (without the handle)...just the socket to confirm what size of bolt head I thought it might be, the axle bolt turned in my hand.

Yes....that is also now remedied.

Uploaded files:
MGV8 has reacted to this post.
MGV8

Beautiful rig!

Would you know/measure the width please? We are looking to tow the rig in an enclosed trailer behind our small RV when we retire next year. This will be our get around and explore vehicle. 

Thanks so much!

Randy in Florida 

FlyingMonkeys

Randy, the full width is TOO wide for 99.99% of enclosed trailers made and sold in the USA, or Canada.

It is 79" wide at the lowest parts of the bike and sidecar, meaning from the far right of the sidecar fender, to the far left of the motorcycle, but down low, as in lower than the left side footpeg.

But if it is going to be INSIDE an enclosed trailer (sadly...NOT going to happen) then you must include the upper parts of the bike on the left side, such as the fairing, engine cylinder head, and mirror (even after you have folded the mirror in.

I look very seriously at the Ironhorse trailers, made in Tennessee. as they are the widest enclosed trailers made. https://ironhorsetrailers.com/

Even went to their manufacturing facility in Tennessee whilst Hannigan was attaching the new Dream sidecar to my bike, and I talked to them in person.

Technically, they CAN custom build a super wide trailer just for you, but at a cost exceeding $ 13,000.00, which was not worth it to me.

In the end, I decided on, and have placed an order for a Bear Track BTU82120S trailer, and it will be here next month. And the dealer I ordered this from in Oregon, has also ordered two more of the exact same trailers, and it IS wide enough to easily carry my wide sidecar rig. It is an open trailer, ALL aluminum, built quite well, and the President of the USCA already owns one of these same trailers, and hauls his 2018 Goldwing w/Hannigan sidecar on it.

My new Bear Track BTU82120S cost me around $ 3,800.00, but that included a spare tire and wheel, and 4 extra D rings.

https://beartracktrailers.com/product/82-wide-utility-trailer/

I see you are in Florida....too bad....but there might be a Beat Track trailer dealer somewhere in the southeast that can order you one of these.

smitty901 has reacted to this post.
smitty901

Randy, I actually traveled from Texas to Florida to pick up my BearTrack trailer. I bought it from Florida Trailer Solutions in Zephryhills, Fl. 813-779-8400, near Tampa.

Todd and Cindy Kingsley (owners) were super nice to deal with, made sure I had everything I might need before returning to Texas.  When I later had an issue with the spare tire mount, Cindy took control and had a new part shipped from the manufacturer to my home in Texas. Zero cost to me. I highly recommend dong business with Cindy and Todd, they are honest, hard working people who will do you right.

Ben Franklin and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Ben FranklinFlyingMonkeys

Post some pictures of the trailer.  With the rig on it. It helps other see why the work so well

There is an outfit in Phoenix who builds an 82X12 trailer with a ramp. It is on my list to go see when the temperatures get below 100.

https://primotrailer.com/atv-trailers/atv82x12/

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO
PreviousPage 2 of 2