Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

ZRX1100 tankslapper

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

My new 1999 ZRX1100 with Hannigan Bandito has a vicious steering wobble that is just a little less terrifying than riding my 2011 T 100 solo on "cobblestone" ice. The shaking has happened at speeds ranging from 15-40 mph,which is as fast as I've gone. I've responded by slowing . Turning right without leaning is scary enough without worrying about losing steering at the same time. I have logged about 225,000 miles on eleven motorcycles and a scooter, and I read the David Hough book, but I am truly afraid of this. I think the previous owner accepted a higher level of instability than I can tolerate.
I've been out twice, on residential streets, and put about twenty miles on the tripmeter. How much improvement can I expect without replacing the forks and wheels? I'm open to suggestion.

Posted : December 26, 2013 2:11 pm
(@peter-pan)

GRIP THE HANDLE HARD and get out of that speed range fast. above You will be happy, but never ever leave off your hands off, that might even whack you a hole into the tank or damage your hand. :O :O :O
Friction steering damper or hydraulic dampers like former beadles had make a difference. If You get a easier steering by modification the tendency to slap becomes less but will not disappear never completely as it its part of rig's physics. You have to learn to live with it.
Anyhow it would be good to get you an instructor for a faster learning curve and not get the fun spoiled by some beginner mistake.
Hey, you know that rig pushing is highly addictive and causes more smiles per mile then anything else?
Sven
🙂 🙂 🙂

Posted : December 26, 2013 3:27 pm
(@swampfox)

thomas, the wobble is due in part to proper steering geometry (trail) being different for 3 wheelers than 2 wheelers. My Sportster had a wobble that was significantly lessened by 3 things: 1) Aligning the rig as optimally, 2) Adding a little extra torque to the steering head bearing, and 3) increasing the front tire pressure over 2 wheel recommendation.

After adjusting, the Sportster wobbled minimally, but it never went fully away. I considered a hydraulic steering damper, but finally installed appropriate modification (triple trees in my case) to reduce the trail for sidecar duty -- now easy steering with essentially no wobble and no need for a damper. TxArt has similar results with his large touring rig.

Welcome the the offset sidecar world -- yes, it can be quite addictive.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : December 26, 2013 6:56 pm
(@Sidcar)

I had the same problem with my GL1500/Oxford outfit. I fitted an EZ-Steer triple tree kit and the steering was transformed. The steering is so much easier and though the bar shake is still there at very low speeds i can damp it out with my arms very easily. The outfit is now a real pleasure to ride. The kit is not cheap but money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Sid

Posted : December 27, 2013 3:08 am
(@dawg-gone)

Check Adjust Replace if needed head and wheel bearings install racked trees and align rig
dale

Posted : January 2, 2014 8:15 am
(@Mark-in-Idaho)

There is one thing I don't hear mentioned. A cheap front tire or poorly balanced front tire can amplify the wobble problem.

Posted : January 3, 2014 3:15 pm
(@peter-pan)

Mark is back.
good to hear.
Happy new year

My MZ had horrible wheels,but with enough tightening of the friction damper I always got rid of wobble.
That is the reason why I not even thought about this possibility.

Thanks for reminding.
Sven

Posted : January 4, 2014 4:28 pm