Notifications
Clear all

Struggling to find a subframe for a KLR/DR 650

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@alexander-lau)
Topic starter

Only ones ive seen for sale were ones that were already sold and the threads were like from 2015 or so. i saw that universal mount thing via clamps but was told it was unsafe

Posted : February 3, 2023 3:17 pm
(@miles-ladue)

Alexander,  we want to help you....we really do....but to be in the very best position so that we CAN help you, it always helps if you tell us MUCH more information, such as...where do you live?

Why ?  Because dependent upon where you live, someone may suggest going to TSC (Texas Sidecar Company) and have them make you a subframe for the bike you eventually decide on.

The subframe for a KLR650 is going to be different than the subframe for a DR650......duh !

Some of us, if we knew where you lived, might take the time and opportunity to look online in areas close to you, to see what is available.

And finally, 99.314159 % of the people on sidecar forums will tell you it is a LOT less money to buy an already put together rig, than it is to start from scratch and build one yourself. If a person spent $ 15k to built their ultimate KLR650 dual-sport sidecar rig, then they would probably sell that rig 5 to 10 years later for $ 5k to $8K.

The DR650 as a used rig that is completed and road proven would probably sell for $ 7k to $ 9k.

If this is going to be your FIRST sidecar rig....THINK....and utilize the brain resources of the experienced people here to assist you, rather than you trying to invent a new mousetrap.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : February 3, 2023 7:07 pm
(@swampfox)

I haven't stumbled upon a used KLR/DR 650 subframe for sale in quite a while.  I suggest contacting Texas Sidecars as they now have info/patterns for such.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : February 4, 2023 4:09 am
(@alexander-lau)
Topic starter

Quote from FlyingMonkeys on February 4, 2023, 12:07 am

Alexander,  we want to help you....we really do....but to be in the very best position so that we CAN help you, it always helps if you tell us MUCH more information, such as...where do you live?

Why ?  Because dependent upon where you live, someone may suggest going to TSC (Texas Sidecar Company) and have them make you a subframe for the bike you eventually decide on.

The subframe for a KLR650 is going to be different than the subframe for a DR650......duh !

Some of us, if we knew where you lived, might take the time and opportunity to look online in areas close to you, to see what is available.

And finally, 99.314159 % of the people on sidecar forums will tell you it is a LOT less money to buy an already put together rig, than it is to start from scratch and build one yourself. If a person spent $ 15k to built their ultimate KLR650 dual-sport sidecar rig, then they would probably sell that rig 5 to 10 years later for $ 5k to $8K.

The DR650 as a used rig that is completed and road proven would probably sell for $ 7k to $ 9k.

If this is going to be your FIRST sidecar rig....THINK....and utilize the brain resources of the experienced people here to assist you, rather than you trying to invent a new mousetrap.

i live in illinois, more specifically batavia. Yes im aware the subframes are going to be different but i currently do not have a dr/klr but i plan to this summer.

Posted : February 4, 2023 5:34 am
(@miles-ladue)

Alexander, given that you live in Batavia, is the new sidecar rig going to be labeled the Batavia Motor Werks ?

(that is a joke)

Seriously, look around for an already completed rig, as it will save you a lot of money, and will already be a road/trail tested rig.

After buying this already completed sidecar rig, give it a year or 3 and then see if this rig works the way you want it to, before either BUILDING your own rig, or....(gulp)....deciding that sidecar rigs are not for you.

And, Alexander, the President, or El Presidente' of the United Sidecar Association, on these forums as CCjon, he built his own 2016 KLR650 with Cargo sidecar rig. He is KNOWLEDGEABLE on this subject.

Here are some pics of KLR650 rigs, and...a link to someone else's website where they built a KLR650 sidecar rig:

https://operationmotodog.com/the-rufio-build/

First pic is of a SUBFRAME vbuilt by Freedom Sidecars, in Pennsylvania, made for a KLR650:

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : February 4, 2023 6:02 am
(@cozy-sidecars)

You are getting some very good advice here. Sidecar guys are like that! I have been in the sidecar business for 25 years and have. sold thousands of sidecars, mounting kits, parts etc. My sidecars - the Cozy are not the right unit for your bike so I have nothing to gain. IMHO with the exception of one company which goes under several names the rest of the current US sidecar providers are reputable businesses. A reputable company will advise you openly about whether or not their product will meet your needs. There is no such thing as a sidecar that is right for every motorcycle. Anyone that tells you that theirs will work on anything is suspect. 

I concur that building your own sidecar frame as your first sidecar is probably not a great idea. I also agree strongly that you should get it mounted professionally, especially with your particular bike. If you must - Florida Sidecars sells plans for a frame. DMC also sold a kit, but since their sale I don't know what the new owner Texas Sidecars will do. 

You did get bad advice about kits such as the Universal Mounting kits that are available in the US are unsafe. That simply isn't true. They are not right for some applications but on the face of it are not unsafe. They need to be used properly and like all sidecar mounts need to be checked periodically - don't be afraid to use a good clamp for the right application

Kevin Mahoney

Cozy Sidecars www.cyclesidecar.com

Posted : February 4, 2023 7:26 am
(@alexander-lau)
Topic starter

Something worth mentioning is that i do no plan to offroad with the sidecar. i am using it only for icy roads

Posted : February 5, 2023 7:39 am
(@floyd-h)

Alexander - I'm currently riding a 2014 KLR with a home built cargo car.  I'm using a subframe from Claude Stanley at Freedom Sidecars in Pennsylvania.  I'm really happy with it and Claude is very helpful and easy to deal with.  If you want more information on my setup feel free to call me at 636-795-9232.

Floyd Hoffman

Posted : February 10, 2023 2:28 pm