Notifications
Clear all

GL1800 rear tire change

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@foodog2)
Topic starter

ok folks, what's the secret to getting the rear tire off the goldwing without removing the sidecar? I don't think my Jack goes that high. It's a 2013 and the book says it should come out if I remove the tupperware between the bags, but the trailer hitch is in the way and I believe tied into the Hannigan sub frame.

Posted : September 19, 2015 3:00 pm
(@oldschool_iscool)

Sounds like a challenge, Foo! Most of the 1800 tire change posts I've read talk about laying the bike onto it's right side. That's obviously not going to work for you. You could ask for ideas over at www.goldwingfacts.com, someone may have a trick or two.

Posted : September 21, 2015 3:54 am
(@jaydmc)

No idea how Hannigan does their mounts that might interfere, with our mounts all you need do is jack up the back of the bike. Have you tried an automotive floor jack? Good quality ones go higher.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

Posted : September 21, 2015 5:30 am
(@circuit-rider)

I've got a trailer hitch on my 2010 1800. The Hannigan sub frame on my outfit doesn't touch the hitch. After removing the fender between the bags I remove the radio amplifier that is mounted behind the tire and the center piece of the trailer hitch. If you are running a standard motorcycle tire, not a car tire, the wheel and tire come right out the back.

Posted : September 21, 2015 3:43 pm
(@foodog2)
Topic starter

It has a car tire on there and was put on before the sidecar went on. Mine is an F6B wing so I think the install was a little different than a standard gen 2 gl1800. I am going to drop it off at the shop and see if they can figure it out before I drop the car. I don't worry about getting it off, it's the getting it back on that scares me ??.

Posted : September 21, 2015 5:01 pm
(@SideCar)

Standard automotive floor jack or motorcycle "lift" jack will usually get you high enough, without having to take off anything else. I use a long extension on an impact to remove the lugs to avoid other clearance issues. As you've said, the trailer hitch gets in the way of help from removing the rear, lower fender, but height of the jack overcomes that, at least on an 08 wing.

Posted : September 22, 2015 6:24 am
(@foodog2)
Topic starter

My local dealer changed it for me for $100 bucks. I think they removed the hitch and took it out the back. That's money well spent in my book!

Posted : October 5, 2015 3:05 pm
(@wingincamera)

I have done a few with my rig which has a car tire. I use a floor jack under the rear of the bike, under the folded up center stand. I jack it a little bit for more room, then loosen the lug nuts, and then continue to raise the bike up. It will tilt toward the sidecar but it isn't going to fall over. When removing the wheel/tire deflate the tire first for a little more room. It is a very tight fit but I've always been able to slide it out and put the new one in the same way.
The tire I like is the 195/55R-16 Firestone Precision Touring at 28 psi.

Posted : October 7, 2015 8:00 pm