Notifications
Clear all

2018 GL1800

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jaydmc)
Topic starter

Many people have asked us just how are you going to do the steering modifications on the new GL1800, we have worked out in theory at least what we are going to do. Pretty much the same thing we just developed for the BMW K1600 which uses a very similar front end. Photo's in about 2 weeks as the prototype still needs powder coated.
So, for the first person who purchases a sidecar from us for the GL1800 for us to install we will design and install for free the front end modifications.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Posted : March 6, 2018 12:36 pm
(@phlaug)

Great teaser!!! I eagerly await the pics!

Posted : March 7, 2018 11:05 am
(@ocpd44)

From what I've seen of the steering system, I'm wondering if there will be a need for modification. I think I would try it without first, just to see what we're looking at. But, then, I'm a little bit nuts.....

Posted : March 13, 2018 2:15 pm
(@jaydmc)
Topic starter

It does not matter what "system" is used, physics dictates a need for a lot more trail on a two wheel motorcycle then you would want on a three wheel motorcycle. In the case of the new GL it has 4.3 inches of trail, this will steer heavy. Trail for a sidecar bike is some what a matter of taste and where it is going to be used. As GL spend a lot of time out on the open road covering lots of miles I would not want to set the trail for sidecar use at much less then 2 inches, nor would I think that anything more then about 2.5 inches would be worth making the changes. Clearance issues with the bike its self will dictate what is possible. We hope to be able to set trail at 2 inches which is what we have done with our steering modifications for the BMW K1600 which has a very similar front end and also starts with 4.3 inches of trail.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com866-638-1793

Posted : March 14, 2018 5:07 am
(@ocpd44)

Nice explanation. Thanks, Jay. I guess what I was looking at is actual steering effort which may be reduced by the new system. But, I guess under normal circumstances, that would not be an issue anyway.

Posted : March 14, 2018 8:58 am
(@jaydmc)
Topic starter

Steering effort is a matter of amount of trail, tire size and weight of the sidecar you are dragging sideways when you move the bars. How the wheel is connected to the rest of the bike be it forks or any thing else does not change this.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Posted : March 14, 2018 9:18 am
(@ocpd44)

Makes sense now. On my GL 1800/GTL setup, I have Hannigan's "EZ Steer. It's still a bear to steer around the corners. I'd hate to think what it's like without.

Posted : March 14, 2018 9:50 am
(@jaydmc)
Topic starter

No idea how much Hannigan reduces trail, Some other companies might reduce it a tad bit more. It is hard to get any company to tell you what the trail is, they all tend to want to tell you incorrectly that they are "raking" the front end and by how many degree's. However with out numbers it is hard to say just what you have. The more angle you add to the forks in relationship to the steering stem the less trail you will end up with. Less trail makes for easier steering. However to little trail makes for a rig that wants to follow every grove in the pavement and wonder making for a more fatiguing ride.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Posted : March 14, 2018 9:57 am
(@Sidcar)

I saw a video, I think it was on the goldwingdocs website, showing the very small amount of travel on the front damper unit before it hits the stop. Will this be a problem given the extra weight of a sidecar?

Sid

Posted : March 16, 2018 9:51 am
(@jaydmc)
Topic starter

No, the damper would move a lot less then the actual suspension as it is on a rocker of sorts rather then being direct like it would be with a standard fork set up.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Posted : March 16, 2018 10:11 am
(@sinolav)

Jay, good to see you are considering the new Goldwing. Thank you for the time when we spoke on the phone, and I am currently reading the book I ordered from you. Now, how about the Yamaha Star Venture? Do you think you might make a mount for that in the future?

Posted : March 18, 2018 5:52 am
(@jaydmc)
Topic starter

We have mounts for many years of Venture's.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Posted : March 19, 2018 11:17 am