Clear all

USCA Membership renewal

20 Posts
11 Users
1 Likes
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Seems we are all busier than ever these days, renewing our USCA membership every year too easily falls by the wayside in our hectic lives. It has been suggested that we set up USCA membership on an auto-renewal basis like many other organizations.

What do you the members think of the idea?

If you are on the road when it is time to renew, you might miss out on The Sidecarist. If life is busy for you, you might miss the renewal notice, or if you have moved, renerwal notices are not reaching you. Then you need auto-renewal.

If you are diligent in reading all of your emails then  you know when your renewal notice arrives. If you faithfully pay all your bills on time, then you'll never miss a membership renewal.  Auto-renew might be be helpful but not a bonus.

Please complete the poll, let your USCA Board know thoughts.

Jan Daub

USCA President

Posted : October 13, 2023 10:20 am
(@miles-ladue)

I just want CCjon to know that he is disturbing my dinner of Scottish haggis, for me to be able to reply to his post.....

May I suggest....the availability of purchasing a Lifetime Membership.

You wankers figure out the appropriate cost, and it might surprise you as to how many might take advantage of that, and sign up.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : October 15, 2023 6:08 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

FM, I appreciate your concern for my health... you having haggis while my SO and I dine on authentic seafood paella. Sorry...

Your suggestion of having USCA Lifetime Membership started a study that discovered the USCA Constitution states Lifetime Members cannot vote or hold office. First that will need to be changed, then you can send me your blank check while we figure out the appropriate amount to fill in... a simple question of how many zeros.

Stay warm up there,

Jan

Posted : October 15, 2023 8:12 am
(@swampfox)

I voted Yes, but I suggest another option may be a mutli-year membership, say, 3 years.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : October 16, 2023 2:02 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Interesting ...

Posted : October 20, 2023 9:12 pm
(@smitty901)

I am not against the auto renewal.  I normally avoid it. But in this case I would stick around with auto renewal.

The cost of mail out notice. waiting getting paid add up.  make it simple it saves money and time.

Posted : October 22, 2023 12:46 pm
(@dholaday2)

How about a choice? Let those who want auto-renewal sign up for it; let those who want annual renewal do that.

Re lifetime membership: I'm all for it as long as we use an actuarial table to predict expected remaining lifetime 

Duncan

Posted : October 23, 2023 10:32 am
(@don)

We should consult with our membership registrar to find how much modification of the membership program will be necessary to accommodate multi-year or automatic renewals.  I don't know what is currently used to track membership.

Today I received an email reminding me my membership in another organization with a similar sized membership will soon be expiring.  That organization has already implemented a dues rate increase beginning next year.  I was offered the opportunity to pay for up to three years of membership prior to the increase taking effect.  Like smitty901 I do not usually opt for automatic renewal, but in this case I'll make an exception and take a chance on surviving the multi-year membesrship.

Posted : October 23, 2023 11:15 am
(@scott-h)

Howdy folks.  Just in case you are interested in hearing from a potential new member: 

Normally I will join a group for one year to make sure it is a good fit.  At that point to simplify life I'll either do the multi-year deal, or the lifetime membership.  More often than not this is to keep me from forgetting to re-up.

In the category of poor attempt at humor:   If you choose to offer a life time membership plan, please be careful of the naming convention.  NRA uses macho names like Patriot, Endowment, etc..  Then there are groups like the American Legion (absolutely great organization btw).  Finance Officer talked about the lifetime member plan, which I accepted.  Imagine the surprise when the membership card came back with big letters across the top PUFL (stands for Paid Up For Life).  In an instant I went from a mighty infantryman to a... puffel.  What's that?  Maybe a crepe with too much baking powder?  Awe Man, I felt like a pup who just came back from the vets office missing some important parts.   Hope you got a chuckle. 

Looking forward to finding out what USCA is all about. 

Scott

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : November 16, 2023 4:42 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Good news!  Crepes don't have baking powder and are fluffy because of the eggs!

But I do, definitely hear you about puffle.  Sounds like something from a 70s Croft's kids program.  I recall in the early 80s when the military was phasing out the Jeep in favor of the HumVee.  They didn't want troops calling it a Hummer because it sounded too much like bummer...

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : November 16, 2023 6:15 am
(@reardan-tom)

Pufel...  A club I used to belong to but no longer, though they are still good friends of mine, the Northwest Classics Motorcycle Club, NWCMC for short, calls new members MUC's (pronounced "mucks") which is Member Under Consideration.  I've never known a MUC to be voted down. I was editor of their newsletter, the Exhaust, for several years. Fun job, fun group, good folks.

Posted : November 17, 2023 4:13 am
(@miles-ladue)

Okay, whilst we are admitting our bad club names from the past........I was a member of the PhuDs....pronounced "fuds", as it was a just-for-fun baseball team wherein all members had to have a Ph.D.

The way we played, we should have been called the "duds" 

On the USCA membership renewal issue, I am all in favor of an option to select a 3 year term.....if the wankers are not going to allow me to buy a Lifetime Membership.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : November 17, 2023 5:45 am
(@bschraeder2)

Hi All,

I have done the membership duties for the last 2 or 3 years (I forget) but on the issue of multi-year membership, that's an easy one... We already have members that pay for several years in advance.  Say for example our current renewal fee is $30.  They will send a check for $90 and I just put the renewal date out 3 years.  Multi-year done. No extra effort.  That is the beauty of checks. No additional software to update. No processing fees to pay. USCA gets to keep the full amount of the membership fee without paying a 3rd party to filter our funds in and out (PayPal or Credit Card fees).  Win for members, win for USCA.

By the way, we do have new membership coordinators.  Thank you, David and Christie Johanson, for taking over that responsibility!

Belinda Schraeder Murray

Posted : November 17, 2023 6:25 am
(@bschraeder2)

For whatever reason, it won't let me vote 🙁

Posted : November 17, 2023 6:32 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Hmm, wonder if there is a time out on these surveys. I have not closed it. Will check on it.

Jan

Posted : November 17, 2023 7:41 am
Page 1 / 2