Notifications
Clear all

Service dog car

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeston)
Topic starter

Hi, I'm Jeston. I'm a 35 year old, 100% permanently and totally disabled, medically retired Army Special Operations combat vet, military advisor, combatives and airborne instructor. I was retired after a bad parachute landing and 2 surgeries (one more on the way).

My only running vehicle is my 06 road king, my 3rd wife took almost everything I had, and I'm just trying to find a decent sidecar for my service dog. I don't make much of money, but if you work with me I'll get you your money, if not I broke my right hip, dislocated my right shoulder, got vertigo from the tbi, and I'm about to get surgery on my left knee (so you can probably take me).

Posted : April 15, 2024 2:50 pm
(@reardan-tom)

Sorry to read of your predicament Jeston. I click "like" but that isn't the proper emogee.

Posted : April 15, 2024 2:57 pm
(@miles-ladue)

Jeston, there are a wide variety of  complete  sidecar  rigs for sale,  so....to better  assist you,  it would be  helpful if you  could  tell us  where you  live, how much you  would be  comfortable  spending,  what kind/size of Service  Dog you have,  and.....do you have a  preference  of brand/model  of bikes?

Given you're 100 % permanently and  totally  disabled , are you  physically  able to  operate a  sidecar rig,  or would you  need  modifications to the  bike,  so that you  could  operate it?

Please  be  aware that  operation of a sidecar rig  takes much more  upper  body  physical  strength  than  riding  a 2 wheeled motorcycle. 

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : April 15, 2024 3:16 pm
(@jeston)
Topic starter

• Near Branson, MO
  • I would be comfortable with $3k over 2-3 months
  • Cash, my service dog, is a border collie 
  • I prefer my bike, big Harleys with  comfortable seats.
  • Physically, I lived and slept (homeless) on my bike throughout last year, from southern Florida up to Missouri last fall. I dislocated my right shoulder, broke my right hip, traumatic brain injury with vertigo, nerve pain throughout my back and down my legs and I'm about to get surgery on my left knee. I hurt every day of my life, sometimes too much to leave the house, and sometimes I get dizzy/motion sick... but I'm still stronger than most grown men, even with my atrophied muscles. 

Posted : April 15, 2024 4:35 pm
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Welcome Jeston.

One of the biggest problems you will find with your idea of adding a sidecar to your rig is cost.  Buying a used sidecar that is in fit shape and appropriate for your Road King will start the bidding around $2500.  Now adding in subframe modifications to the bike will be another $1000.  Mounting the car to the bike will require travel to a builder and several days (often) while the work is done.  All told, the project you are proposing looks like a minimum cost of around $5k to be done correctly.  Done that won't throw you into a ditch on the first right hand curve. 

So....Flyin Monkey's suggestion of finding a working, setup rig bypasses many of the startup challenges and as an added bonus, brings you in for similar money. 

Meanwhile, I applaud your resolve to never give up and to keep building good relationships with like minded friends.

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : April 16, 2024 3:53 am
(@scott-h)

Hey Jeston,

Reach out to this gentleman to see if he still has this: https://sidecar.com/forum/topic/looking-for-some-help/

If he has already parted his rig, next steps:

Start with an ad in this subforum: https://sidecar.com/forum/forum/sidecars-wanted/   include the year and model of your bike.  Then reach out to Texas Sidecars.  They do a lot of big bike stuff, and may know someone.  https://www.texassidecars.com/

You may need to be patient, and keep making contacts & reaching out.  Don't forget your Veteran Groups.  If I remember right, Branson has a pretty good American Legion post https://bransonhollisterlegion220.com/    There is also a VFW post somewhere south of Branson.  But I don't know that post personally.   Reason for reaching out there is you may find an older rider who is looking to retire from riding, and wanting a good home for their rig.  

Wishing you good fortune in your search, and recovery.

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : April 16, 2024 4:22 am
(@reardan-tom)

All the advice others have offered is very good and another thought just entered my feeble mind... you obviously have internet access, what about starting a "go fund me" page to assist with your purchase of the right sidecar and quite possibly some living expenses? Here's hoping your life is about to change for the good beyond what you imagine possible right now!!

Posted : April 16, 2024 4:46 am