Notifications
Clear all

Looking for Some Help

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@fyremedic97)
Topic starter

I recently inherited my Dad's '87 Electra Glide that currently has a sidecar attached. I have no desire to ride with a sidecar at this point in my life. I am trying to locate someone with the knowledge and skills to remove the sidecar and make whatever adjustments are required to bring the bike back to "normal" riding status. Located in Belvidere, IL.

Thank You

Posted : December 30, 2023 8:06 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Ed, here is a link to our list of sidecar manufacturer's, dealers and installers.

https://sidecar.com/map-of-sidecar-manufacturers-dealers-and-installers/

Good luck with your search.

Jan Daub

Posted : December 30, 2023 8:20 am
(@fyremedic97)
Topic starter

Thanks. It is possible that   KURT LIEBHABER did the original installation, but I haven't been able to find any documentation to confirm it. Based on the age of posts mentioning him does anyone know if he's still doing builds? I also see that Randy's Cycle is listed, I am quite familiar with Randy Weaver and his business. Thank you again.

Posted : December 30, 2023 8:24 am
(@miles-ladue)

Ed, have you tried to drive your Dad's olde '87 Electra Glide w/sidecar ?

You may find that it is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

They are pretty handy for shopping, camping, long distance rides, etc.

Handy to use for the local retirement home, to give folks older than you a ride for their Birthday, or at Christmas time.

Just think about it, before dismantling what you Dad had put together.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : December 30, 2023 9:11 am
(@reardan-tom)

Ed, I agree with what Flying Monkeys said plus I'll add if you have a pup, there is no better way to take your pup along. They enjoy the ride in a sidecar tremendously. Look for Sit, Stay, Ride, the story of America's sidecar dogs. SSR 1 is out and if you can find it, so is SSR 2. Great videos. I didn't think I'd enjoy the sidecar ride years ago when my wife wanted to quit riding with me on 2 wheels. I didn't expect to like sidecars but thought she might. Her mind was made up but I discovered a whole new thrill and my boxer, Archie, loved it. Once you get into sidecars, there's no going back and no regrets!!

Posted : December 30, 2023 9:50 am
(@fyremedic97)
Topic starter

Yes, I have tried riding with the  sidecar on it and it's not for me. I can't get comfortable with the way you have to ride with a sidecar. The only reason my Dad put the sidecar on it was to be able to continue riding as he got older. He really didn't like riding with the sidecar but it was his only option aside from buying a trike, which wasn't financially feasible for him.

Posted : December 30, 2023 10:36 am
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

Ed -

I recently read that Kurt retired some time ago.  That's from internet jabber so grain of salt that one.

Kurt has a pretty good reputation.  You might be better off financially selling it as a whole unit than trying to pull it apart.  Especially if he did a front end/steering modification to that Harley.

Unless of course you have an attachment to the bike which being your dad's would be understandable.

Posted : December 31, 2023 4:39 am
(@fyremedic97)
Topic starter

Drew,

I kind of figured that Kurt had likely retired when I didn't see any current information out there with someone with his reputation. As for attachment to the bike, there is attachment there from being around it from the day it was purchased new by my dad's best friend and then my dad owning it. There is also the fact that the bike is a Blue Knights Special, which was only available to members of the organization when new and over the 3 years that it was available I believe less than 400 were produced. That fact makes it a fairly rare bike and the bike is likely worth more if taken back to its original state.

Posted : December 31, 2023 12:29 pm
(@smitty901)

Removing the sidecar is no big deal. HD did not do a lot of changes they basically just hung the car on.

Some years had an adjustable rake. Detail pictures of the mount and the fork tree most likely will provide enough information to explain it.

If it were my dad's I would keep it as is. Picking up another like it to ride is not that expensive.

As for being rare does not add anything to value really. Take more than rare to make the value go up. Now had it been just a few years older it would have an add perineum.

Posted : January 1, 2024 4:36 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Quote from smitty901 on January 1, 2024, 9:36 am

Removing the sidecar is no big deal. HD did not do a lot of changes they basically just hung the car on.

Some years had an adjustable rake. Detail pictures of the mount and the fork tree most likely will provide enough information to explain it.

If it were my dad's I would keep it as is. Picking up another like it to ride is not that expensive.

As for being rare does not add anything to value really. Take more than rare to make the value go up. Now had it been just a few years older it would have an add perineum.

I think you may have meant premium as perineum is something else entirely as an portion of human anatomy...

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : January 3, 2024 3:05 am
(@poncho-144)

I don't where else to post this but I would like to know IF it is advisable use a Motorcycle rear Wheel  (rim,hub,axel,Tire) for the 3rd wheel on me hack?

Posted : January 4, 2024 11:17 am
(@reardan-tom)

Quote from Michael Gross on January 4, 2024, 4:17 pm

I don't where else to post this but I would like to know IF it is advisable use a Motorcycle rear Wheel  (rim,hub,axel,Tire) for the 3rd wheel on me hack?

I see no problem at all with it but use slightly less air pressure than you would on the rear of the bike.  The reason I say this is that's what I was advised for my FLH/Liberty. Others will probably chime in as well. Drone? What do you think?

Posted : January 4, 2024 1:26 pm
(@dave)

I would take lots of pictures of the sidecar attachments before removing them. It will help if you decide to sell the sidecar and mounts to show interested parties how it was mounted.  Label all pieces and hardware. We all like buying projects knowing that all the parts are there.

Posted : January 4, 2024 3:25 pm
(@ned)

Quote from Michael Gross on January 4, 2024, 4:17 pm

Welcome new user Michael Gross (joined Jan 4th - today!)

Usually, when you have a new question about a different sidecar rig than the one being discussed, you would start a new thread.  Since your question is kinda technical, I'd start it in the Technical Discussion section.  Give it a title like "Which Wheel for My Car?" , then ask your question.  Right there in Post #1 you would of course tell us what bike you have, what sidecar you have, maybe how you use it if it's not a 100% street rig, and maybe even a picture of the rig. That's just the basic info so we'd have some idea of what the issues are.  In fact, I'm gonna suggest that you go ahead and do that.

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : January 4, 2024 4:26 pm
(@smitty901)

Used can.  One my Velorex and a friends we  remover axle swapped in a slight larger one and use the same wheel the rear of the bike has.

Now bike and sidecar run the same wheel and car tire. works great.

Posted : January 5, 2024 6:39 am