Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Northwest Sidecar Pilots

I read a post recently about riders in the PNW.  Informally there used to be the "Northwest Sidecar Pilots" but it has not been active.  I think it's time to get something going again and I am thinking of just a meet and greet event where we can get together for coffee, breakfast, lunch or etc.  

I'd be happy to organize the first one but would like to hear from other interested riders in the area so as to figure out a convenient place.  

Maybe we could do this quarterly?

Mark Nelson #6473 (barbormark1@hughes.net

FlyinMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeys

My wife and I ran the NW sidecar pilot's for about 9 years. The "club" had one event a year a campout at the KOA in Yakima over Memorial Day weekend.  A few things happened. We turned it over to another couple who now live out of state but mainly the KOA was shut down through imminent domain in order to change the course of the river back where it was historically.  As far as I know this never happened. So, the event was moved just out of town to a campground ran by an Indian tribe where alcohol was not allowed and about the same time someone else decided that they needed to host an event one week later at lake Chelan which competed with the NW sidecar piolets event. As such the "club" more or less died out after more than 30 years. For the 25th year event we had over 200 sidecars in attendance.

It is our plan once Covid is done (2023?) to host an event at our location, it will be an open house with free "dry" camping and free food and perhaps live music from a band my wife sings with doing guitar driven dance music. Would love to see an active club in the area again.  It would also be nice to see someone locally host the national rally, my wife and I hosted it many years back.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

FlyinMonkeys and Thane Lewis have reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeysThane Lewis
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay, with all the sidecar owners in the NW it has been quiet region, and the covid blues did not help.  The last national USCA rally up there was in 2019. Since we rotate the USCA Rally among the seven regions, it won't be back to the NW until 2026. However we encourage and will help promote any sidecar gathering in any region of North America.

Let us know when your open house will be and we'll help promote it.

Jan "CCjon" Daub

USCA President

Thane Lewis and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Thane LewisFlyinMonkeys

Jay, I'd be happy to help organize something.  I'm surprised we haven't heard more from other local sidecarists.

Mark Nelson # 6473

CCjon, Szkudlarek and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonSzkudlarekFlyinMonkeys

I live in Salem, OR. It would be nice to meet for coffee or a meal with others.

gary-shearer@comcast.net

Reardan Tom and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Reardan TomFlyinMonkeys

In an effort to keep this subject alive, and further the idea of having a PNW meet & greet....

There is actually a large contingent of sidecar owners in the Great Pacific Northwest, and we did have a gathering in Port Townsend back in 2019 also, aside from the USCA National Rally in northern Idaho in 2019. The gathering at a private residence in Port Townsend was attended primarily by members of the ADVRider forums, and while small in attendance, it was a great gathering.

I would strongly encourage that any such gatherings be at a location that is both neutral, and welcoming to all sidecar owners...and not at a location that is hosted by a sidecar manufacturer, wherein it can easily be construed that the event is a promotion for that sidecar manufacturer, especially and specifically when same said sidecar manufacturer has such a questionable reputation, as it is.

Any gathering should be about camaraderie, furthering the community of sidecar owners.

MGV8 and CCjon have reacted to this post.
MGV8CCjon
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents

I would be fun to have a meet and greet. As I move into having more free time I might even be able to attend from the great white north. 

CCjon and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeys

Brian, at the time of year that you could attend a gathering in the Great Pacific Northwest.... you would be coming from the Great GREEN North.....not the Great White North.

Quote from jaydmc on January 24, 2022, 10:20 am

about the same time someone else decided that they needed to host an event one week later at lake Chelan which competed with the NW sidecar piolets event.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay, the Chelan rally was not planned to "compete" with your rally, our thought at the time was it should enhance both rallies. Anyone travelling from a long distance could easily attend both. It's all water under the bridge now. But, the city of Chelan and the park had restricted the times available to either just prior to Memorial week end or just after Labor Day week end. We chose the former based on that. I doubt you've had any contact with d'Lynn. He put the Chelan rally on for a few more years but didn't care to make it an official USCA event. I've since lost contact with him as well. The photo is d'Lynn and Billie at the first CSR.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeys
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.

The USCA is about promoting and supporting the sidecar community, rallies, etc.. In the larger world of motorcycling, we sidecarists are too small in number to be bickering or divided. 

Not everyone has the time and funds to travel across the country to attend a national rally. We will help promote any state or regional sidecar gathering, anywhere, anytime. Just let us know when it is, where it is and who the contact person is.

Jan "CCjon" Daub

DirtyDR, DRONE and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
DirtyDRDRONEThane LewisReardan TomFlyinMonkeys

Went for a short ride last weekend with my better half. We only drove around for a couple of hours. We are waiting for the weather to warm up so the pup does not freeze. Planning on making some longer rides when it does. Hoping to ride out to Palouse Falls in Washington once it does.

Uploaded files:
smitty901, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
smitty901Reardan TomFlyingMonkeys
Dennis P. Spokane WA USAF Retired 1996 Harley FLHTCUI with Liberty Sidecar

You know there is some gravel road going in to the Palouse Falls. Well worth the trip and your bike will sure feel right at home on the gravel road... lol....

Dennis Peabody and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Dennis PeabodyFlyingMonkeys
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.

That is one of my day trips I have planned for this summer.

Reardan Tom has reacted to this post.
Reardan Tom

Add Steptoe Butte to the list as well... My thoughts.

Uploaded files:
SwampFox, Dennis Peabody and Dave Brakebill have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxDennis PeabodyDave Brakebill

Back in '05 or '06 we had the national rally at Stevenson, WA along the Columbia River.  This could be a central place to meet up for a one day ride, good for Washington and Oregon riders and any others who might wish to come.

How about it?

Dennis Peabody and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Dennis PeabodyFlyingMonkeys

That was a great rally! My first sidecar rally. I'd been to many solo rallies, too many to count but I trailered the Ural down. Another first. Trailering to a rally. Archie's first rally. Vernon invited us and some others on a great back country ride. Great memories still!!

Uploaded files:
FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys
Quote from mwnelson on May 2, 2023, 3:07 pm

Back in '05 or '06 we had the national rally at Stevenson, WA along the Columbia River.  This could be a central place to meet up for a one day ride, good for Washington and Oregon riders and any others who might wish to come.

How about it?

I would be up to that ride, it sounds like to would be a lot of fun. Plus I would finally be able to meet some more folks from USCA.

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

I too would be up for that ride, and gathering. Just set a date and time, and I shall be there.

Uploaded files:
Reardan Tom has reacted to this post.
Reardan Tom

OK, I have only heard from a couple people so not sure how much interest there is out there.  It looks like Thursday, June 22nd will be a good weather day so I am proposing a "meet & greet" in Stevenson, Washington.  I have 3 or 4 other local riders who would join me, so I'd like to hear from others who would join us.  Suggest meeting by noon at the grocery store in middle of Stevenson where we can either decide on a local restaurant for lunch or just grab something at the store and then lunch at a small park on the river (if there aren't too many windsurfers there).

Who's up for it?

There is the USCA National Rally starting in Iowa on that same date... June 22nd.

While I would love to attend any sidecar gathering in the PNW....I will be on the road, and attending the USCA National Rally in Iowa on that date.

Maybe those not attending the USCA National Rally have forgotten about it.... but it is happening.

Miles