Notifications
Clear all

My newest rig...

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sidecarpete)
Topic starter

Hello sidecar folk, greetings from Northern NH.

In 2020 something came over me, and I got a Champion Vintage sidecar installed on my 1998 H-D FLSTN as a 65th birthday present for myself.

Nearest Champion dealer was in NJ, so I brought the bike to Ace Trike in Glassboro around May of '20. Rig was complete in October and I rode it home.

I ordered just about every available option installed on it.

The outfit is wide, heavy, super stable, handles great and is a joy to ride. That's the good. Here's the bad: There is a short somewhere and needs to be properly rewired. Champion's front lower subframe has a scant 3 1/2 inches of road clearance and needs re-fabricating and attached to a different mounting point. The subframe utilizes the two front motor mount bolts, and replaces the existing bolts with LONG bolts that grounded out and bent the first time I went down my friends unpaved road.

Maybe I'm nitpicking but I think the sidecar nose should come up a degree or 3, and there should be a right rear signal on the hack, which there ain't.

Most of this work is out of my expertise so looking for guidance on who could do this work somewhere near the northeast if possible.

Posted : January 6, 2024 7:14 am
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

Here is the USCA map of sidecar m leanufacturers https://sidecar.com/map-of-sidecar-manufacturers-dealers-and-installers/

On the map is a place named Rhoads Motor Sports in Loudon, NH.  I personally don't know anything about them other than they are the only ones listed in NH.

You said you were in Northern NH.  There is also Lake City Ural listed in Plattsburgh NY.

A competent independent motorcycle mechanic should be able to handle the wiring issues.

Not sure what you mean about a right turn signal.  It looks like there is one on your fender.  If it's not working that could be a wiring problem too.

The tilting of the nose isn't what you need to look at.  Check the sidecar's frame to see if it's level.  (Side to side and front to back) If it is, maybe you can fabricate some kind of spacers to raise the tub up but that would be more about cosmetics.  I mean sure maybe you'd scrape the nose if you were doing stoppies.

The subframe is going to be the hardest to tackle.  You will need a competent fabricator for that.

More pictures of the problem areas might get more responses from the crowd here.  There are some pretty handy folks on this site that might have some ideas to take to a fabricator.

Posted : January 8, 2024 5:03 am
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

I had another thought. 

Did you change the front end spring to a heavier duty spring?  With the extra weight of the sidecar and passengers, you current spring may be sagging too much - lowering the front end so it scrapes too easily.

A heavier weight spring will raise the front end up a bit.  Possibly giving you an inch to inch and a half more clearance at the front subframe.

That'll help but this will never be an offroad rig.  IE. you buddies gravel drive may just be off limits.

I would start at the dealership and see if HD ever offered a heavier spring for Springers with sidecars.  If not, I would call EPM Performance and see what they say. 732-786-9777

This guy changed springs as part of trying to change the trail of the forks to make it steer easier.  You said you like the handling of yours so ignore the trail reduction parts and just skim to the spring changes he made.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/reducing-trail-on-a-harley-springer-front-end.495904/#post-49442785

Changing a spring will be way easier than trying to re-engineer the subframe and may buy you enough clearance for stress-free road riding.

Posted : January 8, 2024 5:25 am
(@miles-ladue)

Yo, Drew.....he said it should have a  RIGHT  turnsignal on the  sidecar.......he never  mentioned a LEFT turnsignal issue. 

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : January 8, 2024 2:43 pm
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

Quote from FlyingMonkeys on January 8, 2024, 7:43 pm

Yo, Drew.....he said it should have a  RIGHT  turnsignal on the  sidecar.......he never  mentioned a LEFT turnsignal issue. 

Don't suppose I can blame that on autocorrect, can I?

I still have to look at my hands to see my wedding ring to know right from left.

Posted : January 9, 2024 4:31 am
(@sidecarpete)
Topic starter

Thank you to Drew and Flyingmonkeys for your helpful replies. I ordered every option on my sidecar with the exception of the stainless steel body trim strips:

EZ STEER electric lean

Raked trees

Spotlight

Driving light

Matching paint

Matching tombstone taillight

Champion reverse gear

Interior light

Trunk light

Dual USB port/power/lighter socket

Seat belt

Carpeted interior

When you increase front rake it lowers the chassis, also creates issues with handlebar steering lock. I can live with it. I have  some ideas for the fabrication of a replacement front lower mount, and I will reach out to Rhoads in Loudon NH. Thanks Drew.

There are many unpaved roads in NH's North Country so solving the ground clearance issue is a priority for me.

Posted : January 9, 2024 1:59 pm
(@aceinsav)

When you increase front rake it lowers the chassis, also creates issues with handlebar steering lock. I can live with it. I have  some ideas for the fabrication of a replacement front lower mount, and I will reach out to Rhoads in Loudon NH. Thanks Drew.

most of your easy steer kits come with spacers designed to bring the height back to factory specs. they just screw onto the top of the fork tubes 

doesn't help with the steering lock but brings the front end back up 

Posted : January 10, 2024 2:41 am
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

If you already have a raked triple then most of what that guy did in the build thread I linked applies to you.

He changed that center shock and it raised the bike up.

Posted : January 10, 2024 4:05 am
(@smitty901)

If you rake the tree either slugs are used or longer tube to bring the bike back to level front in should be.

Example my 202o RGL factory wheel base is 64 inches. 4 1/2 degree rake using Slugs about 1 3/4 puts bike back at correct height.

Wheelbase grows by about 3 1/4 inches.

My 2017 with 6 degree I used new tubes about 2 inches long.

In some cases bikes tube may be extend up from the tree and they can be moved down.

Posted : January 10, 2024 8:20 am
(@2FLTC)

The only reason they use slugs it the cheap any easy way out. I do not recommend them and would not use them. I would use the right size fork tubes. Second the bike has a springer fork the lower tree is part assemble of it so there's no changing the trees.  It can be done be they would be a lot of work and expense doing it. 

Posted : January 11, 2024 2:27 am
(@smitty901)

Done right and right equipment slugs are no weaker that the tubes.  This is not the Late 60's when people put 8-10 slugs in.

Posted : January 12, 2024 2:46 am