Notifications
Clear all

Map Stuff

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@metalcarver)
Topic starter

Having had a lot of time to kill in waiting rooms and recovery care giving, instead of playing solitaire or watching talking heads, I've been playing with maps.  This is a link to a Gaia GPS page with points for gas stations (west of rockies).  Whilst there you can download a kml or gpx version or pm me.  GAS   

Posted : January 20, 2024 2:10 pm
(@metalcarver)
Topic starter

More obsessive cataloging. Camp sites.  Most from the maps but I've thrown in dispersed sites I've stayed at.

CAMP

I can make a kml or gpx file if anyone needs but it's a work in progress.  I'm still adding stuff to the gaia page and you can generate gpx or kml fies from gaia.

Posted : January 20, 2024 7:42 pm
 Drew
(@andrew-baker)

Sorry about the why but appreciate the results.

Posted : January 21, 2024 4:43 am
(@scott-h)

Very cool!  Thank you for putting this together.  Can import that as a layer on a planned route.  🙂

Hope you get healthy quick to enjoy all the work you are putting in.

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : January 21, 2024 7:05 am
(@metalcarver)
Topic starter

Well thank you, but it's the people I'm taking care of that are the victims.  I got a pretty bad scare a year ago when I came down with wet macular degeneration.  By injecting this wild drug directly into my eyeball they have repaired the sucker to 20/20.  Just one of the bullets I have dodged over the years.  Not so lucky are others who get sick and don't get better.  So I've clicked the safety off and I'm eyeing June 2024 with bad intent. 

We're just scratching the surface of what obsessive/compulsive can do when combined with adhd...

Washington Roads

Nothing that was not already there on the map but I prioritized by my own prejudices.  The colors are to help visualize a route and are organized by road surface.  Black = paved, whether one lane or twelve.  Red = gravel or other routine maintenance surface.  The presence of bridges or culverts means that someone might be taking care of the road.  Probably can handle local weather conditions or likely to be repaired.  Tan means natural surface.  In the desert it means that if it rains you might stay there forever.  In the mountains you could be a mysterious disappearance and live forever in the local folkore.  For some reason I thought it might be doable but...

Same here:

Olympic Peninsula Routes 

Oregon Roads

Posted : January 21, 2024 12:27 pm
 MGV8
(@mgv8)

Thank you, These may come in handy over the next few years. 

Posted : January 21, 2024 5:03 pm
(@james-williams)

I use the GasBuddy App on my phone, which not only shows all of the gas station locations, it also give prices.  They have a new tool I've yet to explore which allows you to estimate fuel costs for trips.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/

Posted : February 23, 2024 6:27 am
(@james-williams)

For camping locations, the young couple from OZ that we recently hosted introduced me to the iOverlander App for camping spots.

https://www.ioverlander.com/

Posted : February 23, 2024 6:32 am