Skip to content
If you post an ad f...

Notifications
Clear all

If you post an ad for something to sell.....

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@miles-ladue)
Topic starter

It is most unfortunate that people need to be reminded, or schooled, on how to properly write and ad for items for sale, but apparently some people still miss the mark when they post an ad.

Rather than posting a skimpy ad that forces potential buyers to play a game of 40 questions, it is in your best interest to include all the vital information about the item you are trying to sell, as that gets more people's attention, requires less questions to be asked, and shares that info to everyone that reads your ad, rather than giving that info to this person in a private message, or that person in a phone call.

As I stated in one of my earlier posts, I seem to be able to write an ad, and sell everything that I advertise, in one week or less, and in some cases within 24 hours.

If any of you post an ad for something for sale, let's use the example of a complete sidecar rig, PLEASE include the following info in your first post advertising this sidecar rig:

YEAR of the motorcycle being sold

BRAND of the motorcycle being sold

MODEL of the motorcycle being sold

MILEAGE on the motorcycle being sold

BRAND of the Sidecar being sold

MODEL of the sidecar being sold

PRICE you are asking for this complete sidecar rig

LOCATION of where the complete sidecar rig is located

If you want to include a phone number, your name, and ANY other pertinent information that you feel could help sell this sidecar rig, that is great. The MORE information, the better, without going into a song and dance about miniscule things.

Want to tell people about the tires....great.....tell them about custom items on the rig....great....but the very basic items listed about are absolutely NECESSARY in every ad, as otherwise you lose potential buyers.

I know of several people that will never look at an ad a second time if the basic necessary info is not in that first ad. And if potential buyers are forced to play a game of asking 40 questions, that burns out some buyers, and they throw their hands into the air, and walk away.

Don't hurt your chances of finding a buyer, by writing a bad ad.

Post PICTURES in the very first ad you post....and as many pictures as are allowed....not just one, or two...but post 10 pictures, as pictures tell 1,000 words.

Make it easy for a buyer, rather than making a buyer jump through all kinds of hoops and circles just to squeeze the info out of you.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : February 22, 2024 6:41 pm
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

I wonder if this sort of thing should be reviewed by a Moderator prior to an ad going live.  At the moment, I believe we have exactly one Moderator who is also the Site Admin potentially adding excess work to their plate by making such a policy. 

Thus, perhaps it is time we added a Mod or two to the membership?

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : February 23, 2024 5:53 am
(@miles-ladue)
Topic starter

Thane, I am the Mod....ad nauseam....by my own selection, or is that pontification ? (again, we need smiley face icons)

Don't think we really need an official Mod on these forum pages, as evidence has shown that Mods on that "other" hacks forum website can really screw things up. We are the civilized version of that "other" site (laugh with me...us...civilized...ha ha ha ha ha)

But I do believe it is incumbent upon each of us to post a properly worded ad, so that a seller has less than 40 questions to answer, and so that potential buyers don't give up halfway through trying to get answers to the most basic info on a sidecar rig. You and I know each other, and your are an educator in your work life, so if you wanted to post an ad for a sidecar rig for sale, I have no doubt that it would be done right, or...Karen would sic Maddie on you.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : February 23, 2024 6:08 am
(@webmaster)
Admin

Maybe not a bad idea to have others look at an ad and have the opportunity to review and/or edit it. I do want to mention that we have a pinned, permanent post at the top of the "Complete Rigs For Sale" forum that states,

"If you are posting an ad you should clearly state the price, location, and any special terms including shipping, terms of sale (and escrow if it is offered). You do not have to be a paid USCA member to post ads here, but you do need to register as a user (menu at the top). Simply create a username and a password and you can post. Ads here work just like any other post - give it a descriptive subject line, then a complete description in the body of the ad. To add photos just click the "Choose File" button at the bottom and upload up to 10 pics."  Link to Posting Requirements for "For Sale" ads

The information is there if people will read it. Miles' post is more detailed and could serve as a model for an improved post, again, if people will read it. 

Thus having a moderator to help them might be a good idea. 

There is another moderator (other than me) and that is Ace ("AceinSav"). But I don't think he normally looks at posts with the idea to edit them or contact the poster. He generally helps me catch spammers early and nuke their posts. 

There are other abilities that come with moderation such as the ability to move, edit, or delete any post. That implies some responsibility and judgment for any moderator, for example, in my experience, the self-discipline not to go in and edit people's spelling or grammar errors, much as it is tempting to do so. 

But in this context the idea is to hold the post in queue prior to posting and I don't think our current forum application can do that. I'll have to research. 

Jerry

Jerry
I fly (and ride) to free my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted : February 23, 2024 6:23 am
(@scott-h)

I can see this for an ad in online classified media, but forums are about communications.  The more accurate and descriptive, the less opportunity to communicate with each other.

I think the only requirement should be two words "For Sale", and one very blurry picture.  For those not skilled in taking blurry pictures, a picture in total darkness would suffice.  Shouldn't even need to be of the actual item.  

If someone is interested in making a purchase they can message the seller for relevant info.   This keeps the ads short and focused to those actually looking to buy... something.  While providing others the opportunity for mirthful social engagement. 

<Insert big winking emoji here>

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : February 23, 2024 6:29 am
(@reardan-tom)

Of course one can always do like I did. That is not post an ad at all. But wait for someone to post what they are looking for. Dennis did. And quite by coincidence, I had what he was looking for and had been considering selling, but wasn't real sure. I responded to his "wanted" post and the rest is history. In fact the biggest part of my life is history but it was a great fit, and I'm sure meant to be. Another coincidence, we live about 45 minutes apart. "Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end..." But they did.

Posted : February 23, 2024 1:42 pm
(@webmaster)
Admin

I searched thru the settings for this forum application and there is not an option to hold posts 'in queue' waiting for a moderator to approve. And in any case, that would apply to ALL posts - not something most users would put up with. So our only option is to help people make their posts better with friendly communication that others will see in the future and learn from. Kinda what sheath said. More communication is better, and friendly is even better. 

Jerry 
Webmaster

Jerry
I fly (and ride) to free my mind from the tyranny of petty things. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted : February 23, 2024 3:23 pm