Clear all

98 Royal Star with Hannigan Astro

8 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)
Topic starter

An opportunity has arisen that has made it necessary to offer up for sale our 1998 Royal Star Classic XVZ1300 with Hannigan Astro rig for sale.  The rig was assembled by Nelson (Sargeant) Slawter in North Carolina.  We purchased it from him in 2021 at the National Rally in Mena, Arkansas and have enjoyed it very much.  Sadly, Nelson passed later in 2021.

Spring 2022 I had the carbs completely redone so it runs well.  In the spring of 2023 I had a 6 gallon auxiliary fuel cell installed in order to get around 170 miles between fill ups.  This spring I had Progressive Springs installed in the front forks in order to settle down the front end on long trips.  Where we live, every trip is a long one!  I put a new tire on the car this spring and a new Falken automotive tire on the pusher wheel last fall.  Steering is very easy and the rig is extremely stable at road speed on right and left curves.  I've never gotten the chair to fly except the one time we were both on the bike and only the dog in the car for a trial run.  Wasn't fun and no longer an option.

The front forks have been modified with Hannigan's fork rake kit by Nelson when he set up the rig.  My wife says that even on very rough roads and railroad crossings the ride is quite comfortable. The scoop on the front of the car can be opened and closed by the monkey to allow more airflow.  Fuel economy drops dramatically above 65.  There is a throttle lock on the throttle.  A second rider seat with conchos is included as is the matching pillion seat.  I will say that the original seat has virtually no padding but looks fabulous.

The rig is located in central Nebraska.  If you plan a fly and ride, there aren't a lot of options (Grand Island, North Platte are nearest) but I can be induced to deliver it to CO, WY, SD, KS, IA or MO for a meetup almost any weekend or any time beginning mid May.  The rig gets around 26 mpg while running at 65.  If you bring a trailer, it needs to be AT LEAST 83" between the side rails.  55231 miles showing on the bike.

I'm asking $8750 plus some consideration for fuel if being delivered.  Home phone: 308-872-8306 (land line so no texts).

This topic was modified 5 hours ago by Thane Lewis

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : April 7, 2024 8:50 am
(@miles-ladue)

WOW...that is a nice rig.

I have seen this rig in person at the National Rally in Hotchkiss, CO, and again at the National Rally in Iowa last year.

Owned and driven by a very competent sidecarist......but don't be bothered by those tree leaves that their little doggie...Maddie....picks up and brings into the sidecar with her. Those can be vacuumed out.

Thane, is this the Hannigan Astro...or the Hannigan Astro 2+2 version  ?

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : April 7, 2024 9:04 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)
Topic starter

Odd.  I have tried three times to post some more pics but it won't post. 

Thank you, Miles!  The car might be the Astro 2+2 and looks like it could handle a bench seat, but this only has the single seat installed. 

Posted : April 7, 2024 9:13 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)
Topic starter

more pics

Posted : April 7, 2024 9:17 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)
Topic starter

and a final few

Posted : April 7, 2024 9:20 am
(@miles-ladue)

I will add....I have previously owned 2 of these Yamaha V-4 bikes, both were the 2006 Yamaha Royal Start Midnight Tour Deluxe models, and that V-4 engine is a dream. The 4 carbs are easy to balance, and when properly balanced that engine is like a freight train.

Nice drive shaft, very good brakes, and has all the power a sidecarist would want to pull that Hannigan Astro down the road.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : April 7, 2024 9:32 am
(@big-tom)

That is an eye-catching rig for sure,  GLWS.

Posted : April 7, 2024 1:30 pm
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)
Topic starter

@goat-roper @Calley Davis call my home (land line) 308-872-8306.  Central Time zone

Posted : May 2, 2024 8:17 pm