Notifications
Clear all

Triple tree options for 1500 Goldwing?

13 Posts
7 Users
11 Likes
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

Just wondering how many companies I have to choose from for a set of triple tree's for my 96 1500. And what degree you guys recommend.

I know about the the Hannigans for $1200. Ouch. I've heard of EZ-Steer, but don't know how much they cost.

I can get the ones off ebay for around $600 or less. Are they worth having?

Is there any others to consider? Thanks for any input.

Posted : April 21, 2024 5:43 am
(@miles-ladue)

Calvin, the options are somewhat limited....

Bill, the guy in the upper midwest, that makes them for several sidecar companies, used to make them for the former DMC, so....Jon at the new DMC in Texas, at TSC...will know who Bill is.

But also, TSC/DMC in Texas probably makes their own now, or...they still get them from someone like Bill.

Yes, Hannigan makes them, and makes their own, inhouse.

You want a minimum of 4.5 degree, and a maximum of 6 degree. Some folks think the 6 degree change makes it a little too light in steering, yet others like it.

I believe that Hannigan offers the compromise of a 5.25 degree change in triple tree rake.

Post up about the one for sale on e-bay, and let us offer an opinion, based on what we see.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : April 21, 2024 7:16 am
(@calvin-watson)
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

I was on the fence over the 4 or 6 degree. Especially the 6 being too light on the highway. But if Hannigans is 5,,,, that MIGHT be perfect. But is it worth twice the price?

I'm in the middle of a final drive disaster. I was just going to put on my new progressive rear coil over shocks, and taxi tire. Pulled the rear wheel and everything is shot. Dampners, and the splines on the drive flange, wheel bearing. It's going to be about a $600 fix roughly.

So I'm selling a bunch of stuff. I might just sell enough to get tome triple trees,,,,lol.

Posted : April 21, 2024 7:33 am
(@smitty901)

Β  No one builds a better GW tree than Hannigan.

Posted : April 21, 2024 7:59 am
(@miles-ladue)

Calvin, you might want to call Hannigan, and ask them...what degree of triple trees do they suggest for a Goldwing 1500 SIDECAR rig ?

I emphasize "sidecar rig" because there MAY be a difference in what they use for a TRIKE kit.

Also, I forgot to mention Champion Sidecars in Southern Calif. They still built 3 models of sidecars, so most likely they can make, or sell the triple trees for a Goldwing 1500.

Given the Low, Low price of those on E-Bay, one has to wonder....where are they getting them from, and what is it REALLY made of.

If someone can speak up about having purchased a set of triple trees from E-Bay, and they were quality built...I would love to read that.

I'm not at all saying that stuff on E-Bay isn't good, just a little bit skeptical, given the low, low price.

AND, whilst we have you on the phone, Sir Calvin, Caretaker of Wilton, Thee Dog, what in the heck happened to the rear diff on your Goldwing 1500? That is not only quite unusual...it is normally unheard of...unlike the BMW rear diffs that were replaced with every 2nd rear tire change.

How many MILES on that bike right now ?

Be aware...the loaded springs in the front forks of a Goldwing 1500 are under a LOT more pressure than those on a Goldwing 1800, so...it will take 3 men and a small dog to compress those fork springs back into place, when trying to screw the caps back onto the fork tubes.

BUT.....if there is NO Need to open those fork tubes, then just slide them out of the olde triple trees, and slide them up into the newly installed gnu triple trees (gnu, as in NEW), and you won't need 3 men and a small dog to work on the bike.

Posted : April 21, 2024 9:29 am
(@smitty901)

Β Many of the rake trees you see on ebay and others are not what you want for a sidecar rig.Β 

They maybe ok for someone that wants a rake for a different front tire or a chopper look.Β  A sidecar large rig not only has an added weight issue . It has the mass to deal with. All they do it change the rake angle .Β  They are not designed with added strength .

Β  The Hannigan Steer light on my bike is CNC machined. It is designed to be stronger. When you hold one in your hand you see the difference.

Posted : April 21, 2024 10:36 am
(@brstr)

It was Bill who made mine for the 650 Strom..Β Β 

Did the job very nicely.

Same Bill? Don'tΒ  know.Β 

Ask Dave Fran.

Posted : April 21, 2024 3:33 pm
(@ned)

EZ Steer makes a 5Β° kit for $1000.Β  LINK

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : April 21, 2024 3:42 pm
Brstr reacted
(@don)

Does anyone know if a 5 degree triple tree is available for a 1998 Valkyrie?Β  Would it be the same as for a Goldwing?

Posted : April 23, 2024 9:57 am
(@smitty901)

Valkyrie came with a lot of rake from factory If I am not mistaken 32.3 degree. Give any changes serious home work.

This post was modified 1 week ago by smitty901

Posted : April 23, 2024 10:13 am
(@aceinsav)

I have bought all my triple tree's for my wings from Randy (Papa Zook) on trike talk CUT N SHOOT CUSTOMS - Roadsmith Hannigan, Trike Conversion

about 735.00 delivered to my door. excellent quality productsΒ 

Posted : April 25, 2024 11:55 am
(@miles-ladue)

@Calvin-Watson, I am not sure you have seen these other posts, but...@bentleyssq is selling a complete Unit Leading Link front end, off his Goldwing1500, and it will fit perfectly onto your bike, negating the need for a new triple tree. He is asking $800.00 for the complete Unit Leading Link front end, fender, wheel, discs , nuts,bolts axle.Β  That is a more than fair price for all that, as typically a NEW Leading Link front end would cost you 4 to 5 times that, just for the Leading Link, and in this case you get a complete front end.

The problem...it is in Englewood, Florida, so shipping it all might be very expensive.

Look in the recent forum posts, for the one titled...Unit Leading Link.

Posted : April 26, 2024 9:00 am
Brstr reacted
(@calvin-watson)
Topic starter

Posted by: @miles-ladue

@Calvin-Watson, I am not sure you have seen these other posts, but...@bentleyssq is selling a complete Unit Leading Link front end, off his Goldwing1500, and it will fit perfectly onto your bike, negating the need for a new triple tree. He is asking $800.00 for the complete Unit Leading Link front end, fender, wheel, discs , nuts,bolts axle.Β  That is a more than fair price for all that, as typically a NEW Leading Link front end would cost you 4 to 5 times that, just for the Leading Link, and in this case you get a complete front end.

The problem...it is in Englewood, Florida, so shipping it all might be very expensive.

Look in the recent forum posts, for the one titled...Unit Leading Link.

Β 

Β 

Thanks for the heads up.

Β 

I would love to have it. But unfortunately I had the buyer of my 1972 Honda Z50 back out on me. I hate selling on market place. So now I'm back square one waiting for a sale,,,,lol.

Β 

If we had to guess, I wonder how much it would cost to ship to Illinois?Β  That's assuming he would be willing to ship in the first place. Guess I'll ask him.

Β 

Thanks

Β 

Posted : April 26, 2024 9:19 am
FlyingMonkeys and Brstr reacted