Busted Shock 562B V...

Notifications
Clear all

Busted Shock 562B Velorex.

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Any body have this happen? I went to adjust the shock with a spanner wrench it would not go, I tryed three wrenches on it, Grabbed it with some Channel locks and the adjuster retainer snapped. What a piece of crap. I'm sure the shock is snapped in half, that is why it did not adjust. Less than three thousand Miles I am sure. no warranty of course. So Lonnie said to go Progressive. Anyone no what to tell them? as far as application? save me some time.

Posted : June 19, 2006 5:54 pm
(@xs650)

you might also have some luck with Hagon because they have modular options to match several fitments and do build each order to spec. They are also easy to communicate with.

Posted : June 24, 2006 5:19 pm
(@claude-3563)

We have been done quite a few Velorex upgrades by going to a torsion bar suspension which also includes a tilt adjustment feature. In doing these the stock shock comes off. I am amazed at how many of these stock shocks have been broken and the owner never knew it. It is as though the shaft comes loose inside the shock. When shock is removed it comes out in two pieces. Have also seen some where the shaft was bent. Note that these were all on older 562s or 700s.

Posted : June 25, 2006 12:46 am
(@Anonymous)

It is just the lower cup that is broken. it did not come out in two pieces.

Posted : June 25, 2006 6:04 am
(@Hack__n)

Velorex is constantly improving their products. The adjustable shock is part of one of the later upgrades.
I've had a few of the old model shocks that came out in two pieces.
On those the shaft was threaded into the lower valving body. I've tried to screw them back in but without success. There was no way to hold the lower part so it could be tightened properly.
The new adjustable shock has a cast aluminum adjuster that will adjust with the proper spanner and under no load. This is something that is not usually done often, if done at all.
Being made of cast material it can crack or crush if forced with channel lock pliers instead of a proper sized spanner.
A shock with a steel adjuster would work better.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar

Posted : June 25, 2006 6:37 am
(@Anonymous)

Yes Lonnie, I guess we didn't have the proper wrench, we only had a drawer full of them to choose from. The cup was cracked and slipped already is why it wouldn't adjust.

Posted : June 25, 2006 6:53 am
(@claude-3563)

Originally written by Hack'n on 6/25/2006 11:37 AM

Velorex is constantly improving their products. The adjustable shock is part of one of the later upgrades.
I've had a few of the old model shocks that came out in two pieces.
On those the shaft was threaded into the lower valving body. I've tried to screw them back in but without success. There was no way to hold the lower part so it could be tightened properly.
The new adjustable shock has a cast aluminum adjuster that will adjust with the proper spanner and under no load. This is something that is not usually done often, if done at all.
Being made of cast material it can crack or crush if forced with channel lock pliers instead of a proper sized spanner.
A shock with a steel adjuster would work better.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar

Glad to hear they have improved the shock Lonnie. As many of them that we have seen come out in two pieces and as many oif those that were still riding daily and never knew it makes one wonder how many are out there that are bad and still in service.

Posted : June 25, 2006 2:42 pm
(@Anonymous)

Just a reminder. The rotating adjuster on ANY shock is a moving part. It therefore should be periodically lubricated. My last two orders for Progressive brand shocks came with a packet of lubricant and a warning to keep this connection lubricated. Since shocks are seldom adjusted it's not impossible to expect failure. I doubt the newer shocks on the 565 Velorex will experience the same problems this thread has discussed. TomJ

Posted : June 28, 2006 2:58 am
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Tom for the heads up.

Posted : July 5, 2006 4:46 pm
(@Anonymous)

What kind of lube Tom? Spray?

Posted : July 5, 2006 5:20 pm
(@Anonymous)

The grease that came with my Progressives looks and feels like a cross between Vaseline and wax. (Although I doubt that's what it really is.) I've been using the spray lube that is used on drive chains on motorcycles. It sprays on very wet to penetrate, then the "carrier" evaporates and leaves a thick water-resistant grease in the cavities. Some people don't like it saying it will attract dirt. But, the alternative seems to be a broken shock ..... TomJ

Posted : July 6, 2006 2:42 am
(@Anonymous)

After reading this thread and needing to find out if I could adjust the shock on the 565 I went out to the Bahn (Maine term) to try and adjust the setting... it will not budge and in lieu of busting mine I think I'll pull the rim off and have a go from that side of the mount. It is now on the lowest setting, the ride is okay according to the main passenger but I was hoping to dial out some of the reaction from the edge of the road where the car's wheel travels.

The shock measures 12-1/2" eye to eye (center) and I happen to have a set of Progressive 412 shocks that I had on one of the Guzzis for a very short time. I guess I would need to know spring rates and all that before just installing one of these shocks, although I'll know better in the morning... they look too fat anyway. Not much clearance there to the tub on the Velo..
Thanks,
Rob

Posted : July 7, 2006 5:47 pm
(@Anonymous)

RadGhack My wheel was off at the time mine busted, I'm darn sure the lower cup was already cracked and slipped past the pin is way it would not adjust. On the 562B.

Posted : July 7, 2006 7:41 pm