Clear all

Austone 175R16 CT on rear wheel GL1500

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 mcy1
(@mcy1)
Topic starter

First, hello to all you 3 wheelers and second,this very old newbie needs some help. Decided to ride again at the tender age of 81. My lady said OK on 3 wheels.
Bought a nice rig sitting for a long time up in PA. 2000 Goldwing 1500SE with a Motorvation formula II SC. Finally got it down here with the help of a really nice young man named Donald Gannon, All Bikes Towing and transportation, 772-985-1895. He actually was up there right after hurricane Sandy. After reading many threads on several websites decided to go with Austone taxi rear and Michelin Activ front. The rig is at my Honda dealer and just got a call from them.
The Austone is really rubbing badly on the rear fender. Is there a fix? I would really prefer to go with a CT if possible. All help really appreciated.

Posted : December 11, 2012 6:20 am
(@Anonymous)

Welcome to the forum, Mcy1! One of my best riding buddies is a vigorous 82 years young, and never got the email about 'Slowing down a little...' He's a very scary guy in the S's with the pegs sparking and can do it with a punched out Harley full dresser!

The answer, if there is one, would depend on where exactly the tire hits the fender, like top, sides, what area of sides etc. and when and how?

Posted : December 11, 2012 7:11 am
(@Lloyd)

Hello mcy1, welcome to the sidecar world, I am 71 so have a while to go catch up to you. I have a 95 GL1500 with a sidecar, and I run a car tire on the rear. I have a Dunlop Winter Sport Run on Flat tire. The size is 175/60R16, it fits great, no rubbing anywhere. It is a shorter tire then the Elite III that I replaced. The distance from the center of the rear axle to the ground, went from 12 5/8 to 12 1/4 inches. RPM at 65 mph went from 2800 rpm to 3050 rpm. I added 3 oz of Dynabeads, to balance the tire, and it seems to be working out great, the three groves around the tire measured 10/32, 11/32, and 10/32 when new, I haven't measured the tread latly but it looks to be wearing very well. the ct gives me greater load capacity, better traction, and the peace of mind of being a run flat, I check pressure in all of the tires often, and don't really feel the need of a tire pressure monitering system, though the tire company recomends it. ( I run 42 psi in the rear, which seems to give me a nice flat foot print) I ordered the tire from Tire Rack.com, and the price was about $150 with shipping. Hope this helps, good luck with yours.

Posted : December 11, 2012 10:05 am
 mcy1
(@mcy1)
Topic starter

Thank you XLerate and Lloyd for your replies and your welcome. I went over to the Darkside website and found the forum where I originally got the idea for the taxi tire. Found a thread that described the same problem.
The problem was caused by the pins holding the mudflap to the rear fender. I passed this on the my tech at the Honda dealer and he will check it out tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to riding again, and i will keep you informed on the tire fit.
Again, many thanks,
Bob

Posted : December 11, 2012 12:23 pm
(@swampfox)

mcy1 - 12/11/2012 5:23 PM
... I'm really looking forward to riding again, and i will keep you informed on the tire fit....

Welcome to the fray mcy1. Here's to lots of miles & smiles. Please take some time to study and practice, practice to learn driving a sidecar rig. A training class is a good idea. And keep us informed. Cool

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : December 11, 2012 4:07 pm
(@sidecar-2)

mcy1 - 12/11/2012 4:23 PM Thank you XLerate and Lloyd for your replies and your welcome. I went over to the Darkside website and found the forum where I originally got the idea for the taxi tire. Found a thread that described the same problem. The problem was caused by the pins holding the mudflap to the rear fender. I passed this on the my tech at the Honda dealer and he will check it out tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to riding again, and i will keep you informed on the tire fit. Again, many thanks, Bob

I'm guessing it will be this or something equally simple. I also run a Dunlop WinterSport but I know most people who choose the Austone do so because it is closest in height to the original Goldwing tire.

Posted : December 11, 2012 4:14 pm
(@Lloyd)

Hi again, mcy1, another thing that I forgot to put in my first reply, is to keep the air pressure in your rear suspension at the max allowed, I think it is 72PSI, with the bike on the center stand, since it is hard to get a sidecar rig on the centerstand I put my jack below the centerstand and raise the rear tire off the ground so that there is no weight on the suspension, after setting it the Honda correct way, I remove the jack, get on the bike, bounce on it a couple of times, and see what the pressure says with me on it, I write that PSI down, then don't have to use the jack after that. Keeping the suspension as high as possable gives you a little more room under the fender. Good luck.

Posted : December 11, 2012 6:18 pm
(@RandyC)

I run an Austone on a 1990 1500SE. The mudflap had to be removed.

Posted : December 27, 2012 8:59 am
(@Sidcar)

Thanks for this info. I tried to take my 1500 GL / Watsonian outfit out in the snow Sunday and it was useless, no grip at all with the standard solo rear tyre. When it's worn out I shall fit a 175/16. Be about right for next winter.

Sid

Posted : January 22, 2013 9:45 am