Notifications
Clear all

2003 FLHTCI

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Wolfy)
Topic starter

Looking into adding a sidecar to my bike. Is there a need to upgrade the cam and also install a heavier duty clutch.

Posted : August 29, 2015 7:16 pm
(@Hack__n)

I'd upgrade to 103ci and add the HD clutch.
Worked for me!

Lonnie

Posted : August 30, 2015 7:05 am
(@Wolfy)
Topic starter

Thanks Hack'n. Should I add triple tree to front end also? Between the cost of the hack and the modifications to the bike I may be better off finding a used rig and/or upgrading to a newer bike then adding the hack?

Posted : August 30, 2015 11:49 am
(@Hack__n)

The modified trees add a lot of easy steering and less arm fatigue.

Lonnie

Posted : August 30, 2015 2:43 pm
(@jaydmc)

The tree's yes, Are you using all of the power you now have? I would try it first, chances are you already have more then enough power. I would not worry about the clutch or drive belt, when it comes time to replace them any way's then do the up grades.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Posted : August 31, 2015 6:49 am
(@Wolfy)
Topic starter

Jay, I am probably not using all the power of the bike however have not used it in a situation where I am also moving the weight of a hack plus 120lbs. worth of dogs [ plus my wife and I ]. Thank you for the suggestion. The trees are a definite.

Posted : August 31, 2015 11:38 am
(@bluehdmc)

If you're going to upgrade the clutch while your in there change the primary gearing to pre TC88 gears. (Compensator sprocket and clutch basket sprocket.) That drops your gear ratio down a little, and doesn't mess with your speedometer. That would help give you a little more power off the line and you'd be cruising at a little more RPM in 5th gear. Otherwise you might find you won't be able to use 5th gear very much.

Posted : September 19, 2015 6:51 pm
(@Wolfy)
Topic starter

Thank bluehdmc. When it comes time to upgrade clutch I will make that move or at the very least discuss it with my mechanic.

Posted : September 20, 2015 1:54 pm
(@sebjones)

All of the suggestions are good ones, however I didn't do any one them. On my 1997 flhtcui I added a Motorvation Spyder. It has a stock 80 ci engine and a stock clutch. Yes it is a little light for the bike, a little heavy in the steering and a bit slow. But with the ballast of the passenger it handles well and I can ride in the fast lane and keep up with traffic. Is it perfect ... no, but it is safe, fun and works fine. If you wait for perfect you won't ever do anything.

Posted : September 20, 2015 5:30 pm
(@moonlite)

striving for perfection beats the hell out of settling for mediocrity!!

Posted : September 21, 2015 6:45 am