Notifications
Clear all

Triumph T 100 Mated to a Watsonian Sidecar

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

Hi folks, looking for opinions on a 2022 (but still new at dealer) T 100 Bonneville being mated to a Watsonian sidecar.   Dealer ordered the sidecar for a customer but the customer backed out due to covid complications.   Sidecar is not yet finished mating to bike but in the process otherwise I'd pro a vly step it up to the T200 (900 cc for the T100 vs 1200cc T200 configuration).  Currently riding a 750, 2020 Ural GU which is great on backroads and farm dirt roads but not so great on the highway as I try to stay around the 60 mph speed range.   Horsepower wise it's a 21 Horsepower jump and total weight would be approximately 700ish lbs vs. the Urals 800 lb weight.   Wondering if anyone out there has done this combination and if highway speeds of 65 to 70 to stay out of the way of faster traffic is doable.   I've been piloting now for 3 years so fairly comfortable on a side car u n it at higher speeds as my Ural is rock steady at 60 mph.   Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.   I was all set to purchase a t200 and figure out how to get to Texas cor a side car marriage when this possibility presented itself.   Thanks

Posted : March 3, 2024 2:34 am
(@miles-ladue)

Walter, from what I have read regarding other owners and their T100/900cc Triumph sidecar rigs, that bike/engine has adequate power to get you down the highway at highway speeds, and is not lacking for power at all. Sure the T120/1200cc engine would be better....but if the chance is there to get one already put together (will be soon), then jump at it.

My only question for you is....WHO is putting this rig together?  What dealership, shop, person...meaning do they actually have experience, and know what the heck they are doing, or is this an unusual thing for their shop???

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : March 3, 2024 4:58 am
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

FM, it's located currently at the Triumph dealer here so the jury is still out on whether they know what they are doing or not.   I'll have to factor that into my decision before I sell/trade my 2020 Ural GU.  But good to know that the t100 is up to the task.   I've always been a smaller bike fan, so I think I'd be quite happy with that choice.  I'm going to have to read up on the geometry that Kent Silk at Texas Sidecar provided at the Hotchkiss rally a few years past.   And of course, I'll need to get a final cost before making a change, but will let you folks know if I go ahead with the change.   I ll certainly write up a review once I get some miles on her.   My main reason for looking at a change is I've decided to give up off road riding now as the last 400 mile Missouri Adventure Palooza I rode in September 23, on gravel and farm roads, just wasn't that much fun anymore, so not planning on doing that any longer to my 73 year young body.  Ha!   Thanks so much for the reply and info.    Walt E

Posted : March 3, 2024 7:48 am
(@ned)

Walter, if you're a member of the USCA, take a look at the Member Directory to see if there are any members near you.  I think there are nearly 100 members in Missouri.  (Don't know how many in Greater St. Louis.) One of the more experienced might be willing to visit the Triumph dealer with you to take a look. My guess is that if the dealer is trying to do the install using the T100 fitting kit from Watsonian then it should be OK.  All you'd have to do after trailering it home is loosen then re-torque every nut and bolt the dealer touched, then get your straightedges and levels and set your lean-out and toe-in.

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : March 3, 2024 7:00 pm
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

Drone, thanks for the suggestion.   Yes I'm a member and excellent suggestion.  I'll start looking through the membership.   As for retorquing everything behind the dealer, ha, I'm so used to that after 3 years with a Ural.   And I already have the straight edge pieces for checking toe in/out as I did a baseline when I first bought the Ural and check every once in awhile just to monitor.  So far, everything has stayed in spec as far as I can see and riding bares out my assumptions.  If I end up moving to the Triumph rig, I certainly won't be concerned about selling my rig to a new Ural rider.   I started riding motorcycles when I retired at 57, never rode one before, but found that if I usually buy usually trade out a bike every 3 years.   Since there is a plethora of used bikes on the market, it's been a cost effective way to catch up with life long riders with vastly more experiences with bike models.   Ha!   Seems it costs me around 3 grand a year so after 3 years, I resell the bike for residual value and try something new, gently used.     Since Im not taking the huge new ride off the lot depreciation, it works out about the same as my budgeted retirement golf spending.  Ha!   I found out real quick I'm not a golfer.    So this Triumph will be a deviation from my retirement formula, so we will see if it works out.     

Thanks for the direction. Walt E. 

Posted : March 4, 2024 2:09 am
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

Drone, I have egg on my face as I mistakenly cited I was a member but looked at my membership and it seems I failed to at some point to renew it.  OMG, I am a freeloader.   🤥.  I've immediately rectified my inattention to payimg my dues and hopefully once myPayPal account notifies USCA of my payment, will be a member again in good standing.   I'm not sure how it slipped by me, but back again as a qualified member.   Thanks for the previous direction and the kick in the butt to get my membership status corrected. 👍👍

Posted : March 4, 2024 3:13 am