Advice Needed Velor...

Notifications
Clear all

Advice Needed Velorex 563

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Hey everybody, I recently purchased a 2009 Velorex 563 for a VTX1800R. I had understood that the sidecar was meant for larger bikes and learned after buying that the VTX was in fact too large and powerful. I am now considering downsizing to either a 2008 VN900 or V Star 1100. I am being told that these are better choices but still too large for the sidecar and that reinforcing the chassis would still be necessary. The company that is recommending this seems to be in the know, but I also have read many negative posts about them as well. At first they said that they strongly advised against the VTX/563 combo and that they would not even sell mounting hardware for it, then they turned around and said that they would if I bought the reinforcing kit. OK, I can understand the VTX being a bit hefty and powerful at this point. I am now considering the V Star 1100 or VN900 and they still say that I need to get the reinforcement kit. Both of these bikes weigh approximately 150 pounds less than the VTX with about half the power. Are they just trying to make an extra buck at this point or do I need to go with an even smaller bike? Please help me out here as I am at wits end and just about ready to throw in the towel. 🙁

Posted : November 23, 2009 4:57 pm
(@boxermike)

The horsepower of the bike doesn't really have anything to do with it, IMHO. But, the weight of the bike+rider does have a significant factor to play in the choice of the sidecar. I am not personally familiar with the details of Velorex construction, but I am sure that there will be some folks here who can help you .. What I do know about the Velorex cars was that the earlier models had small, 15mm axles and light frames and were really not intended to go on 600+ pound bikes. I know that the later models are beefier, but as I mentioned, I don't know the details well enough to advise you.

Posted : November 23, 2009 6:31 pm
(@Anonymous)

Yes, he said that the Velorex sidecars were built for bikes in the 350cc range, but as I understand, that is true only for the 562 and 560 models. The reason I bought the 563 was becasue it was supposedly intended for larger bikes as it has a heavier chassis and larger axle. Man, I hope the end result is worth the hassle.

Posted : November 24, 2009 2:50 am
(@Hack__n)

Hops,
Take a look at my avatar photo and you will see my 2008 Harley FXDL/563 combo. Curb weight is about 700# with accessories.
If you look at my albums here "Hack'ns Hacks" et al you will see some of the possible Velorex combos.
Some of these rigs have sub-framing brackets to ease sidecar installation but none have had to have "frame reinforcement".

Lonnie
Northwest Sdecars
Longtime Velorex dealer/installer

Posted : November 24, 2009 5:17 am
(@gpers2)

Hi Hops:
I ran a "beefed up" 562 on my vtx1300 for 40,000+ miles. The Velorex has since been sold. Here it is on a 650 - a much better match. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/USCAWest/
In addition to the beefing up, these are things I had to do to the Vel, and I believe they are a result of too much bike for the rig. Twice replace the front top universal mounting strut as it started to crack in the threads. We finally just manufactured a different mounting strut. Next, the frame under the body broke, that was repaired and a plate of mill steel was affixed to the frame. I don't know if the 563 uses the same frame as the 562. I also always ran with 80 to 100 lbs of ballast, and practiced a lot of hanging off to keep the wheels down. 🙂 ... I am not bad mouthing the Velorex - I've had a lot of fun miles with mine, - also a lot of tweaking - but if you are going to ask it to do more than it was designed to do, then you are wise to check in with Lonnie, and Claude for some suggested upgrades/reinforcing. .. Weight ratio is a very important consideration. ,,, My first bike was a yamaha Virago 535 - the Velorex went well with that, but I couldn't get over 60 going up steep hills. 🙂
Would I go the Velorex with the vtx1300 again? No 🙂

I hope you have had a chance to avail yourself of the free info at this site http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp
For additional information, You may wish to visit this site for driving info: http://www.cyclesidecar.com/Guides/training.html and also locate a recent edition of Driving a Sidecar Outfit (Whitehorse press).

Good luck, have fun, and drive safe.
gp
🙂

Posted : November 24, 2009 6:17 am
(@Hack__n)

The 563 Tour, 700 Tour and 565 Tour Velorexes have a different frame, suspension, wheel and tire than the obsolete 562 Standard or 562E. The classic body style of the 563T remains the same as the 562S but many upgrades have occurred through the years.
Regardless of sturdiness, due to size alone they still aren't a match for the large touring bikes or some of the heavyweight cruisers even if a lot of ballast is added.

Lonnie

Posted : November 24, 2009 7:47 am
(@Anonymous)

That leaves me a bit confused as you have a 563 mounted to your Dyna, and the Dyna weighs more than the V Star.

Posted : November 24, 2009 7:56 am
(@gpers2)

Thank you Lonnie.
I wish they had made the 565 when I got into sidecaring. I think that is a little cutie and I like the flip opening.
Cute as it is though, I would heed your advise and NOT put it on a big cruiser..
Thanks again for setting us straight on the more recent models and differences. In future, I shall keep my "dinosaur days" experiences to myself. (maybe :-))
gp

Posted : November 24, 2009 7:59 am
(@Hack__n)

This is my second late model Low Rider that I have joined with a 563 Tour.
Both have been steel ballasted below the frame and have toured the US and Canada with no problems.
The earlier one (100th Anniversary model) was a carbureted 5 speed that ended up totaled against a pine tree due to a front tire blowout and ensuing broken mag wheel (over $19K damage).
BTW: The 563T ended up with only a bent upper strut and elongated body mount holes which were easily repaired.

Honda Valkyrie, VTX1800, Yamaha Venture Royale, Road Star, Midnight Venture, Suzuki 1800's, Kawasaki 1600 Nomad and Kawasaki 2000 models are some of the heavyweights I was referring to.

Lonnie

Posted : November 24, 2009 8:50 am
(@Anonymous)

Hi Lonnie, still lookin to buy that 563. How much ballast did you add?

Thanks Terry

Posted : April 4, 2010 7:08 am
(@Hack__n)

Terry,
Around 100# of 3" steel rod stock mounted low and to the rear of the sidecar frame. Mounted solid but easily removable if one wishes. This is the third Velorex Tour model that I have used the same ballast method on. 563, 565,and 563.

Lonnie

Posted : April 4, 2010 7:49 am
(@Anonymous)

Lonnie, so that brings the sidecar weight to?

Terry

Posted : April 4, 2010 8:20 am
(@Anonymous)

I know that if he want's to change brand of side car there are many out there that would match well with the VTX 1800. Hannigan makes a fairly sturdy sidecar. My side car weigh 200lbs on its own. I own a conte. I am a complete noobe but I think the velorex is a much lighter unit. I don't run any counterweight with mine as it seems to be heavey enough on it's own.

Posted : April 4, 2010 10:16 am
(@Hack__n)

Terry,
Sidecar is around 280# with ballast added.

L.

Posted : April 4, 2010 3:22 pm
(@Hack__n)

We've never matched a 563T with the VTX1800's. They're in the same weight class as a late Harley Dresser and we don't put them on them either.
We have mounted wider stance units with larger frames like the M72's, URALS, CJ Classic, and Dnepr, mostly heavy steel cars, and the Kenna's.
A bare 563T weighs around 180#.

Lonnie

Posted : April 4, 2010 3:39 pm