Notifications
Clear all

Adding a sidecar to a 2023 T120 Bonnevile

8 Posts
4 Users
22 Reactions
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

Hi folks.   Been some time since posting as I almost gave up riding 6 months ago when I sold mu Ural GU.   Found I was miserable without a rig in my garage, so decided to buy a 2023 T 120 Bonneville and add a sidecar to it.     As I'm in the process of accepting a quote to build a Watsonian Grand Prix, I started thinking of what tires I would need to upgrade to and find there are not many choices for a sidecr rig in the 150/70/17 rear wheel size.   I can find front tires in the 18 inch wheel size tire for the front, but notingb for the rear.   Which means I will be forced to keep using a motorcycle style tire on the rear.   I did find a Bridgestone 160/70/70 that looks flatter than a normal rounded motorcycle tire, but thats the closest  I can find.   Have I made a mistake with picking out a triumph with a rear tire size that I can't put the proper sidecar tire as a pusher on it?   

Posted : July 4, 2024 8:36 pm
sheath and FlyingMonkeys reacted
(@miles-ladue)

Walter, you have not made a mistake in choosing the bike that you did. That Triumph with a Watsonian Grand Prix will be great, and.... it's what you want.

The tire you seek IS available !!!!!

That very subject has been explored, researched, and results found.....over on ADVRider in the hacks forums.

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : July 4, 2024 9:06 pm
Brstr and sheath reacted
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Walter, the issue is likely that the tire you would like is made, but with current production bottlenecks and other supply chain problems, it is not available for purchase due to limited production.  When you do find one, perhaps buy more than one and keep the spare under climate control for use later?

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : July 4, 2024 9:43 pm
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

@miles-ladue Thanks for the info.  I'd forgotten completely about the hack section in the adv riders forum.   Also thanks for calming my rising panic that I just made a huge financial mistake committing to a Watsonian build.   I think it's a great addition to the bonneville and I really miss my Ural sidecar rig.   Should have never sold it.   Lessons learned.

Posted : July 4, 2024 11:25 pm
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

I would venture to encourage everyone here that if the Uralistas of Havana can keep their mid 60s Urals running using ingenuity without money, we can probably figure out how to keep/get ours running with money and ingenuity!

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : July 5, 2024 9:03 am
(@scott-h)

T120 and a Grand Prix, that is going to be a stunning combo! 

What color(s)? 

Will look forward to a "build thread". 👍

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : July 5, 2024 9:21 am
(@walter-eschmann)
Topic starter

Update.....ha!   You folks will get tired of hearing about my build schedule........I just sent off my down payment and have a lead time of 5 to 6 months.   I'm going to put my faith and trust in Texas Side Cars to build and install.   In the mean time, I have 3 months to prep the Bonnie by removing all the farkles I've already put on the bike, including my windshield(s) ( I have the brackets for a Malstad and a Unit Garage shield) on the bike, Denali lights, Garmin, forward pegs.......well you get the idea, to remove.   I also expect to change out the front Michelin ture to a Heideneau K 28, and a Shinko SE 890.   I've looked high and low and haven't found any sidecar pusher tires for a 17 inch rim so next best guess will be the Shinko.    If anything like my past Ural, I'll only get maybe 3000 miles on it but that's the way it is.   Thought I had a line on a Continental 150/70/17 or so car tire but received back an out of stock notice, so no go.   Will be anticipating showing off my new toy probably just before Christmas.   

Posted : July 6, 2024 7:57 pm
(@miles-ladue)

Walter....you know.....you could ride the  Triumph, as is, to the Flint Hills  Sidecar Rally in  Council Grove,  Kansas.....September  5 - 8....so that you could visit  with  ALL of us, and ALL of us can visit  with  YOU. 

There will be 50+ Sidecar rigs  there, and 10+ two wheeled motorcycles  yearning  to be sidecar rigs, so join the fun. 

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : July 6, 2024 8:12 pm
sheath, SwampFox and Brstr reacted