2016 USCA Rigs In T...

Notifications
Clear all

2016 USCA Rigs In The Rockies Rally

188 Posts
30 Users
0 Likes
(@Ken-Quast)

Hi everyone, Ken Quast here a new member of the USCA. I will be going to the rally this summer a first for me. My dog Dude will also be coming along. I am not sure if I am riding or trailering the rig at this point. It will be my first major road trip if I ride. I bought the rig 1.5 years ago. A 1989 Harley Ultra Classic Tour Glide with a friendship 1 sidecar. I have gone through the bike at this point in time and it is running good. I basically rebuilt it. I am presently updating the brake lights and turn signals with LED's. I will add headlights on the side car also before the trip. I have also done some upgrades to the sidecar to make it safer for my dog "Dude" he loves to ride !!!! I am in the Chicago west suburb's, if any one is traveling through this area on the way to the rally it would be great to caravan. I also have a fairly well equipped shop if any help is needed on any one's rig. You can go to my website www.kenquastmodelmakers.com all my contact info is there just in case here's my e-mail: kenquast@kenquastmodelmakers.com

Posted : May 3, 2016 4:26 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
wpf_Moderator

With the Rally only two months away, better be plotting my scenic route there and back. Anyone else in the Houston area going?

Posted : May 9, 2016 12:57 pm
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

Just a quick note and rally tip;
We have been still receiving quite a bit of snow in the mountains so the high passes will have a good bit of snow on them when rally time rolls around so be careful riding and remember to bring some warm riding gear. Just because it is July it will still be quite chilly on the mountains. Here is a picture looking East toward McClure pass from about 20 miles East of Hotchkiss on Sunday.

Posted : May 11, 2016 9:05 am
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

A few tips for those planning your routes to the rally.
If you are coming from the East the best route from Denver is I70 to Glenwood Springs. From Glenwood Springs head East on CO 82 towards Aspen and when you get to Carbondale, about 13 miles from I70, you will head West on CO 133 about 70 miles to Hotchkiss. Once you leave Carbondale this is a narrow 2 lane highway and McClure Pass has some steep grades and tight turns so it is not recommended for large class A type motorhomes. For those Interstate highway haters like myself I 70 from Denver to Grand Junction is a very nice drive that should be experienced if you have never done it. For those with bigger rigs, RVs not sidecars, I would recommend continuing on I70 to Clifton and take the Business Route 70/ US 50 exit at Clifton. From here head South and follow the signs for US 50 to Delta. At Delta turn East on CO 92 and it is 20 miles to Hotchkiss.

If you are coming in from the West your best bet is catch US Route 50 at Grand Junction and go South to Delta where you will turn West on CO 92 and it will be 20 miles to Hotchkiss from there. When you hit the West side of Grand Junction there is an exit for Business Route 70/ US 50 but The West exit will take you through downtown Grand Junction and is a lot longer time wise and only a few miles shorter distance wise.

If you are coming in from the North or South let me know where you are coming from and I can help with routing if you need it.

As with all mountain roads in Colorado be very cautious of rocks on the road, especially when in canyons or when you have a steep bank beside you. Frost heaves in the road are another common occurrence that will not be kind to your rig.

Posted : May 11, 2016 9:31 am
(@Khjphoto)

For those coming from the East I would also commend Phantom Canyon. Nice little ride and not out of your way much. I recon I'll RON at Cripple Creek do Phantom Canyoun AM and blast up to Paonia for the night. Hope everyone has a safe and fun ride. See y on Saturday

PS: Dana, hope you have a map to the wineries, or plan on a tour. 🙂

PPS: Nice thiing about three wheels have some wine....you won't fall over!

Posted : May 11, 2016 10:43 am
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

Be aware that the Phantom Canyon Road is a one or two lane dirt road that was built on an 1800s railroad grade and is a good 300 mile detour from Denver to Hotchkiss. One of my favorites but I do not get down that way too often any more. http://www.colorado.com/articles/colorado-hidden-gem-phantom-canyon-road

We will not be doing an official Winery tour since drinking and hacking are not a wise idea up here in the mountains, if anywhere. Disclaimer aside there are several wineries in and around Hotchkiss and plenty more within an easy ride. There will be a map of the wineries on the map wall at Heritage Hall.

Posted : May 11, 2016 11:06 am
(@Khjphoto)

I have done Phantom before - great putt. And looking forward to Cripple Creek for a fine steak.
Heck, I'd leave today and wind my way around all the tornados...then dig out the snow at Monarch.
Guess I better wait. Maybe it will be better in a couple of months

Oh by the way, first time I did Phanton it was in my Sprinter based RV!

Posted : May 11, 2016 11:16 am
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

Yep, Phantom Canyon Road is nice as is the whole Gold Belt Tour. I much prefer Victor to Cripple Creek especially since they got gambling in Cripple Creek.

Posted : May 11, 2016 11:22 am
(@Khjphoto)

So in Victor, any recommendations for motels and fine eats?

Posted : May 11, 2016 12:02 pm
(@Bob-Herman)

Last I knew there was a great restored victorian era hotel in Victor, and it was not expensive. Maybe Dana knows if it's still open. Victor Hotel, I think it's called.

Also, an alternative to Phantom Canyon Road for adventurous people not afraid of narrow, winding roads and heights is Shelf Road, from Canon City up to Cripple Creek.

Posted : May 11, 2016 12:18 pm
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

Yep, Victor Hotel is a nice place and I think you can still stay in the old brothel above the Fortune Club.

Posted : May 11, 2016 12:32 pm
(@Khjphoto)

Hmmmm, "old brothel". Now there is a different ride! Do they have newer stock?
Sorry couldn't help it.

Thanks for the info.

YIKES. Dana, you didn't say it was haunted! Made resos, should I book a room for a priest too?

Posted : May 11, 2016 1:56 pm
(@don)

Bob Herman, I remember driving the Canon City to Cripple Creek road through small tunnels and crossing bridges made out of logs back in the early '70s driving a Chevelle Malibu loaded with four kids in the back seat and a trunk full of camping gear. The underside of the car rolled over the rocks as if they were oversized ball bearings. Has that road been paved?

Posted : May 12, 2016 4:37 am
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

Don, not Bob but that sounds like Phantom Canyon Road with the old railroad trestles and tunnels instead of the Shelf Road.

Dana

Posted : May 12, 2016 12:10 pm
(@dirtydr)
Topic starter

I took a little ride over to Crawford for lunch yesterday and grabbed a few pictures to whet your appetites.

This is just up the road from my house in Hotchkiss.

Community center in Crawford.

View from Crawford Reservoir.

Posted : May 16, 2016 6:34 am
Page 6 / 13