Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

parking brake?

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Advice sought...have purchased my 1st sidecar unit interstate where a parking brake was not a registration requirement, home State requires one however info from manufacturer DJP Sidecars is brake not supplied as aftermarket item, fitted only at time of purchase. Advice gratefully accepted.
Regards Carey

Posted : September 6, 2007 2:50 am
(@Anonymous)

I really can't help ya with the installed parking brake issue but I WILL tell ya that I've had a parking situations where I need a parking brake. What I've done is get some of that "cut to length" Velcro and cut a piece long enough to wrap around my front brake lever and grip twice. Now when I'm parked on an incline I grab the front brake and tightly wrap the Velcro around it, keeping the brake engaged.

I know this probably won't work if your State laws require a fixed hand brake but ya never know.

Oh-h-h, I keep the Velcro wrapped loosely around my handlebar when not in use.

o~o

Posted : September 6, 2007 5:16 am
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for the tip Sheldon, annoying isn't it where States have different requirements. Handy idea in the short term but apparently the specs call for a system that works independantly of the main braking system. Regards Carey Johnson

Posted : September 6, 2007 12:49 pm
(@Anonymous)

I just use wheel chocks. Whill that satisfy the state's requirement?

Posted : September 6, 2007 1:46 pm
(@Anonymous)

A few weeks ago, returning from Alaska we took the ferry. The guy directing us as we loaded suggested a similar idea, just wrap a bungie around the front brake lever.

Worked perfectly, simple and cheap.

Originally written by Texan on 9/6/2007 8:16 AM

I really can't help ya with the installed parking brake issue but I WILL tell ya that I've had a parking situations where I need a parking brake. What I've done is get some of that "cut to length" Velcro and cut a piece long enough to wrap around my front brake lever and grip twice. Now when I'm parked on an incline I grab the front brake and tightly wrap the Velcro around it, keeping the brake engaged.

I know this probably won't work if your State laws require a fixed hand brake but ya never know.

Oh-h-h, I keep the Velcro wrapped loosely around my handlebar when not in use.

o~o

Posted : September 6, 2007 6:16 pm
(@Anonymous)

Originally written by gregbenner on 9/6/2007 11:16 PM
A few weeks ago, returning from Alaska we took the ferry. The guy directing us as we loaded suggested a similar idea, just wrap a bungie around the front brake lever. Worked perfectly, simple and cheap.

The stuff I use I picked up at a camping/backpacking place. It comes in 48" rolls and is 3/4" wide. Think it was somewhere around $6.00. Measured it tonight and it's 12" long and goes around twice. Works great and I guarantee you it will not slip...no way..!!!

o~o

Posted : September 6, 2007 7:17 pm
(@Anonymous)

If you want to use your hydraulics's you can get what is basically a shut off valve from a heavy equip. place, they mount on a flat service and have a ball leaver that you flip while pushing the brake, locks off the fluid return and keeps the brake engaged, fork lifts use them a lot.

Posted : September 6, 2007 10:55 pm
(@Anonymous)

the simplest ideas are usually the best Sticks, shame the local motor registry hasn't a sense of humour
best regards

Posted : September 7, 2007 12:16 am
(@gpers2)

Would something like this work for you?
http://tinyurl.com/yv2mak
It came up on another forum - have no personal knowledge of the product.
Best of luck,
gp

Posted : September 7, 2007 5:39 am
(@Hack__n)

Carey,
A hydraulic "Mico" valve can be inserted into the system. Used to lock the brakes on unattended industrial vehicles.
Probably a similar hydraulic lock would be a "Line lock" used in drag racing applications to keep the car on the line without rolling into the lights, whereas one pushes the affected brake pedal or lever holding down on a button. Perhaps this could be adapted to work on the bike with a toggle switch.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Posted : September 7, 2007 9:31 am
(@Anonymous)

Hey Carey,

It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for! I also use velcro on the hand brake, we have some pretty steep hills in Pittsburgh, so I also carry a small rubber chock.....the chock should surely should qualify as "independent"...even Down-Under.

Posted : September 8, 2007 3:34 am
(@Anonymous)

This looks pretty cool, wonder hard difficult to install?

QUOTE]Originally written by gpers2 on 9/7/2007 8:39 AM

Would something like this work for you?
http://tinyurl.com/yv2mak
It came up on another forum - have no personal knowledge of the product.
Best of luck,
gp

Posted : September 8, 2007 3:02 pm
(@peter-pan)

Front wheel doesn't help much alone here in these steep mountains. I think of a whedge to block the foot break (Back and SC)
Sven Peter Pan

Posted : September 8, 2007 3:43 pm
(@bob-madigan)

some of the "Wing" accessory guys sell a small phenolic wedge that will slip in the front brake handle between the "paddle" for the brake light and the handle housing. I've made similar for other bikes. I've also been able to drill a hole in the brake mount and handle with the brake applied and used a pin (like a fire extingusher safety pin) with a "remove before flight" streamer. Rubber "O" rings and velcro have all worked just as well. I'd check with the approving authority as to just what is acceptable to them. I don't think any state here in the U.S. requires a parking brake on a rig but I could be wrong. Your inspector may be wrong as well.

Posted : September 9, 2007 2:32 am