Notifications
Clear all

Lug Bolt

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cabin2014)
Topic starter

I have a Champion Daytona 2+2. I broke a lug bolt. Pulled the hub assembly and removed the rotor. The back of the lug bolt is an allen head. Does anyone know if it is actually threaded into the hub or is it pressed in ?? Also any idea where I can locate a replacement ?? I've tried Texas Sidecars, but no one answers the phone. I left messages and no one returns calls. I have also texted them. I tried to contact So Cal Trike and Sidecar same deal ... Any help would be appreciated. TIA, Wayne Shunamon

Posted : March 30, 2023 10:35 am
(@sidewise)

Have you tried NAPA?

Posted : March 30, 2023 12:31 pm
(@ned)

I own a Daytona 2+2 but that doesn't help at all, does it?  I'll say this though -- I think a pressed in wheel stud is unlikely primarily because it has that hex socket head on it.  I'll bet that the bolt/stud is threaded in from behind with RED locktite.   I doubt that Champion would use blue locktite because high temps from the brake rotor might bleed over into the hub and loosen.

With red locktite, to get that thing out, you need to heat it up to 500° F.  A heat gun won't do it.  I'd use a propane torch.  Try to avoid overheating.

An infrared non-contact thermometer is a handy tool if you don't have one already.  For example --

www.amazon.com/dp/B07VTPJXH9/

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : March 30, 2023 12:40 pm
(@cabin2014)
Topic starter

Quote from Sidewise on March 30, 2023, 5:31 pm

Have you tried NAPA?

not sure what the bolt looks like all the way so I need to remove it first ...

Posted : March 30, 2023 1:09 pm
(@ned)

As for finding a replacement, you need to measure the studs to determine the length of the shaft and diameter and thread pitch.  Once you have that, then examine the head for markings that will tell you what grade of steel you need.  If not sure how to measure the thread pitch, take one of your lug nuts to a hardware store and find a bolt that fits.  Once you have the specs then you can go online and search for a "Socket Head Cap Screw."  That's assuming your bolt/stud looks something like this --

Posted : March 31, 2023 7:21 am
(@ned)

And, by the way, how did you break it in the first place?  If it's a really good story it'll liven up this thread! 

Everybody likes to hear about some other guy's bad luck!

Posted : March 31, 2023 7:27 am
(@big-bike-rick)

I would heat it up like Drone says, then try an impact tool on it. I have a tool that you hit the back of it with a hammer, and it spins out the bolt. It has a 1/2" drive, so you can put different sockets/ hex sockets on it.

Good Luck

Rick

Posted : March 31, 2023 8:22 am
(@aceinsav)

I was going to suggest giving Fl Sidecars a try but it seems the site is down. he has a lot of odds and ends parts 

Posted : March 31, 2023 9:15 am
(@dirtydr)

Here is an online parts manual for the Daytona 2+2;

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Champion-Sidecars-Daytona-2Plus2-3155405.html

Posted : April 1, 2023 2:52 pm
(@reardan-tom)

If you have an outlet such as here in Spokane- Fasteners Inc. it will be much easier and cheaper to locate than any dealer. There is another common source of such things but darned if I can bring it to mind right now. Good luck!!! I'm back... Grainger Industrial Supply is the place that I couldn't think of. Guarantee they'll have it and for a reasonable price.

Posted : April 2, 2023 6:11 am
(@ned)

Quote from DirtyDR on April 1, 2023, 7:52 pm

Here is an online parts manual for the Daytona 2+2;

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Champion-Sidecars-Daytona-2Plus2-3155405.html

There ya go, then!  The lug studs are 1/2 x 20.  Now all you need is the length.

McMaster-Carr carries them in lengths from 1/2" to 3".  Link to product page --

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screws/thread-size~1-2-20/threading~fully-threaded/material~steel/

Posted : April 2, 2023 7:57 am