Notifications
Clear all

Leading link for BMW R75/5

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@terry-weller)
Topic starter

I have a '71 R75/5 with a Dnepr sidecar.  Having a great time but now is the time to consider a leading link.  Is there something out there that can "bolt on" without a great deal of difficulty?  Advice or direction greatly appreciated.  The unit was put together by Tom O'Leary in the Belleviile area of Ontario, Canada but it does not appear he is in business anymore.   If someone knows of an installer/wrench in Ontario please let me know.  I checked with Old Vintage Cranks in Acton, Ontario who is a Ural dealer but the boss was not around so will need to try again when I return from vacation.

Posted : August 24, 2019 12:21 pm
(@jaydmc)

This should be posted in the technical section on the site.

Old Vintage Cranks we have worked with many times. They know their stuff. Some people have adapted /2 links. We have never made links for the /5 only mounts.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

Posted : August 26, 2019 5:30 am
(@francois-doremieux)

Quote from Terry Weller on August 24, 2019, 5:21 pm

I have a '71 R75/5 with a Dnepr sidecar.  Having a great time but now is the time to consider a leading link.  Is there something out there that can "bolt on" without a great deal of difficulty?  Advice or direction greatly appreciated.  The unit was put together by Tom O'Leary in the Belleviile area of Ontario, Canada but it does not appear he is in business anymore.   If someone knows of an installer/wrench in Ontario please let me know.  I checked with Old Vintage Cranks in Acton, Ontario who is a Ural dealer but the boss was not around so will need to try again when I return from vacation.

Hi Terry,

Very similar setup here. '72 R75/5 with a vintage unknown Ural side. Subframe on bike but no mods on the forks (I am in process of adding a reinforced plate at least). Would love leading links but don't want to spend more than the cost of the bike 😉

Did you end up finding what you were looking for? What mods did you make?

Thank you
Francois

Posted : August 5, 2020 5:31 am
(@Gecker)

Quote from Francois Doremieux on August 5, 2020, 10:31 am
Quote from Terry Weller on August 24, 2019, 5:21 pm

Hi Terry,

Very similar setup here. '72 R75/5 with a vintage unknown Ural side. Subframe on bike but no mods on the forks (I am in process of adding a reinforced plate at least). Would love leading links but don't want to spend more than the cost of the bike 😉

Did you end up finding what you were looking for? What mods did you make?

Thank you
Francois

Great looking sidecar! The leading links sound like good addition only if not that expensive. After we finished installing the shocks and all atv accessories on the TRX, we'll start our new sidecar project. Your design looks great.

Posted : October 22, 2020 7:53 pm
(@al-olme2)

One our old timers, Bob Zinda, now deceased, adapted a set of BMW /2 Earles forks to his  /5 bike.  Bob was an above average wrench but not a full on engineer.  I'd look into the comparative measurements of the two bikes to see if something as simple as a bearing change could make them work.  Old /2 donor bikes are getting harder to find but they are still out there.

Posted : October 23, 2020 5:27 am