Skip to content
First thoughts obse...

Notifications
Clear all

First thoughts observations as i Wing it through life.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Well my new baby is home, delivered safe and sound. A shout out to Mercury Transport who agreed a great price and delivered in under a week.
I figured out i can mount the Wing in safety by using the back seat/rear footrest not ideal but that will get better as my mobility/range of movement gets better.
Gently round the block for the moment but i have noticed that its easy to open the throttle and the Wing tries to go round the sidecar. Lots to figure out, there is i believe a leveling device fitted as well as triple trees. Steering feels pretty heavy although  that likely has more to do with my low speed than anything else.

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 13, 2024 12:46 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Steve, with your new baby in the house, bring her up nice and easy is a smart move.

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/ is a good place for ideas, maintenance tips and shopping sources.

Posted : January 13, 2024 3:41 am
(@miles-ladue)

Steve, whilst the  El Presidente' of our USCA group here would refer you to the above linked website for Goldwing knowledge, I would suggest you continue talking to me either in e-mails, or here on the forums, as I have quite a bit of experience with these bikes, based on more mileage on them than all the miles that a Barrel full of Monkeys would have ridden.

Suggestion, check those tire pressures first and foremost. Most specifically that front tire on the bike. With that sidecar rig, that front tire should be at 40 psi....despite what anyone else on this planet tells you, run it at 40 psi. Pressures will differ on Mars and Venus.

If the bike's rear tire is a motorcycle tire, run it at 42 psi...but if it is a Car Tire, which eventually (in the long run) you will go to using a Car Tire on the rear wheel of the bike, then run that Car Tire at 35 psi.

On that specific sidecar...run that sidecar tire at 30 psi.

Front: 40 psi..............Rear: 42 for motorcycle tire.....35 for car Tire...............sidecar: 30 psi.................and I will come around and check your air pressures in the middle of the night.

On that ECC, the electric camber control, to level out the entire sidecar rig (bike and sidecar), start out by initially setting that so that the entire rig is LEVEL, when you are on a level surface. If you have a place inside your garage, or in your paved driveway, and you can confirm it is relatively level....adjust that toggle switch (that should be located in the area of the left handelbar) so that the bike/sidecar is level....then forget about it until you are much more comfortable riding/driving that sidecar rig. 

This is not your olde Norton Atlas sidecar rig, as there are no Lucas wiring (Prince of darkness) on this bike.

Did you find or locate that rattle noise ??? Does it have a belly pan under the engine ?

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : January 13, 2024 5:14 am
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Morning Oracle et al

I will share on the forums as the knowledge is then useful to all. I am of course working on the assumption that the members here actually take notice of your wisdom both innate and learned. I have already joined Docs.

Nothing else done on the bike at the moment too bloody cold but big grin still evident.

I will put tire pressures at the top of my list BEFORE i make any attempt to see how level the rig is, i assume side to side. The belly pan will follow for sure there is a loose piece of metal under there.

Should you choose to visit in the middle of the night, coffee will be provided, Gevalia French Roast of course, only the good stuff =) Or i may simply raise two fingers to the sky =)

Am i correct in thinking that using a heel and toe shifter means that my legs would be spread further apart?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice. Look forward to meeting a few of you at some stage =)

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 13, 2024 5:46 am
(@scott-h)

Congratulations on getting her home! 

Worth writing again... What a good looking rig!

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : January 13, 2024 6:33 am
(@miles-ladue)

Quote from Steve Ives on January 13, 2024, 10:46 am

Morning Oracle et al

Should you choose to visit in the middle of the night, coffee will be provided, Gevalia French Roast of course, only the good stuff =) Or i may simply raise two fingers to the sky =)

Am i correct in thinking that using a heel and toe shifter means that my legs would be spread further apart?

Steve, ye olde bloody wanker from olde England, this Yank doesn't drink coffee. However, a good cuppa hot tea is always a welcome sight.

As for the heel/toe shifter, it reall takes up the same width on the bike as the OEM shifter, or very close to it, so if your legs were needed to be spread wider, it may be a matter of 25.4mm up to 50.8mm.

Given that you initial concern for the shifter was that it was too short, or was it too far away from your boot? A different fix would be to buy a heel/toe shifter.....do NOT install the necessary floorboards, just use the OEM footpegs, and then before installing the new heel/toe shifter...cut off the heel part of that piece, so you end up with a longer toe shifter.

In time, or tyme, or thyme, we will get it straightened out for ye

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : January 13, 2024 6:58 am
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Just as well American coffee is crap!!  As for the heel and toe its more a case of its awkward to hook my toe under the shifter to go up from first.

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 13, 2024 8:12 am
 MGV8
(@mgv8)

Sorry been away,, Dakar was on and that is all I have time for.. Congrats on the beauty of a rig..  Listen to FM, I hate to admit but he knows.  As far as the rig. Get on and ride it. Spend a bit of time after a bit of time in the saddle all the funky Chicken things it does will fade into the distance and you won't even notice. Muscle memory will take over.. That's all I'll say cause that's all I know. 

Congrats again 

Posted : January 20, 2024 2:39 pm
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Hay MGV8

Your right of course get on it and ride the wheels off it. Not going to be possible for a week or so i have just had some tumors removed from my liver by a robot, thanks Leonardo =) the way tech has moved on is staggering! So resting at home right now. I still have a steering lock to wrestle with but i thinking  after liberal use of WD40 if i lift the front wheel off the grass that will relive any pressure. Ankle movement has always been restrictive from birth so its always been find a way and get it done! Big silly grin still in place this whole experience has given me an amazing lift.

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : January 20, 2024 3:01 pm