Notifications
Clear all

Collecting parts

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Weather you have an older or new sidecar stocking up a few parts is not a bad idea.  Things like lights. Will someday fail. It can be hard to find and exact replacement.  Many parts used for light are repurposed from other vehicles .  Cars other motorcycles.  No manufacture  makes replacements for ever. And in the times we live in the supply dries up even faster.

My Hanngian Twin classic used a Harley tail light. A very common standard 1157 bulb type. Harley stopped using that type in 1999. They no longer even stock them.  The aftermarket and even HD do offer  LED's that look the same but mount slightly different and can be used but may require some work.

The LED spoiler light on mine is from a car.  It is the third brake light/ tail light.  It is fitted to the spoiler when made. After many miles of abuse mine was failing.  Cov and others reason there were just none to be had . After many searches I did kind one.  Just one. Kept looking for a spare no luck.

Hannigan called me yesterday and said they had located some and want to know if I still wanted one.  Nice to see Hannigan was still thinking about me after a year.   I said send it.  I want a spare.

I solved the Sidecar tail light thing by getting one just like the bike has.  In LED cut the plug wired it in. Drilled a hole to allow the newer base to work.

Just something to think about. The lens,covers parts on your rig may not be a click away the day you need it.

Posted : March 27, 2024 2:03 am
(@2FLTC)

I bring going one step farther I have doubles and triples of most of my setups, you never know when one you let you down. I've being lucky the past month as find NOS parts for one of the setups that I've being in search for the past twenty years.

Posted : March 27, 2024 2:31 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Quote from 2FLTC on March 27, 2024, 7:31 am

I bring going one step farther I have doubles and triples of most of my setups, you never know when one you let you down. I've being lucky the past month as find NOS parts for one of the setups that I've being in search for the past twenty years.

Riding in winter Salt eat my sidecar tail light when I took it apart to replace the pig tail it fell apart. I was getting ready for a ride. Pulled the one off my 1996 fatboy exact same light. wire cutter heat sink and down the road.

I really dislike last minute surprise when leaving on a ride.

Posted : March 27, 2024 3:31 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

While not exactly motorcycle parts, our Bluedisc/DVD player quit a while back.  I was expecting to replace it with an inexpensive unit.  Nope.

So I went to eBay and picked up 3 identical, NOS, cheap units for the inevitable day when the next one quits.

Sad, but true.

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : March 27, 2024 4:15 am
(@scott-h)

Coming from the automotive world, companies like Scott Drake, Classic industries, etc., make re-pop parts so common an entire vehicle can be built from them.  Right down to the body.

Imagine my surprise when those type vendors are few and far between on the motorcycle side.  Rude awakening when something as simple as a momentary rocker switch for an old BMW cost $68 (NOS part).  

A collection of wear items properly packaged for longevity is a great idea!

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : March 29, 2024 7:47 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Older car parts had a huge demand .  It was easy money making copies.  Parts for sidecars not so much.

Making aftermarket parts for some motorcycles made companies wealthy . Like S&S early on making Harley parts.

Posted : April 1, 2024 10:45 pm
(@2FLTC)

Here's is one reason I like to have spares. No down time in riding and now I have more spare parts to put in good use. Even when things look bad there always a good side.  

Posted : April 9, 2024 2:58 am