Clear all

Tire advice for 2004 Yamaha Venture

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

150/80-16 Front
150/90-15 Rear

I recently found a screw in my front tire, so I need to look for replacements. I have never purchased tires for a sidecar rig so I’m hoping some of you can give me advice on what to look for. I would like to run a car tire, but many of you have recommended not doing this because of the difference in 15” wheels between auto rims and motorcycle rims. So my option is to buy 2 new motorcycle tires. I currently run Dunlop D404 which were fine for solo use but the load rating is only 74 (827lbs)

My bike is very heavy and I ride 2-up with my son in the sidecar. Next year we will be taking some trips and my wife is the type that thinks we need to take everything just in case we need it. She also wants me to pull our trailer. So with all that said it would seem to me I would want a tire with the highest load rating. Is my thinking correct?

The tires I have found that fit my bike and have the highest load rating of 80 (992lbs) are
Avon Venom
Continental Milestone
Metzler ME-880
Shinko 230 tour master

The Shinko has my interest right now as it is the cheapest and gets great reviews online (for solo bikes). If I am going to use up tires twice as fast now with a sidecar this may be a good option.

Anyhow I am just looking for advice from any of you who may have tried these tires or have a better idea for me.

Thanks for your time
Barry

Attached files

Posted : October 20, 2012 3:29 am
(@Hack__n)

It rains in Michigan this time of year, right? The Shinko tread pattern doesn't have much hydroplaning resistance in vertical (sidecar) position. E3's are better and will last longer.
Of your choices, after spending 38 years in the Seattle/Puget Sound area rain I've found the Marathon 880 to be the best tire for not hydroplaning. The softer rubber compound has a shorter tread life than a Dunlop tire but the wet traction is excellent.
The new Dunlop 408 dual compound tires are also hydroplane prone so after one high speed spincter exercise I no longer run them on my rig.

I've got E3's on the front and the hack (17") and a Hankook auto tire on the rear (16").

Lonnie

Posted : October 20, 2012 7:06 am
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for your opinion Lonnie. I have had E3's in the past and they are great tires. the only reason I didn't list them is because the load rating is 77 (910lbs). Maybe the 82lbs difference isn't a big deal and the E3's would be fine?

Posted : October 20, 2012 8:15 am
(@petebooth)

Barry

I am running a nexan 165/80/15 tire on my rear. Had no problems installing it and so far (2500miles) no issues and tire still looks brand new. IMHO rig handles great with great traction on wet pavement

Posted : October 26, 2012 10:03 am
(@Anonymous)

Pete
Thanks for the reply. It’s encouraging knowing you fit that tire on your bike, I believe our bikes are the same. I wouldn’t have thought to use a wider tire without hitting the swing arm. Obviously you did it with success. I will take serious consideration in doing this, a car tire would be nice to have in the back. Do you mind me asking what you are running in the front? I believe the tire you are referring to is a Nexen SB-802 165/80R15?

Posted : October 27, 2012 7:40 am
(@petebooth)

Your correct about the rear tire, the front tire is a factory stock

Posted : October 29, 2012 8:03 am
(@Vlad1996)

Hi Pete,
I am wondering if you could post the pic of it on your rig - thank you in advance.

Thanks,
Vlad

Posted : April 29, 2013 9:43 am
(@Vlad1996)

Hi Barry,
I have 2001 Venture with Champion Legend and I am wondering if you installed it on your rig:
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/nexen/sb02/p/tv181000148

Thanks,
Vlad

Posted : April 29, 2013 9:49 am
(@petebooth)

Only just saw your post. Attached are a couplke of pics showing installed tire

Attached files

Posted : May 15, 2013 7:15 am
(@Vlad1996)

Looks awesome and thank you for sharing.

Posted : May 15, 2013 4:44 pm