Notifications
Clear all

Texas sidecar on a PC800

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@FireMaster)
Topic starter

I recently came into possession of a Texas Ranger sidecar and would like to have it professionally mounted on my PC. A check on Bob and Deb at Texas Sidecar finds them moving on to greener pastures.
Are there any expert installers within 350 miles of northeast Louisiana?

Posted : March 1, 2016 11:37 am
(@swampfox)

FireMaster - 3/1/2016 4:37 PM

I recently came into possession of a Texas Ranger sidecar and would like to have it professionally mounted on my PC. A check on Bob and Deb at Texas Sidecar finds them moving on to greener pastures.
Are there any expert installers within 350 miles of northeast Louisiana?

Hi FireMaster, there are a couple of installers over in Texas:

Marcus Renfroe at The CycleShop in Lufkin: 936-637-7555 or 936-674-6767 -- Marcus, Sr. is now mostly retired and teaching MSF & S/TEP classes; and

Perry Bushong at Perry's Motorcycles & Sidecars in Ft. Worth: 817-877-5900 -- ask for Merry -- http://www.perrysmotorcycles.com/ .

It appears from the pics on Texas Sidecars website that Bob used a one piece lower subframe :

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : March 2, 2016 3:02 am
(@FireMaster)
Topic starter

Thank you SwampFox! I will give Marcus a call. Lufkin is an easy drive from Mer Rouge.

Posted : March 2, 2016 3:14 am
(@jaydmc)

The Pacific coast is not all that hard of a bike to install a sidecar on however it is not popular enough for us to have ever tooled for the mounts. A frame clamp will work for the upper rear however you have to trim the plastic so that the trunk still opens, this requires a curved slot. The other 3 mounting points require proper sub frames to be fabricated. I would send you photo's but we have not had one in our shop since a flood took out our hard drive and its back up 12 years ago. Do not go to some one who wants to clamp the sidecar on using "universal" hardware. Shops that do this usually claim to know what they are doing and while they work long enough for you to leave their facility often by the time you get home things have slipped. Perry's as recommended above does great work. I know nothing of the other shop.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Posted : March 2, 2016 5:27 am
(@FireMaster)
Topic starter

Thanks Jay. I will ask Marcus about the universal frame clamp.
I assume the PC is harder to mount a car than a cruiser. So much Tupperware to deal with!

Posted : March 2, 2016 1:35 pm
(@jaydmc)

Any one who knows what they are doing should not care about the plastic. It just takes a bit longer as you have to take it on and off as well as trim it. Under the plastic it is not much different then any other bike, you still need to tie to solid structure.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Posted : March 2, 2016 1:38 pm
(@Bubblechaser)

Just being mosey FireMaster, did you ever get your Texas installed? I’m in Bastrop and haven’t seen you riding though I have seen a Pc going through Collinston a couple of times. No matter, safe riding to you.

Posted : June 24, 2018 3:43 pm
(@FireMaster)
Topic starter

Good Morning Bubblechaser, No, I have not gotten my car mounted on my bike. Neck surgery last summer and complications have postponed my plans. I am not giving up, I just have to get healed enough to ride.

Posted : June 25, 2018 5:09 am
(@Bubblechaser)

I do hope you have a speedy recovery. Since first reading your post in 2016, I purchased a 94 Goldwing with a California on it and have really been having a blast riding it. I still have my VTX , so I swap out every other day. Looking forward to seeing you on the road. Be safe!

Posted : June 25, 2018 12:49 pm