Notifications
Clear all

R1200R For a SideCar Rig

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@DBrochu)
Topic starter

I'm thinking about picking up a 2007 BMW R1200R as engine for a hack. Does anyone have any experience mounting a sidecar to one of these?

If not is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

I want a BMW Rig, but I want it to be new and reliable as I plan on using it for long distance rides with my wife.

Thank you for any input.

Posted : May 8, 2007 9:40 am
(@twintwin)

Here is one!
French sidecar builder
http://www.dedome.com/Accueil.htm
first click on portfolio,
then on the R1200R sidecar picture,
and on the animation at the bottom of the "R1200R sidecar pictures" page.
If you have some trouble to communicate with the owner of the compagny PJ Dedome (French like me), I would be happy to help.
Good luck!

Posted : May 8, 2007 10:10 am
(@Hack__n)

Like all '70 and later Beemers you will need a sub-frame to install a sidecar. Most all models BMW's have had hacks mounted since way back when gas was 5 gallons for a buck and they make great sidecar tugs.
Your sub-frame can be found at this website.
After several miles you may desire trail modifications for "power steering", also available at this site.

Come join us,

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecar

Posted : May 8, 2007 2:08 pm
(@Anonymous)

Lots of options here:

http://www.sidecar.com/stuff1.asp and here:

http://www.sidecar.com/stuff2.asp

I have an EZS sidecar on my R1100RT: www.ezs-usa.com

Enjoy the research process!

Posted : May 8, 2007 3:15 pm
(@Anonymous)

After buying a Ural a year or so ago, i realized a wanted a more powerful rid for long distances. Although I considered adding a sidecar to my R1200GS, I decided to purchased a Suzuki 1000 V Strom instead. It has virtually the same power/torque as the R12GS, and was much cheaper.

I had Dauntless do the work and they did a great job.

The only problem was that, while a 1000 cc suzuki engine (or a 1200cc BMW engine) is more than powerful enough on a bike alone, the sidecar creates way more drag than I realized. Although the Suzuki rig is great, it is not ideal (imho) for longer distance work. On freeways I have to ride the heck out of it, and then the gas mile deteriorates considereably. Thankfully, I was able to re-gear it by changing sprockets, which I would not have been able to do on my Beamer. Still, it is a medium distance rig, at least the way I like to ride.

Recently, I purchased a Honda GoldWing, and had Hannigan add a sidecar to it.

The two rigs are different, the Suzuki is more nimble in town. However, on the highway, the Wing if king, hands down. Way more torwue and pure power. Plus, the Wing has many standard features which either are not available or are expensive on other bikes (e.g. reverse, built in intercom, prewired for all sorts of add onn,and an endless supply of aftermarket stuff for "road trips". Plus, a rear car tire will fit on the stock bike wheel, try pricing a rim for a car tire for Suzuki, plus sizes are an issue due to swingarm width.

If you use a bike rear tire, the mileage will make longer trips somewhat problematic.

I am not knocking the Beamer in any way, it would make a fine tug. But if you plan to do longer trips, you could get a Wing for the same or less ultimate cost, and you might find it more suitable. Or, perhaps a K1200LT model BMW?

Again, jmho

greg

Posted : May 9, 2007 3:19 pm
(@DBrochu)
Topic starter

Wow!

I hadn't really thought about using my RT as a tug. The 1200RT with the Dedome rig looks outstanding.

Do you have any experience with this type of rig?

I had a Harley Rig before and while I loved having a sidecar rig, the HD wasn't for me.

This looks interesting. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Anyone using an RT as a tug?

Posted : May 10, 2007 10:37 am