Notifications
Clear all

TN ride with the rig

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

We just returned from about a two week ride with the sidecar. It was a blast riding in eastern TN , NC area. Of course we took it up and down the Dragon. And a lot of other twisty roads. 3,000 mile trip in the end. The rig handled great no madder where we took it. The reverse came in handy when we met a Momma bear on a one lane trail road. And I do mean met up close and personal. She stood tall and informed us it was Not visiting day at the zoo. We back away slowly and then once she relaxed we were allowed to take pictures of her and her cubs. just a couple shots of her .

Posted : June 2, 2019 12:46 am
(@swampfox)

Quote from smitty901 on June 2, 2019, 5:46 am

...Momma bear ... informed us it was Not visiting day at the zoo....

Great experience .... glad it worked out to mutual benefit.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : June 5, 2019 2:46 am
(@Anonymous)

Sounds like a great chance to write an article and send photos to Martin for the Sidecarist. I'd love to see it there.... A memorable adventure to share with fellow sidecarists.

Posted : June 5, 2019 3:28 am
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

Don't know how to send them. It was a great ride this year and that Hannigan was great. Total miles on the install is 8,88o miles now.

Wife went nuts with her new camera 800 plus pictures this trip.  This was not a cheap project. But every dime was worth it.

Posted : June 5, 2019 8:34 am
(@al-olme2)

If you can download the pictures from her camera to a computer, you can attach them to email.  Send them with the story to editor@sidecar.com.  If possible send full sized images.  Most email programs limit the size of a single transmission so you may need to split them up.

Posted : June 5, 2019 12:41 pm
(@smitty901)
Topic starter

The RGU with the Hannigan Twin Classic now has 15,000 miles on the sidecar. When I decide to do this on the RGU it was two options DMC or Hannigan. I live in Wisconsin, DMC other side of the country, Murray KY Hannigan is 530 miles away. So it was Hannigan. The rig has brought many miles of Joy to Payton and she loves riding more than many could understand.  Most of her teachers have ridden in and even a couple of her doctors. I have also learned to enjoy the rig. My plans were to take it on and off and planed front end work to allow that. I have taken it off once. And that was just to do . It has been ridden in snow and ice, lot of rain.  In the Smoky mountains and several states in between.  I never could have imagined enjoying this rig this much. I have allowed a few that are looking at the sidecar as away to extend their touring years a bit to try it out.  One has had his rig all summer now and hooked for life. Another will be visiting Hannigan soon and is looking at DMC on line.  As I have told him he can not go wrong with either if he decides to do it. May met up with him in TN again before he  does it just to allow him the chance to drive mine a bit more.  It is a major purchase when done right. I knew I was going to do it for Payton so it was easier for me.

The Hannigan has taken a beating and still function and looks great. If I had it to do all over again the only thing I would do different is order it faster.  We still have the 750 with the budget Velorex on it and it is still used . I do still ride my two wheeled motorcycle. I know now that as my riding days come to and end they will in with a sidecar.

Last week in Clarksville TN.

Posted : October 25, 2019 2:29 pm