Clear all

Suzuki Vstrom1000 vs Yamaha Super Tenere vs Honda Africa Twin

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

In looking for a mid-range (price wise) adventure tug with a reliable worldwide network of dealer/support, which would be the better tug:

1). Yamaha Super Tenere (1189 cc) (MSRP $15,099)

2). Suzuki Vstrom 1000 (1037 cc) (MSRP $12,999)

3). Honda Africa Twin (998 cc) (MSRP $13,599)

All three with comparable reliability, power and worldwide dealer network, which would made a better, more reliable tug and why?

Which would is the easier to set up for sidecar use? ... needing less modifications?

Am interested in hearing from sidecar builders, manufacturers and fabricators, getting their real world point of view.

Thanks

CCjon

Posted : December 6, 2018 12:02 pm
(@jaydmc)

We have done perhaps 40 of the V strom but only one of the current generation of bikes and did not have time to tool for production. We have done about 5 of the Tenere's. Both work well and for both we make "leading legs" to lower the steering effort. We have not done the Africa twin, I rode my bother in laws Africa twin and was very impressed with it. I really liked the automatic transmission.  The Africa twin will be easy to develop parts for once we have one to work with. You might also add to your list of bikes the Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer. We have done about 5 of these as well and have one in the shop right now. We are tooled for mounts and leading legs. The one in the shop now is getting a leading link front end.

For me however if I were building another bike for my own use I would start with a BMW R1200GSA. Pick up a couple of year old one. As BMW just came out with the R1250GS there will be some good deals on the R1200 as many people have a need for the latest bike. The BMW is a bit more refined bike, the Telelever front end is easy to modify for easier steering. We offer an automotive rear wheel conversion that can interchange with the sidecars wheel and in the case of the water cooled GSA we even have a set up to put a rear wheel on the front allowing for all three wheels to interchange. When you go with an automotive wheel on the other bikes you have to use a low profile tire which does not have as much side wall to protect the rim and give you a good ride quality. You mention parts through out the world. If you are truly going to travel to distant places. In many countries BMW car dealers and motorcycle dealers are one in the same. Overnighting parts into some smaller countries can be problematic I have been told by Helge of Globe riders who now tours with one of our sidecars on his R1200GSA. In the case of BMW as the car dealers have worked out how to get parts in quick (i.e. who to pay off) they can get bike parts in quick. This is not always the case with other brands of bikes. I have "heard" of people waiting a month for overnighted parts to clear customs in some places.  BTW we have done over 1000 of the BMW GS bikes which should say a lot about which bikes are popular for sidecar use. We even now have a distributor for our sidecars in China  for the BMW GS, we make our sidecars for left side fitment and export to Australia, New Zealand, England and have a distributor working on all EU certifications right now all for the GS. As such we have a bit more experience with the BMW's then any other bikes and have developed many more options for these bikes. The BMW also tends to retain its resale value better as such in the long run if you factor in the cost of steering and wheel modifications and resale the BMW may just pencil out to be the better value.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : December 7, 2018 2:04 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Thanks Jay, have previously drunk the blue koolaid, but nothing screams rich foreigner in a third world country like riding a $50,000 BMW.  Hmm, maybe the Beemer dealers saw me the same way too. BMW parts prices are... well, you know.

Is one bike's frame simpler and stronger for attaching a sidecar than the other two?  Yamaha - Suzuki - Honda?

CCjon

Posted : December 8, 2018 4:21 pm
(@Anonymous)

ROKON Can find parts at most hardware stores,  top speed 37mph.  BMW R1150GS they never break top speed 90+ mph.  Taking out now to find that speed.

Dave USCA VP

Posted : December 9, 2018 2:36 am
(@jaydmc)

Frame on all of the bike are good enough as long as proper sub frames are designed, pretty much the case with most modern bikes. The days of "clamping" a sidecar on are long gone.

Rather then a $50K BMW why not start with a 5K R1100 or R1150GS. I have one customer who we have  built several sidecars for who will not go with anything newer then an R1150GS as he does not like the need for a computer to do some of the work on the bike. Money is not an issue with this customer, just getting the best tool for his use.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : December 10, 2018 2:42 am