Skip to content
SR500 Yamaha and 56...

Notifications
Clear all

SR500 Yamaha and 562 Velorex??? will it work??

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@johnb1953)
Topic starter

Hi everyone  It has been a while since I have been here. A while back I bought a nice 81 XS 650 Yamaha to be the tug for my 2003 562 Velorex hack. I spent a lot of time on line finding out how to put this rig together. I have put about 800 miles on it between last year and this year. I am not real thrilled with the 650. It has a definite lag between 2800-3300 rpms and makes terrible gas mileage about 24mpg.  But I got my old SR500 Yamaha back and was thinking that maybe it would be a better choice for my driving style. I am not looking for speed or long distance trips. Mostly around town/2 lane country roads. As I remember it has tons of torque through the rpm range or should I just put it all up for sale and stick to my VW powered trike? Thanks for any and all input.  JohnB

Posted : October 31, 2021 2:35 pm
(@swampfox)

John, I have no  experience with either the XS650 or SR500 (but suspect I'd sure enjoy a SR500), so I'm no help.  Lonnie Cook in Idaho was our resident expert in such combinations, but we sadly lost him to cancer.

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : November 3, 2021 1:44 am
(@mike-bodisch)

Hello John 

While I do not have direct experience with an SR500/Velorex combo, I have owned a Yamaha SR500 and a Velorex sidecar.  Rode the Yamaha all over northern Greece while stationed there.  It is a real thumper and does have a load of torque.  And, I believe it would pull the Velorex without any problems.  The older Velorex I had, I mounted to a Yamaha V-Star 950.  Perhaps a little too much power for the sidecar.  It was a little too easy to fly the car.  Came close to a wipe out in heavy traffic when I was cut off and had to accelerate and cut hard right.  Got a lot of folks excited.  

I think your SR 500 and the Velorex 562 would be a real fun combination and would really like to try it.  Good luck with the project and please keep us posted.  

Mike in MS

Posted : November 8, 2021 4:10 pm
(@lowriderbud)

Why not fix the 'lag' on the 650.  It should have adequate power in all gears to pull the Velorex 562.  Seems like a lot less work.

Later, Bud...

Posted : November 10, 2021 2:21 am