Clear all

Source of coil spring/shock

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@edward-jones)
Topic starter

Hello Everyone, 

I'm working on getting my 1980 Coupe Royale road worthy. As a test yesterday I took it our with 160# of weight in the seat. Rig ran sweet until the hard left at speed test. It handled well but the old Monroe coil spring and Monroe air shock gave up the ghost. The fender settled onto the tire and stayed there 🙁 So for a 1/4 mile to a safe pull off I did my part for mosquito control with nice blue smoke. After nursing it back home I discovered the ancient Air Shock was the culprit, jammed in the lowest position.

But the real culprit is the misaligned fender, if it were in the proper position it might clear at max compression of the old shocks without hitting the fender.

So long story to the question. Where can I find data sheets on coil over shocks. I need a min of 10 3/4”, ride hight of 12” and max 14 1/2”

Changing the fender location would be a PITA and Monroe doesn’t provide any actual data that I can find,  just advertising fluff.

Edward

Posted : May 26, 2022 4:29 am
(@edward-jones)
Topic starter

After letting the shock issue marinate for awhile, I looked across the garage at my 1981 R100RT and BINGO, the rear shocks look right and the rear of a MC needs that same relative massive weight gain the SC sees. So since the BMW is on long term repair after a electrical fire, I stole the rears off to gift to the SC. Hope to get out later today and test.

Edward

Posted : May 26, 2022 5:31 am
(@ned)

You mean the fittings at the top and bottom of the BMW shock match the fittings on the old air shocks?  And they were the right length too???

That kind of thing NEVER happens to me.

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : May 26, 2022 3:56 pm
(@swampfox)

Looking fwd to the update.......

Lee
MB5+TW200+CRF250L+GTV300+INT650
XL883R w/Texas Ranger Sidecar
Zuma 50F + Burgman w/Texas Sidecar<Mrs. SwampFox

Posted : May 27, 2022 1:49 am
(@edward-jones)
Topic starter

Hello Drone, yes the old Monroe use 3/8in studs/bolts for mounting like an old VW Bug. The 1981 BMW also uses studs/bolts but have a 10mm hole which is just a smidge over 3/8in(9.525mm).

The mounting on the SC are different heights, the rear which had the Monroe Air is 1 3/16 inch higher. The BMW GAZI shocks, which I’ve never heard of and can find on the web, have adjustable lower mount which gives about 3/4inch difference between min/max adjustment. These shocks have almost 3inch to bump stop range.

So with the longer in back and with 165 pounds in the seat, the sag is set to slightly less than 1inch on the front and slightly more on the rear. I think this should work fine. See anything I missed?

Pictures are with the weight in the seat.

Edward

Posted : May 27, 2022 7:04 am
(@edward-jones)
Topic starter

Oh and I didn't turn those Monroe shock the right way showing the MADE IN USA text. I venture a guess they are now proudly made in the FAR EAST 🙂

Edward

Posted : May 27, 2022 8:09 am
(@ned)

Never would have guessed the old Motorvation required TWO shocks.  Anyway, looks like a great solution.

Now for the road test?

Have owned 5 rigs but Rig #2 is my current one!

Posted : May 28, 2022 12:53 pm
(@edward-jones)
Topic starter

OK The 1st road test after shock exchange was 95% success. The SC loaded to 170lbs, The hard left at speed was undramatic and general control was nice. The only wobble I experienced was during a slow acceleration at under 10mph. But in a moderate acceleration with with more weight transfer no wobble detected. At 55mph on a smooth road with a noticeable crown I needed to keep a constant slight push on the right bar. At lower speed say about 40 no push needed.

The alignment settings are 9-1/2” SC tire lead, Toe-in 1-9/16” and MC lean out with me aboard is 1.7deg. Even with the 16th over 1.5” toe-in the tire temps were pretty good 86,87,88 across the face inside to out. I think I might bump the lean out to 2deg

The pics at a local lake. I was shocked there were not any adults and kids playing in the water. But then the water is still pretty cool here at 44.4deg N lat.  

Posted : May 30, 2022 4:54 am