Sidecar side working.

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Morning Guys an Gals

Any tips for making maintenance on the sidecar side of a Wing easier?

Nothing major to do just battery change and foot brake lever and foot board.

Steve

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : February 10, 2024 12:25 am
(@miles-ladue)

Steve, no real secret here, or world changing advice. I personally would keep the sidecar attached to the bike, and work around the sidecar mounts, etc.

It's going to be harder, especially given your physical issues, but....ONE thing at a time, take your time....do the Battery first, just leaning over the bike seat, and again...take your time, think it all out, and it can be done.

The reality of the situation is, the total time it takes to replace your bike battery, and to remove the old foot brake lever and right side footpeg, then install the new right side floorboard, and new foot brake lever....will be MUCH less time than simply removing the sidecar.

I wish I was there to help, or do it for you...or better yet have your rig in my shop so we could do it all up on my lift, but........

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : February 10, 2024 4:44 am
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Morning Miles

Thanks for the advice. Yeah battery first is easy, there seems to be a fuse bank on the securing strap so nice and gentle with all the wires. I see there are a few spare fuses in different locations but i suspect a new set of spares fuses might not be a bad idea, or do they age well? All part of finding my way around and gaining confidence =)

Saw the liver surgeon this week and as such i have a clean bill of health so onward and upward =)

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : February 10, 2024 5:37 am
(@swampy)

I have a 1500 wing with a Hanigan Sidecar.  I have to remove one sidecar bolt to get my seat off.  It made it much easier to change the battery.  I just changed my rear tire and was able to do that and shocks without taking the car off.  It wasn’t easy. But if you take your time you can do it.  Good luck.  

Posted : February 12, 2024 2:59 pm
Steve Ives
(@none)
Topic starter

Battery done without much trouble. The new Noco Lithium 600CA is also quite a bit smaller and i had to use the supplied packing pieces to make up the difference. It also means that the screws are more exposed should i ever need to put charging clamps on, my charger has the dinky connector so i do not even need to remove the panel to maintain the new battery. The seat acted as my chest rest =)

Thanks

Steve

Walk with Joy
Steve Ives

Posted : February 12, 2024 9:35 pm
(@smitty901)

Be careful charging those Lithium  batteries. Another forum bike owner just lost 3 bikes and his garage when Lithium  battery blew up charging.

Posted : February 13, 2024 1:16 am
(@aceinsav)

When I had my 1500 I would open the sidecar top and get in the sidecar when I needed to do something on the right side, it was easier for me than leaning across the bike. 

Posted : February 13, 2024 2:57 am
(@smitty901)

Depending on the sidecar. It does not take much to remove the tub and not touch the mounts. I know on mine 4 bolts and separate the wiring plug.

Set it off.

Posted : February 13, 2024 5:39 am
(@scott-h)

Quote from smitty901 on February 13, 2024, 10:39 am

Depending on the sidecar. It does not take much to remove the tub and not touch the mounts. I know on mine 4 bolts and separate the wiring plug.

Set it off.

If I did that, as soon as the tub came off I'd start thinking about how it could be replaced with a utility bed.  Then I'd spend the next week building one, install it, and totally forget about why I took the original tub off in the first place.  lol

Hold my keyboard and watch this! 🙃

Posted : February 13, 2024 5:44 am