Notifications
Clear all

SECO or Spaldingside

13 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

May I stand corrected.  For a very long time I have been saying I have not seen or heard of another sidecar like mine. Up until yesterday. Pinterest shows two, one red one blue. One desert one tropical back ground.  I have been using SECO and not Spaldingside as identifying the sidecar. Kind of like calling a Cadillac a GM.  Now that I have proof that sidecar Desire is not an orphan and I know her real name, I will keep looking.   Thanks for reading

Posted : March 26, 2024 7:22 am
(@reardan-tom)

I had a Spalding mounted on a Dyna Wide Glide by Lonnie Cook in Boise. He's gone now. I sold it after my truck burned as part of raising the funds to replace it. Lets see if I can find a photo....

Posted : March 26, 2024 11:56 am
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

Thank you Tom for responding to my post. I have so many questions. When did you get yours? What number is it? Mine is #588, and I believe the last of it's breed. There were two companies manufacturing sidecars on the west coast, Liberty and DMS, my wife helped me to deside on the Spalding because it was easer to get in and out of.  Mrs. Dr. Spalding said "women do not like to climb in and out" of sidecars. The clam shell is convenient but a weak point. As is the fender. I made a brace for the fender and stronger gas struts for the clam shell. I have not had a problem yet, but I am cautious and curious of what others, like you, might have done to prevent damage. And the steering. You must have changed the rake and trail from stock. 

Maybe we can continue this conversation, or attract others to fill in the lost points. 

Posted : March 27, 2024 7:02 am
(@miles-ladue)

Bill Cook, you  said there were two companies manufacturing  sidecars  on the  West Coast....

One of the  long time  sidecar  manufacturers you  didn't  mention  is Champion Sidecars......in business  longer than  Liberty or the former  DMC, and they are  still in  business,  located close to  Disneyland in the  LA area. Also, the original  California  Sidecar  Company  started on the  West Coast, then went East.

Champion Sidecars  manufacturers  Sidecars  with a door in the  side of the  sidecar......just the same as Hannigan  Sidecars  does....making it  easy for  monkey  passengers to  enter  or exit the  sidecar. 

Example...below is a 2022 Hannigan Dream sidecar, attached to a 2019 Goldwing w/DCT

Two Million Mile Rider...All 7 Continents
Exploring the World in Comfort

Posted : March 27, 2024 10:54 am
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

Well I gota say, the Hannigan Dream is cool. A side door and a trunk; totally first class. 

Champion : yes, your right. A top shelf company. The raked front end that I needed for a safe and "powered steering" feel as well as the reverse gear to get me out of  holes came from Champion.  I just didn't want to go to LA. DMC [thank you for the correction] was the easiest for my wife to get in and out of. I think it was January, snow on the ground when she had she first ride. Red faced and drippin snot, when she returned she was hooked after a 30 minute ride. Thank you Jay of "big wind" Enumclaw,Wa. for taking my wife for a ride in freezing weather. 

We next took a look at Liberty sidecars in Seattle. Very nice, old school looking, very classy, just a little too tight for us. 

Somehow I found Spaldingside. It had the easy entry we needed and enough room to be comfortable and not cramped.

Mr. Monkey, you are indeed informed, and knowledgeable. Keep me honest.

Posted : March 28, 2024 3:04 pm
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

I meant to add a picture

Posted : March 28, 2024 3:06 pm
(@reardan-tom)

Quote from Bill Cook on March 27, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thank you Tom for responding to my post. I have so many questions. When did you get yours? What number is it? Mine is #588, and I believe the last of it's breed. There were two companies manufacturing sidecars on the west coast, Liberty and DMS, my wife helped me to deside on the Spalding because it was easer to get in and out of.  Mrs. Dr. Spalding said "women do not like to climb in and out" of sidecars. The clam shell is convenient but a weak point. As is the fender. I made a brace for the fender and stronger gas struts for the clam shell. I have not had a problem yet, but I am cautious and curious of what others, like you, might have done to prevent damage. And the steering. You must have changed the rake and trail from stock. 

Maybe we can continue this conversation, or attract others to fill in the lost points. 

I bought it from Lonnie as previously mentioned, not sure I have a record of the date. Then, when trying to raise $20K to replace my pickup that burned, I sold it to Marilyn McKenzie from Idaho a few years ago.  I'll contact her if you like. I told her about USCA, the Sidecarist and the forum at the time she and a friend trailered it away but we haven't visited since that I recall. There are times that I don't recall things I should though... lol... Also, I'll post a photo of my FLH/Liberty outfit that I sold most recently due to health reasons and meeting the right person to "pass the torch" to... You realize of course, Pete Larson who owned and operated Liberty Motors in Seattle "retired" and moved on to other pursuits.

Posted : March 29, 2024 5:22 am
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

Oh what would we do without this forum?  Monkey, and now Tom are involved in this conversation to locate more Spaldingside cars. I hope that Marilyn can find time to join our discussions as well. I have left emails and phone calls to     others    re: the demise of SECO; no response as of yet.  But hope is on the horizon with Tom and Marilyn and the two I've seen on Pintrest.  Perhaps this year we will find a few more.   The quest continues.          Bill 

Posted : March 29, 2024 6:04 am
(@spudzmckenzie)

Hello friends with three wheels. Tom has connected me successfully to you. As he informed, I am the proud owner of his former HD rig with Spalding sidecar.  I know you’d like to know it’s number. Where do I find the number?  How else may I be of assistance?

Posted : March 30, 2024 1:10 pm
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

Marilyn:  It's simple. Tell your story and add a photo or two.  welcome to the tribe.

Posted : March 31, 2024 4:33 am
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

For Marilyn;    My reply to your post was not meant to be so abrupt or uncaring. I hope that you will accept my apology. I would very much like to meet you and your sidecar at some point. The season is upon us for travel and adventures. I see that you have a Spud in your life. A Spud in my life has helped rebuild the engine, aligned the sidecar properly, added the raked front end and installed a reverse gear. I hope that you are as happy with your Spalding as I am with mine. 

I placed my sidecar order February 2013. The invoice records a #588 production number; the number is not on the sidecar itself. It would be nice to hear your story of how and why you chose to have a sidecar. A photo would be great. 

Posted : April 4, 2024 5:27 am
(@reardan-tom)

Bill, here's Marilyn the evening they headed out with her new outfit. We were linked by a mutual friend who doesn't post here often either- John Embrey.

Posted : April 4, 2024 1:57 pm
(@bills-bucket)
Topic starter

Thanks.  The front end looks raked and the sidecars windscreen is shorter. My wife wants / gets a taller windscreen. Do you recall when you ordered / received your sidecar? I ordered Feb. 2013 and picked it up the first of July. #588    I like the color.

It would be nice to have a west coast sidecar get together. ( i had another word in mind but i couldn't spell it )  Thank you Reardan for intervening.  

Posted : April 5, 2024 5:59 am