Clear all

Looking for new tug

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

Hi all

I am considering replacing my current tug, Goldwing 1500. I am looking for  something with a little less tupperware  and a nice blend of cruiser and tourer design

I a looking at the Kawasaki Voyager and the Yamaha Venture but am open to other ideas. I haven't seen many cars on either so I have to ask if they would make good tugs.

if you have info on these bikes I welcome your input good or bad. I had the Valkyrie on my list but Jay helped me see it wasn't going to be a good choice

Posted : June 16, 2020 2:44 am
(@jaydmc)

We have done both, and have mounts for both.  I would add to your list of requirements are steering modifications made for the bike and can you fit an automotive tire to the rear. Another bike I have always liked that we still make mounts for but no longer have  steering modifications for is the Triumph Rocket 3 tourer.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Posted : June 16, 2020 3:46 am
 Sal
(@sal)

• The Valkyrie 1500 is basically a Goldwing without the Tupperware.. cruiser and some have the touring package, beautiful bikes.
  • There's a Facebook group dedicated to the Valkyrie with sidecars.

Posted : June 16, 2020 11:08 pm
(@jaydmc)

The Valkyrie is a great bike, two down sides, they always have gotten poor fuel economy, which is not that big of a deal. However the newest one is still over 20 years old.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Posted : June 17, 2020 3:27 am
(@EncoreJoe)

How about a Triumph Rocket?  I am thinking about something more highway capable than our Ural for the future.

Joe

Posted : June 18, 2020 3:37 pm
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

So during my search for a new tug I ran across a deal on a Goldwing trike that I jumped on and bought for my wife. it had been sitting so it needed quite a bit of work, so between the purchase and working on getting it road worthy my search for a new tug was put on hold. 

Posted : September 28, 2020 6:20 am
(@mike-donohue)

I too have a 1500SE and would like something different for the same reasons! Plus I think the torque curve of a V twin is probably more suited to be a tug , not to mention I just can't stand the elitist mentality the winger guys seem highly infected with.

Posted : September 29, 2020 8:04 pm
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

I did get my new to me tug. after much looking and then being put on hold for a bit I bought this beauty from my BIL who decided to hang up his helmet. I once said I would never buy an 1800 wing, well unless I put a sidecar on it. now comes the tough decision as to whether I want to make the modifications to the Motorvation and install it or get a new style car 

Posted : December 31, 2020 4:21 am
(@don)

Ace, I'm in agreement with you regarding the tupperware.  I like the color of the GL1800 in your picture.  I have a friend in IL with that color GL1800 and Hannigan sidecar.  It is a beauty.

If a new Valkyrie would come out with fuel injection I'd be very interested if the classic motorcycle look remained.  The GL1500ct is a very comfortable bike to ride, but Jay is right about the fuel efficiency.  It is better than my pickup truck, but worse than our Ford Escape.

Posted : December 31, 2020 4:47 am
(@aceinsav)
Topic starter

speaking of mileage, funny thing. I have bought 2 bikes from Atlanta area, both of them got 40+ MPG when I bought them but after getting them home and riding about a month they both went down under 40 MPG. I guess we have bad gas here in Sav. area 

Posted : December 31, 2020 6:00 am
(@dave)

I could like the GL1800 more if that giant rear box was gone - I have seen some threads on "wing" sites about removing them - a kit/mod for same is mentioned but seems to be old info - anyone familiar?

Posted : January 3, 2021 5:54 am