Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Joyce Canfield's Sidecars in the Flint Hills: September 8-11, 2022

Page 1 of 2Next

Please note the new dates for this year's  rally.  This year’s rally will be held at Group Campsite S-2, Council Grove Lake, Canning Creek Cove, Council Grove, Kansas. There will be door prizes, awards, guided & self guided tours, and sidecar games. The rally fee includes 2 meals plus biscuits & gravy Sunday morning and camping with electric & water hookups (first come basis). This is a Corps of Engineers campground and has clean, hot showers. For those not wishing to camp, motels are available in the town of Council Grove. Visit http://www.councilgrove.com/diningandlodging for more info on lodging.

For Questions Contact: Jim DeJarnatt at (816) 309-3395, jimdeja@pm.me

A flier for the rally is attached. Directions and a map to the rally site can be found at: sites.google.com/site/sidecarsfh/ 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon, DeanH and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonDeanHThane LewisFlyinMonkeys

CR, please send this info and the flyer to "editor@sidecar.com" so it can be published in The Sidecarist" for all to see.  We want all of our members to know about the various sidecar gathering around the country.

smitty901, Craig and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
smitty901CraigFlyinMonkeys

Coming up in two weeks, can't wait to do some more riding and get to another rally.

FlyinMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeys

It has been a long dry spell for rallies since the national rally in Hotchkiss, though we did ride to Durango late in July.

DeanH has reacted to this post.
DeanH

It would be nice if a few people who attend could take some pics so the rest of us can enjoy the event as well. And with some nice pics we can share the festivities with people in the future who want to know what it is about and decide to attend in future years. You can share your pics here in the forums or email them to me and I will build a photo album for the website like I did for the national rally in Hotchkiss, CO. You can see that by clicking on "Sidecar Events" on the main menu.

Jerry M
admin@sidecar.com

CCjon, David & Christy and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonDavid & ChristyFlyinMonkeys
"I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things."

The adventure starts on Tuesday. Going to ride over to John and Cookie's in Denver and spend Tuesday night with them. Off to the rally on Wednesday with an overnight in Great Bend on Tuesday night.

This retirement thing still has not kicked in completely but I am trying to force myself to take the slower roads and see the scenery since I do not have the time constraint of work anymore. I might even stop on occasion to take a picture or two of the ride.

Dana

CCjon, Thane Lewis and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane LewisFlyinMonkeys

I know that at least 3 of us on these forums will be at the Flint Hills Sidecar Rally in Council Grove, Kansas.

I'm leaving Olympia, WA on Wednesday morning, to ride out to Hannigan sidecars for my new Gen 3 Dream sidecars, and along the way there is this gathering...so a MUST attend is in order.

SwampFox, DirtyDR and CCjon have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxDirtyDRCCjon
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents

Jane and I should arrive in Council Grove in the latter part of the afternoon.  See you there.

SwampFox, DirtyDR and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxDirtyDRCCjonDeanHFlyinMonkeys

I will arrive mid afternoon on Friday.

Jim Pendergrass

CCjon and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeys
2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

Things are not looking good for me at this point, nothing serious but the heat was a real issue for me today and it will only get worse in Kansas. Problem is me not the bike, continuing to get over a few things and the heat is really not my friend right now. This has been a hell of a couple of months.

Still looking forward to seeing some sidecars back in Hotchkiss for our local rally after the Flint Hills rally though, I might actually make it through a rally yet this Summer.

Dana

FlyinMonkeys

Dana, sorry to hear about what's going on with you, and the heat. I too hate riding in the heat...would rather ride all day in 50 degrees, than to ever see 80 degrees, let alone the 90+ degrees I will be going through during the next 2 weeks on my way to and from Hannigan.

When we meet up again in Hotchkiss, I will share with you all my riding tips of how a cold weather rider survives riding in the heat.

DirtyDR has reacted to this post.
DirtyDR
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents

Sorry you had to cut your journey short Dana, especially now that you can enjoy the road less traveled.  Praying your endurance continues to build back up.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Dana, sorry to hear you will not make the Flint Hills. Take it easy in the heat and hot sun, rebuld your strength.

Another Triumph Rocket 3 fails to reach Council Grove for the rally. The Warthog rig lost its custom muffler somewhere south of Tulsa. Never felt it fall. Firing up the rig the next morning was a wakeup call from everyone in the motel. Would blame it on someone wanting a CAT and took the muffler too, but the CAT wandered off one night a year ago. 

Running a hot engine with a short exhaust pipe is not good. The backfires when shifting sound worse than Chicago southside.

Turned the rig south, headed back to Texas.

Sorry 'bout the muffler fail.  We'll be listening for you as you travel through Northeast Texas --- we might could hear you over here in Louisiana.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

You get that muffler fixed you can always head back up here to Hotchkiss.

Swampfox, you could hear that rig coming all the way to next Tuesday. A new SuperTrapp muffler is on order.

As the motor ran hotter and hotter later in the day, the noise became louder and louder, popping and cracking. Sounded like a war zone.  Though I wore foam plugs, two days later my ears are still ringing.  Was worried about burning a hole in a piston. 

Ordered new E3 sparkplugs as am sure the current plugs are well fouled by now.

Warthog is up on the lift waiting for parts and attention.

Uploaded files:
FlyinMonkeys

Christy is taking pictures, will make sure the get shared via Jerry

Uploaded files:
Circuit Rider, SwampFox and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
Circuit RiderSwampFoxCCjonDeanHFlyinMonkeys

at the “show and shine” aka the wet and drip!

the BMW on the left side was the winner !!

Uploaded files:
Circuit Rider, CCjon and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Circuit RiderCCjonDeanHFlyinMonkeys

Like always, this was a fun rally and a family reunion where we not only see old friends but welcome new ones!

A touch of memorable - or forgettable - weather depending on your outlook but a fun group ride, good little adventure on the train and great times at the campground.  Good food, good music, great company...;)

Thanks to Jim & Bud for organizing and all the unsung heroes who help out here and there to make this a success year after year.

Looking forward to the photos that come out of it and hoping everyone made it home safe and sound.

See you on down the trail.

Happy Motorin'

Dean

Circuit Rider, SwampFox and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Circuit RiderSwampFoxDavid & ChristyFlyinMonkeys
Page 1 of 2Next