Clear all

Escaping the Winter Blast

24 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

While Texas and the rest of the country was shivering with the Arctic blast a few days ago, decided a ride south was in order.

Met up with a group of two wheel riders via MotoQuest in Long Beach, CA. As a group we rode south seeking warmth.  Looking toward the Pacific, we leave the LA basin.

Posted : February 10, 2022 1:33 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

We crossed into Mexico at Tecate, lunch in Ensenada, first night in San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez.

Posted : February 10, 2022 1:35 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Crossed back to the Pacific side to continue south. How far you ask? All the way south till the Baja road ends in Cabo.

Gas can be an issue, so we fill up when available.

Posted : February 10, 2022 1:39 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

No it's not really that bad, PEMEX is our normal re-fueling stop.  That roadside gas stop is famous as has been there for years, the sons Juan and Manuel, now run the business. Am surprised PEMEX has not built a station at that intersection.

Posted : February 10, 2022 1:43 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Sights along the way... low tide, desert shade, and ... the five burros standing on the road as I crested a hill did not stick around for their portrait. 

Posted : February 10, 2022 1:46 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Day three we are in San Ignacio, after crossing from Baja Norte to Baja Sur. People are friendly and smiling everywhere we go.  Masks are requested at all establishments if going in doors, some villages are asking that you wear one when around others.

Posted : February 10, 2022 1:48 pm
(@aceinsav)

Wow looks like a fantastic time. keep it coming 

Posted : February 11, 2022 2:39 am
(@j-r-lewis)

Jan,I really envy you. Looks like a super trip. Wish we could have gone along.

J.R.

Ambassoder at large.

Posted : February 11, 2022 9:00 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

From San Ignacio we rode to Santa Rosalio to visit the famous Iron Church designed by Eiffel. Today was  catching several of the historical missions or churches, of Baja:  Santa Rosalio, Mulege',  Loreto.

Posted : February 13, 2022 2:24 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Roadside stands were available for a quick mid-morning break, coffee or sodas, tacos or quesadillas.

Two burros were unwilling to yield the way... at first. Was a Mexican standoff... can you hear the whistling music from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly?

That day ended with us staying at the Country Club near Loreto, me sitting under the poolside patio cover working on my blog.

Posted : February 13, 2022 2:31 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

The nest day was the longest, straightest riding day, 232 miles to La Paz. Again MotoQuest provided beautiful lodging for the night. Below is the view from the doorway to my room.

Frida, our waitress in La Paz wanted to sit on the sidecar rig. When I agreed, she whipped off her apron and jumped on.

And finally a Food Art photo of the great chicken sandwich Frida brought to the table.

The man sweeping the leaves is using a palm frond as a broom, a practical and economical use of the resources at hand.

Posted : February 13, 2022 2:38 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Last day of group riding we crossed the Tropic of Cancer, stopping for a group photo.

Most all of the group have departed for homes back in the States or Canada. I am in Todos Santos for a few days, resting, grabbing photos of whatever attracts my attention...

Will start back north later this week.

The photos are:

Sunset in La Paz

Saturday night in La Paz

Tropic of Cancer group photo

Todos Santos beach

Posted : February 16, 2022 8:41 am
(@j-r-lewis)

Jan. If you are still in Mexico,could you go by a pharmacy and pick   me up two or three tubes of Kenacomb cream? It's a OTC skin cream. Much appreciated if you can. Thanks  J.R.

Posted : February 18, 2022 4:48 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

J.R. will take a look for you. Will be in Mexico for another 5-6 days, mainly staying in small towns. 

Posted : February 18, 2022 12:47 pm
(@j-r-lewis)

I appreciate it. Thanks a lot. J.R.

Posted : February 18, 2022 1:37 pm
Page 1 / 2