Clear all

Discovery

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@king-troensegaard)
Topic starter

Hi All

This may be old news but I thought I would pass it on.  Our phone provider is switching to 5g and so our old 3g phones will no longer operate. So they sent us two 5g smart phones.  Now this is my first baby step into the 21th century and I approch it with dread,  but I have found one  free app that is most interesting and applicable to us sidecarists.  

Steping back a bit,  it took me several months of trial and error (error=trip to the ditch) to get my rig set up so it tracks fairly true.  So I would like to document where it is in regards to toe-in and lean-out before I remove the car and sub-frame for my yearly big maintenance.  Now the toe-in part is pretty simple I use two 8' long stright edges and can measure it with acceptible accuracy.  But measuring  the lean-out has always eluded me.  I tried a goneometer with a rigged on bubble level but coul'nt get the same number twice=failure.  

Now we come back to the smart phone on which thre is an app called Bubble.  It is an  electronic bubble level and appears quite acurate and percise so measuring lean-out is a cinch.  However you must nominate the surface that represents the bikes vertcal plane and for me that is the side cover that hides the battery on my BMW R75/5.  Placing the phone against it in the "bubble" mode I get 5.32 degrees in the port direction probably a bit exagerated but good enough for when I go to reassembly.

So there it is, a peice of technology that ain't toobad.

All the Best

King

Posted : December 3, 2021 11:32 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Good call.  I have used the Bubble app for some physics classroom measurements and currently use something called AnglePro.  Both are very easy to use and more accurate than most anything else.  Certainly easier than rigging up a bubble level and doing modern dance to read it only to find out you’ve moved it while trying to read the bubble. 

And, yes, you do need to base measurements off of a “known” reference. 

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : December 3, 2021 12:10 pm
(@james-n)

So, are you going to share the results when you get done?

Posted : December 4, 2021 5:04 am
(@king-troensegaard)
Topic starter

Hi

I guess I failed to describe my rig and set-up.  I have a 73 BMW R75/5 as the tug ,pretty stock except for replacing my rear drive with a BMW R50/5 unit  (change from 1:3.2 10/32  to 1:3.56 9/32) which really puts the torque where it needs to be.  The chair is a mid 80's Globe unit from India sort of Ural style.  It is attached to the R75 with a very sturdy sub frame.

The set-up that I have now is a toe-in of 1 1/2 "  with the lean-out as measured on my side panel of 5.32 degrees. Quite stable with an almost neutral right-left pull of course depending on the road camber.

King

Posted : December 4, 2021 8:47 am
(@valkrider)

That’s how I set my lean out a few years back.  I used my rear brake disk. My garage floor wasn’t totally flat and it was necessary to zero the app with one phone edge on the floor as a reference. Over 5 degrees sounds  like a lot.

Posted : December 27, 2021 11:45 am