Notifications
Clear all

69 FLH with 72 LE sidecar

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bill-magill)
Topic starter

Hi, I am new to sidecar.com.  I live in South Carolina. I just posted in the technical manual section, requesting information on a manual for the “LE“ Sidecar.

Here is my basic info: I have a 69 FLH, stock, that I have had for about 40 years. I finally found a “year appropriate” sidecar. I called Harley and gave them the serial number and they said it is a 1972 LE Sidecar. I have always wanted a Sidecar for this bike and now that I have one I want to do things right.I want to set it up like a late 60s, early 70s Harley police bike with Sidecar, so that means a foot clutch and a tank shifter. I am not trying to make it look like a police bike but rather only have the functionality of the police bike.  Here are my questions:

1. Is it correct to assume that those police bikes were four speeds? I am pretty sure that those old transmissions could be converted so that third gear was taken out and used as reverse instead. So did the police bikes have four forward speeds just like the non-sidecar versions of the bike?

2. I am also going to assume that it would be very difficult to find a stock shifting set- up for what I spoke about in my first question. Is that true? If not, where would I begin to look for the OEM stuff? If that is next to impossible to find, what modern replacement would be the closest thing to what was stock in 1969?

3. Lastly, where could I find the technical guidance to attach the Sidecar to my bike? It has the drum brake with a capped off hydraulic line that looks like it is supposed to tie into the master cylinder for the rear brake. In fact the hydraulic line ends right about where the master cylinder is on my 69, so that is an assumption on my part.

I also would like to try to find the OEM piece that ties the two brake lines together.

I have all the brackets to attach it to my frame, so no problem there, but I am concerned about getting the alignment correct, of course. The guy I bought the sidecar from had it attached to a 78 FLH but never hooked up the brake. I am so much hoping that somebody has the old school knowledge to help me out here. Thanks, Bill

Posted : September 17, 2021 8:58 am
(@panhead_kicker)

Hello Bill,

I read this site pretty regularly , but for some reason only saw this post today...

FYI I have a 69 Electra-Glide with side car.

"1. Is it correct to assume that those police bikes were four speeds? I am pretty sure that those old transmissions could be converted so that third gear was taken out and used as reverse instead. So did the police bikes have four forward speeds just like the non-sidecar versions of the bike?"

I am fairly certain the police could have had this either way, but I'd bet most were 4 speed. I also have been gathering parts for the frame mounted shift. So note that the correct shifter for your bike will actually be a frame mounted shift that comes up beside the tank.

"2. I am also going to assume that it would be very difficult to find a stock shifting set- up for what I spoke about in my first question. Is that true? If not, where would I begin to look for the OEM stuff? If that is next to impossible to find, what modern replacement would be the closest thing to what was stock in 1969?"

OEM parts can be had. Ebay is a very good place. I also believe V-Twin has a shift lever kit very close to original. Be aware that to do this OEM correct, a 65-up shift top for the transmission is also required. The correct foot clutch assembly for these years can be elusive. A good OEM HD parts book is necessary to hunt down all the correct stuff.   I suggest the 61-71 parts catalog, but the more easily obtained 58-68 re-printed book is on ebay all the time. There are also antique parts vendors that will have some of the hardware you'll require. I may have a few spares too. 

"3. Lastly, where could I find the technical guidance to attach the Sidecar to my bike? It has the drum brake with a capped off hydraulic line that looks like it is supposed to tie into the master cylinder for the rear brake. In fact the hydraulic line ends right about where the master cylinder is on my 69, so that is an assumption on my part."

Harley produced an owners manual which contains most of the info required. And again, a parts catalog goes a long way with illustrations. I have all of this info. I personally have not hooked up the side hack brake drum to my system. I may in the future, but have not yet so to avoid having to re-bleed the system when I detach to go solo. A quick disconnect is something I may look into. But that so new fangled! <grin>

Know too that there are unique parts for that bike to make it sidecar capable; Adjustable front tree, steering damper, headlamp re-positioning ring. Is your bike already equipped?

Posted : January 29, 2022 9:20 am