Notifications
Clear all

Shock suggestions for Velorex 562

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@motoleo)
Topic starter

After taking off the original shock on my Velorex 562 is now in 2 pieces. I have read that this is common and it is not possible (or worth it) to try and put it back together especially since it is over 30 years old :). Anyone have recommendations for a reasonably priced replacement shock from a motorcycle that would fit and work with the stock axle/swing arm on the Velorex?

Posted : May 27, 2013 3:52 am
(@peter-pan)

Lenny, I'd go with an airshock as seen a few days back on another post.

Posted : May 27, 2013 8:31 am
(@motoleo)
Topic starter

Peter Pan - 5/27/2013 1:31 PM Lenny, I'd go with an airshock as seen a few days back on another post.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I would rather go with just a normal shock that would fit and not have to use a compressor, etc. I'm not going to be putting a lot of weight/passenger in the sidecar

Posted : May 27, 2013 3:26 pm
(@peter-pan)

Like the Kawasaki Z650 in late 80tees didn't need any compressor, they were built for to pump up themselves and would adjust automatically to the load always to the same height, which will keep you free from tinkering each time somebody hops in or out.
Sven

Posted : May 27, 2013 3:57 pm
(@motoleo)
Topic starter

Peter Pan - 5/27/2013 8:57 PM

Like the Kawasaki Z650 in late 80tees didn't need any compressor, they were built for to pump up themselves and would adjust automatically to the load always to the same height, which will keep you free from tinkering each time somebody hops in or out.
Sven

That sounds better. I wonder if that model Kawasaki was imported to the US and if it will fit the Velorex.?

Posted : May 27, 2013 4:17 pm
(@peter-pan)

Lonnie!?? Have You an idea?

Posted : May 27, 2013 4:24 pm
(@Hack__n)

The air shock doesn't need a compressor. I don't know of any inexpensive shocks except from a cycle salvage outlet. Several will work.

Lonnie

Posted : May 28, 2013 4:31 am
(@motoleo)
Topic starter

Hack'n - 5/28/2013 9:31 AM

The air shock doesn't need a compressor. I don't know of any inexpensive shocks except from a cycle salvage outlet. Several will work.

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,

Which make, model, year shocks would work so I can look for one from a salvage source?

BTW, I think I got my swing arm looseness problem sorted out. I took out the cotter pin off the nut on the swing arm bolt and tightened it about 3/4 to one turn and the slack went away. The swing arm feels smooth moving it up or down.

Also, I did try removing the bolt by tapping on the nut with a piece of wood between but it only came out about 1/2'. I didn't want to bugger up the bolt end or try to use a puller on it. What is the best way to remove it?

Lenny

Posted : May 28, 2013 12:09 pm