Clear all

Goldwing 1500 brake conversion

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
 mcy1
(@mcy1)
Topic starter

I bought a 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE with a Motorvation car from a disabled gentleman in PA. It was setup with hand controls. The shift lever is back on the deck,
but the hand brake which operates both front and rear brakes works well, but then doesn't release and stays locked up. The tech at my Honda dealer thinks that it it needs a master cylinder rebuild. No name on the master. Does anyone know the name of the company that manufactures this conversion?

Posted : February 23, 2013 11:23 am
(@jaydmc)

Do you need the hand controls? If not go back to stock. The master you have many have been made by Klick Tronics. We have only had one in the shop that we removed as it worked poor at best. What we would do here is switch the stock master to one from a GL1800 as it fits right on. It is just a different color and the banjo fitting on the end is at a different angle. The GL1800 master is large enough to also work the sidecar brake where as the stock on is not. We also are set up to be able to rebuild the stock master over sized which is what we did until Honda came out with the GL1800. The stock rear on your bike worked one front and one rear. I would go back to stock. If you do need the hand controls the way we would have done it is with the GL1800 master working the rear, one front and the sidecar brake. We would not use the second front brake. We find this to be a better options as being able to stop all 3 wheels with out one of the fronts is better then being able to stop all three wheels but only if you can work complex controls in a panic situation. Aslo we would never have put the shift lever any where but on the handle bars. You should not have to take your hands off of the bars to shift. This is stupid at best. We would go with an electirc shifter. We like the Pingle brand. Then we would either use the Pingle shift buttoms or, it is a pain to do but the bike can be wired such that the cruise control switch works the shifter when cruise main power is off and works the cruise when the main power for cruise control is on. After all you never shift while cruise control is engaged and its switches are in an ideal location for shifting and it keeps a clean look. This can also be done on the GL1800.
To fix what you have chances are that all you need do is adjust the rod into the master so that it is a bit shorter. What more then likley is happening is that the piston is not coming all the way back allowing fliud back into the resiviour.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

Posted : February 25, 2013 7:05 am
(@USAFmjscott)

Hi Jay / All,

I am a new proud owner of a GL1500 with a CSC FS III hack. Really enjoy the ride - really DON'T enjoy all the fun maintenance items I am finding out about... 🙁

Question about the conversion from GL1500 to GL1800 front brake master cylinder. My front brake is the original, and was disconnected from the sidecar disc brake. I see now why...

If I upgrade the GL1800 brake - I see the different angle (and you mentioned it below). Do you happen to remember if the banjo bolts need to be changed out? Or are the threads the same? Or do I NEED to purchase some angle bolt?

Mine was put together with a longer banjo bolt(?) and the connections back-to-back. I guess that is how they were done back then? I am going to attached a picture here for you to see. Would love any advice about switching to the GL1800 front brake...

Thanks in advance!
-Mark
'03 Harley Sportster
'88 Honda Goldwing with CSC Friendship III

Attached files

Posted : June 9, 2015 3:42 pm
(@jaydmc)

The bolts are the same, we just twist the hose to line it up.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Posted : June 10, 2015 5:06 am