attaching 2000 car ...

Notifications
Clear all

attaching 2000 car to 2012 bike

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I'm new to the site and this my first post. I have a 2000 hd ultra with a tle sidecar that I bought new. Has anybody attached a Harley hack to a 2009 and up frame? IF so did you hook up the hack brake, what will abs do to this setup? about how much might this cost to do? The reason I'm wondering is that I was considering a 2014 limited and was thinking of swapping the sidecar over to the 2012 or doing some work on the 2000. Any info or thoughts would help Thanks!

Posted : November 29, 2013 9:31 am
(@timo482)

almost none of the mount kit will work, you will have to get a 2009 mount kit - about 1200 bux [will be cheaper than getting the parts ala-cart] plus some parts for the tle that are different - brake hose and sound come to mind.

i had a 2004 tle on a 2000. swapped the bike for a 2007 - changed the wiring for the sound and the mount kit - cost about 2000 bux plus my time. plus moved my liberty tree from the 2000 to the 2007.

works just fine. at the time when it wall all said and done i would have been money ahead to have sold the pair - and gotten a new pair because of the cost of the new mount kit and the 100% depreciation of the old mount kit.

from the end of 2006 on the mount kits are VERY bike model specific, several one year only bits.

abs will work just fine - the hack hose now goes all the way to the rear caliper and attaches with a special bolt.

IF you could find a buyer for your 2000/2000 pair - you might come out better with a new [liberty] hack on a new bike -

to

Posted : November 30, 2013 4:38 pm
(@Oilrigger)

I recently put a Liberty on my 09. I have parts list if you need it. I purchased from Tri County Harley in Ohio (rebecca) as they give a 20% discount.

Rick @ 985-373-4686

Posted : December 2, 2013 4:47 am
 46u
(@46u)

On the 08 and up frame make sure you put the brace under the motor or you will bend a frame. Not needed on earlier HDs.

Posted : January 4, 2014 3:11 pm
(@Oilrigger)

I have never been told anything about a brace under the motor or bending the frame? I ran a Texas sidecar and presently have a Liberty on my 09 HD Electraglide. I bought parts from Pete at Liberty and he never mentioned it either. Can you give more information. Thanks

Posted : February 26, 2014 5:32 am
(@sidewise)

Oilrigger - 2/26/2014 10:32 AM I have never been told anything about a brace under the motor or bending the frame? I ran a Texas sidecar and presently have a Liberty on my 09 HD Electraglide. I bought parts from Pete at Liberty and he never mentioned it either. Can you give more information. Thanks

I believe the brace mentioned is part of the HD mounting kit only used when mounting an HD sidecar (TLE,CLE).

Posted : February 26, 2014 11:47 am
(@timo482)

the brace is under the bike on the NEW frames.

if hd thought it was needed, its probably needed. does that mean folks can get by without it? probably.

just remember hd does there sidecars to meet the worst possible scenario. everything we do should be stronger than what they do.

to

Posted : February 26, 2014 12:59 pm
 46u
(@46u)

I sure would not run a hack on a 2008 and later no matter what brand hack with out one. Big changes on the 2008 up frames. Some for better and some for worse.

Posted : February 26, 2014 1:23 pm
(@timo482)

whatever you do make sure you have the whole kit for the year bike you have. the manual lists all the needed parts.

in 06 i took my sidecar off my 2000 and traded the bike for a 2007

by the time i got the kit in hand and installed it - i would have been ahead to have taken the dump and traded the 2000 in with the sidecar for a new bike and sidecar together..

today you don't have that choice. i have seen lots of hd sidecars running around with morphadite mounts - I've seen two with just the right half of the lower mount mounted a inch high to avoid having the change the brake parts - all kinds of things.

it seems like a awful safety chance to do such a thing.

all that said - its most important to remember that its your bike, do what you want. you ride it. if you think its fine its fine. just don't run into me out of control cause something broke, ok?

to

Posted : February 26, 2014 4:26 pm
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for all of the replies, the info really has helped with my decision. I've decided to keep the 2000 rig together, and either do some work to the bike, or sell it out right and get a liberty car for the 2012. Oilrigger (Rick) was very helpful and spent a bit of time on the phone with me as well Claude. Thanks again to all for your helpful suggestions! This a great site with very helpful people. 🙂 🙂

Posted : February 27, 2014 7:07 am
(@timo482)

if i would have known the real cost of swapping my 00 for the 07 in late 06 i would have spent the bux on the 00.

it needed paint bad, the engine had had the cam bearing failure with the half assed hd fix.

i am happy with the 07, its gearing is too tall, power is good - nice bike.

oh well, live and learn.

to

Posted : February 27, 2014 7:15 am
(@jaydmc)

Liberty makes a nice sidecar. You might also consider our sidecars, the M72C, M72CX and the Expedition when mounted on the M72CX chassis. Some advantages over the Liberty, these sidecars are much easier to get in and out of as they have a step built into the sidecar frame, the body is cut down where you step in and the windshields fold forward out of the way. The trunks also open from the out side, seal and lock. And we offer electric trim so if it is pulling one way or the other you can trim it while riding.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Attached files

Posted : February 27, 2014 1:38 pm