Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Vetter Terraplane Sidecar for sale

I got this sidecar from a dealer who was shutting down his business. It has never been installed on a bike. I got it sometime in the early 90's and it has been stored in the barn on our summer property in Maine ever since. The property is being sold so I need to sell the sidecar. As you can see from the photos it is very dirty, and some of the bare metal parts have surface rust on them. Otherwise it's perfect. If there is any interest in it I'll give it a bath and take some more pictures. I'd like to get $1,900 but will take best offer.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Is this still available?

Yes and no. I have sold the farm where it lives, and the sidecar went with it. To the best of my knowledge the new owner has no interest in it, and I told him I would forward any interest to him.

I am very interested in the Terraplane. I have a 1991 Gold Wing to mate it to.  If you could forward my contact information on to the owner i would be very appreciative.

Thank you for your time,

Richard Botley

207 542 4775

richardjohnbotley@gmail.com

Do you know if this one is still for sale by the new farm owner, and if yes, do you know if it will mate to a 1984 BMW R8ORT.

Vetter used an odd mounting system where they had a three point mount where the upper mount was adjustable on the fly, they called it a trim grip. Then the lower mounts had what they called pylons that were specific to each and every bike. The upper rear had to be located in just the right position on the bike as you really could not move it on the sidecar and then the pylons had to be for the proper bike to the point that when Honda changed the size of the wheels on the GL1100 in 1982 Vetter had to make different pylons then they used on the 1980/81

We use to own all of the NOS Vetter hardware but sent it to scrap when I moved about 5 years ago. Just not enough demand to justify storing so much stuff that most would never sell. As far as I can remember, Vetter never made mounts for the 1984 BMW as they were not making any hardware or sidecars by 1984 however hardware for a /6 would be the same. They of course never made it for the 1991 Goldwing.

We do make mounts for both of these bikes that is bike specific. We also make a "kit" that bolts to the Vetter sidecar to convert it over to a conventional 4 point mount. Bike side mounts are $895, the change over kit for the Vetter is $750

We of course also offer sidecars starting at $3495 and include proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware with the sidecars.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I saw another Terraplane in good condition for sale this summer, but now I don't remember where I saw it.  I think it may have been at the Sidecars in the Flint Hills rally in late August.  I really like the look of the Terraplane and gave some consideration to getting it for my '91 GL1100 because it has a Vetter Windjammer II fairing on it, but I thought I'd like to remain married so passed on the opportunity.  I'm already getting complaints about the unfinished '64 Dream 305 restoration and the '91 GL1100 taking up room in the garage.  Not to mention the  '75 CB 500T in the machine shed.

I hadn't considered the possible difficulty in finding appropriate mounting hardware.

Big Tom has reacted to this post.
Big Tom

The sidecar is still for sale. I forwarded Richard's contact info to the new owner of the farm.

Bill

Bill.i know it's been 3 years but by any chance is the vetter terraplane sidecar  at the farm in maine still for sale?? I live in maine and would love to buy it.ty-curt. 207-416-6428