Clear all

UNIT leading Link info

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Anyone have information of the limitations of the UNIT leading links forks?  Just picked up one. now to build the rest of the rig...

Is missing the axle, anyone have the correct dimensions for the axle or is it a common item? What about which bike it fits and which to avoid? 

Any information or ideas are welcome. 

Posted : August 3, 2021 11:26 am
(@jaydmc)

Not so simple, each link is built for a specific bike. The axle would be the original bikes axle. It will only fit the bike or one very similar to the bike it was built for. Yes you can do some custom work to make it work on other bikes. Variables include fork tube diameter. You have shims taped to the down tubes to shim to the original fork tube diameters so that the triple tree's will clamp. If going on a bike with different diameter forks, different shims are required. Distance between the fork tubes vary from bike to bike. Brake caliper mounts will very. If you figure out what bike it came off of great. If you had to you could run the entire front wheel, brake and triple tree from the bike it was designed for on a different bike assuming you can get the headlight and other items to work. Then of course there is the question if you are going to try and run it on any other bike, what will this do for trail? Trigonometry must be done.

I would start by trying to figure out the bike it was for. First measure the shims. You can then narrow it down to what diameter forks the original bike had. Next you can measure the I.D. of the clamps around the axle. This will help narrow down the bike to what size axle.  Then you can measure the spacing for the brake caliper to further narrow it down.

You are also of course missing the fender and fender mounts. We make a very similar fender that will work with this link.

If I had to venture a guess, best guess is BMW K75/K100 running Brembo brakes. But it could be anything, Unit had a form you filled out. On it was a drawing with a bunch of points to measure on your bike and send to them. They then could build a link for a bike that they had never seen nor done before.

Sorry I could not have better news. If you get these measurements, as my GM has a K75 with one of the leading links we build I would be happy to check it against his bike to at least either confirm that it is a K bike front end or rule it out.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

Posted : August 3, 2021 11:52 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Thank you Jay. here are the measurements I took today...

UNIT LL measurements

Distance between tubes, center to center: 7”

Gap between tubes: 140 mm

Tube diameter w/o spacer: 38 mm

Tube diameter with spacer: 40 mm

Height from Center of tube top to bottom edge of swingarm: 28 ¼”

Gap between axle clamps: 5 3/8”

Outside to outside of axle clamps: 8 3/8”

Left axle bracket ID: 17 mm

Right Axle bracket ID: 21 mm

Depth of swingarm throat:  14 ¾ “

Was thinking this build would be for a lightweight intown grocery-getter, hardware store go-fer, forest road explorer, no long distance rides.  Maybe a TW200 or similar. Something more modern than an airhead, possibly with FI.

Any suggestions?

Posted : August 4, 2021 10:17 am
(@jaydmc)

I will check these measurements against my GM's K75 latter in the day. He rode my bike home last night so chances are his bike is locked in our Wearhouse which I have not opened for the day.

As to a recommendation. Kawasaki KLR 650, lots of parts for these bikes, it will do everything you ask of it, ok, nothing really well. It will do forest service roads but also if you need to get out on the freeway.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

Posted : August 5, 2021 2:50 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Thanks Jay, with your help I did a KLR rig build, was thinking to try something different, a bit slower, more relaxed puttering rig this time.  Depends on what the LL might fit.

Posted : August 5, 2021 5:51 am
(@jaydmc)

Only took the measurement for down tube spacing, you can rule out the K75/K100, Your link is narrower.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

Posted : August 5, 2021 8:49 am
(@al-olme2)

Jan,  Maybe you should go to the source.  If you know that the forks are Unit brand, try http://www.unitsidecars.co.uk/

Posted : August 5, 2021 11:31 am
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

Thanks Al, no luck though.  

UNIT Heddinghan was sold in 2009, and was up for sale again in 2014.  Don't have a lead on the new owners, if it was sold. If not, then they no longer have an active web site.  

If anyone knows who bought the UNIT line or if they are still in operation, please post up your information. 

Thanks

Posted : August 5, 2021 12:29 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)
Topic starter

FOUND IT!  this leading link was made for  a Harley Sportster. 

Wasn't the tug I had in mind for this build, so now do I sell it or proceed with a build?

Posted : August 7, 2021 5:30 am